Bancroft overlooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that was a shocker that one, real head scratcher.

I don't rate any of them, well other than Pucovski but he's off the table. I think Renshaw is most likely to be successful out of he, Harris and Bancroft but none of them are belting the door down.
Looking at the future Harry Dixon is a player with big potential as a opener but at this stage to young but will be interested in how he goes in the U19 World Cup..Harris and Puckovski last week end played premier cricket in Melbourne.The sooner Shield Cricket starts again the better for these players that are close to test selection.

Looking at the future Harry Dixon is a player with big potential as a opener but at this stage to young but will be interested in how he goes in the U19 World Cup..Harris and Puckovski last week end played premier cricket in Melbourne.The sooner Shield Cricket starts again the better for these players that are close to test selection.

Pucovski might want to actually score some runs he’s been awful this year. Yes I get the potential but he needs to be bashing the door down especially at shield level.

I thought Chandrasinghe might have been an option long term but seems like he can't hit the ball off the square, very slow scorer.

I thought Chandrasinghe might have been an option long term but seems like he can't hit the ball off the square, very slow scorer.

He makes Bryce Street look like Adam Gilchrist

I was interested in him when they said he doesn't play any short form cricket, I thought beauty we'll need an opener soon enough. Was plain to see why he doesn't play short form ha ha

I mean I'm all for that type but they can't have a SR or 20.

The purist in me says this is a negative on a number of levels.

In terms of openers in the Shield it sends a pretty strong message, particularly to the 3 that were in line for the job, we have a vacancy but we don’t think you warrant a gig, but hey Matt Renshaw you’re the next best if we have too.

Green going to 4 worries me, the Gabba and a few Windies pacemen may also. He doesn’t move his feet and strikes me as a 6 or 7 at best. Head for all his success is generally hit or miss,

I’ve got no intel on this but I just get a feel at the moment that this squad is very insular and protective of each other and wary of introducing new faces or faces that don’t fit.

That can be good and potentially very bad.

Hasn't that always been the case though? For as long as I have been watching Aus cricket there have always been players who are 'in' and get more chances than players who are 'out' as far as fitting into the team.

Hasn't that always been the case though? For as long as I have been watching Aus cricket there have always been players who are 'in' and get more chances than players who are 'out' as far as fitting into the team.
Yes most definitely - but I just have a gut feel that this group is more insular than normal - they effectively got rid of Langer which may have increased their position

Yes most definitely - but I just have a gut feel that this group is more insular than normal - they effectively got rid of Langer which may have increased their position

Whats normal though? taylor got the coach he wanted and simpson unlike langer actually was a world class coach who they axed, waugh got coach he wanted why should cummins be any different? the skipper is the boss of a test side not coach he cops it the most when they lose he should be in charge.

I find all negativity around current side almost laughable in recent times we won our first away series in over 6 years, we retained ashes we won test championship we are top ranked test side and we are odi world champs yet so many are acting like team is in crisis yet they didnt seem to worry that much when we lost 2 home series in just few years under langer.

Last edited:
Perhaps a controversial position, but I think this group has probably earned the right to have more say than normal. They've won world championships in all three formats in the last 2.5 years, with four of them playing in all three finals, six playing in two, and a bunch of the others being in multiple squads (even someone like Josh Inglis was in the squad for both the T20WC and WTC final).

I don't think they're doing anything untoward, though, are they?

If Mitch Marsh was selected in test squads because they liked having him around, that's paid off big time, right? And maybe players knowing that they're surrounded by people who will support them 100% - instead of fearing they'll be given the arse at any moment - actually works.

Greg blewett perfect example, popular bloke attractive stroke maker and also not good enough at test level yet somehow got 46 tests for an average of 34 in an era of very deep batting stocks, always been in groups and out groups difference right now is guys on the outside looking in arent guys who have been denied any opportunities like some were in 1990's/2000 they are guys who squandered multiple chances at test level.

In most eras selectors would have moved on from harris/bancroft/renshaw years ago its only lack of depth thats even keeping them in mix none of them are unlucky if they never play another test they are lucky its this era and they are still in with a shout next few years.

Form should be considered the metric, Steve Smith was in the low 30s for first 18 games or something. Didn't give him away did we.
This comparison is more favourable to Green imo. Smith initially played the role of lower order all rounder in to jag some quick runs and had a much better fc average, so pushing green up is similar career path.

Greg blewett perfect example, popular bloke attractive stroke maker and also not good enough at test level yet somehow got 46 tests for an average of 34 in an era of very deep batting stocks, always been in groups and out groups difference right now is guys on the outside looking in arent guys who have been denied any opportunities like some were in 1990's/2000 they are guys who squandered multiple chances at test level.

In most eras selectors would have moved on from harris/bancroft/renshaw years ago its only lack of depth thats even keeping them in mix none of them are unlucky if they never play another test they are lucky its this era and they are still in with a shout next few years.

It's going back a long way but I think they were pretty quick to get rid of Dean Jones back in the day. KP also someone that got punted as soon as there was a viable excuse to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats normal though? taylor got the coach he wanted and simpson unlike langer actually was a world class coach who they axed, waugh got coach he wanted why should cummins be any different? the skipper is the boss of a test side not coach he cops it the most when they lose he should be in charge.

I find all negativity around current side almost laughable in recent times we won our first away series in over 6 years, we retained ashes we won test championship we are top ranked test side and we are odi world champs yet so many are acting like team is in crisis yet they didnt seem to worry when we that much when we lost 2 home series in just few years under langer.
I’d add almost every time a coach is moved on in any sport, the players have something to do with it. Be it poor performance or bad feedback on the coach during a review.

The players should have some say anyway. They have to work with the guy in trying circumstances after all.

The players, whether or not intentional, helped move Mickey Arthur on. Certain players would have punted Buchanan if they had the chance.

Let’s not forget Langer had 4 years in the job. It is not like the players spat the dummy right away. Coaches do reach their expiry dates, some sooner than others.

It's going back a long way but I think they were pretty quick to get rid of Dean Jones back in the day. KP also someone that got punted as soon as there was a viable excuse to do it.
Yeah, Deano & Simon Katich are the two for me that particularly spring to mind getting royally shafted when it came to the test team.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon Jones was easy to replace for similar reasons to Brad Hodge.

Not all players who missed out were screwed over.

Jones was dropped after having the highest average on the previous tour to Sri Lanka. He scored 77 and an unbeaten hundred, then missed out twice in the final Test and was dropped for the next series.

Jones was dropped after having the highest average on the previous tour to Sri Lanka. He scored 77 and an unbeaten hundred, then missed out twice in the final Test and was dropped for the next series.
I know. I’m saying he may have had a bit of figjam going on. Always had that vibe from him.

It is very clever the way Cummins and co are leading Bancroft on to think he still has a chance.

This way he'll keep his mouth shut about what really happened in South Africa i.e. the bowlers all knew.

When it finally dawns on Bancroft that he has been played like a fiddle, it will be too late, Cummins and co will be retired (or close enough to it).

It is very clever the way Cummins and co are leading Bancroft on to think he still has a chance.

This way he'll keep his mouth shut about what really happened in South Africa i.e. the bowlers all knew.

When it finally dawns on Bancroft that he has been played like a fiddle, it will be too late, Cummins and co will be retired (or close enough to it).

The bowlers probably didn't know the ball was going to be sand papered on that occasion but they knew the ball was getting tampered with the 2-3 years prior to it, imo that's what Bancroft and Warner's manager are getting at.

Bancroft has dominated Shield, also need to take that into context, WA has had the flattest pitches which Green himself benefited from early in his Shield career and also Bancroft averages 20 in County and 20 in his A games, he hasn't smashed the fence down by any stretch of the imagination.

He's already said that mate.

wasn't that the series that Junior Waugh scored 4 ducks and kept his place in the side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back