Social Off Topic Thread - House of Dastardly Crax

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I should have stipulated in the general area of Apollo Bay!

I'm only down there for 4 days, so Otways will probably be the only sort of "longish" drive I'll do.

Otherwise will just hit up the beach and the cafes in that area. :)
Oh and btw no tennis, I'm going on my own. :$

Thanks allrighty

Forgot - Gentle Annie's Berry Farm in Pennyroyal. Go pick your own berries.

A must do - all sorts of berries, good value. Nice coffee shop. Take a fly veil if hot.
Speaking of picking berries...
I've got a huge tree full of mulberries that I'm too lazy to pick. They cost about $7-8 per 250g punnet I think. I usually save my strawberry containers and take kilos of mulberries in to school for the teachers - must get picking later today... once the rain stops.

Just had a thought- if you wanted your psychedelic frog avatar up, maybe you can PM the person who's asked you not to use it and tell them to put you on ignore for a month while you use the avatar, then swap it over to something else. That way the lights and movement of the frog won't bother them.

Just had a thought- if you wanted your psychedelic frog avatar up, maybe you can PM the person who's asked you not to use it and tell them to put you on ignore for a month while you use the avatar, then swap it over to something else. That way the lights and movement of the frog won't bother them.
Nah I'm cool with the turtles.

Tower Hill, 12 Apostles (though there's only about 9 now), Koalas down at Cape Otway (locals will tell you where) - hundreds of them, Otway Fly is OK, Restaurant on the river at Barwon Heads, the inland drive from Aireys Inlet to Bambra (it's a wet weather road though), stop at Bambra tennis courts for a hit, Aireys Lighthouse, Birregurra Pub. or Brae in Birry if you want to cough up $300 pp for a meal. Further afar - Port Fairy is good, Portland do the seal watch in the boat, Johanna beach. I'll let you know if I think of others.

Lol, pretty sure that's actually 5 or 6 no way there are 9!!.

Love the Koalas at Kennett River, must remember to take some seed and feed the birds there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, pretty sure that's actually 5 or 6 no way there are 9!!.

Love the Koalas at Kennett River, must remember to take some seed and feed the birds there.
What sort of birds do they have there, Shell?
We used to feed western rosellas down in Pemberton- also the 28s. The rosellas, in particular, would come up and sit on your head, hands, shoulders, wherever, and have a great feed of sunflower seeds. Woe betide anyone who had the wrong sort of seed :mad:... the birds would ignore them and go to the owners of the sunflower seeds.... which was usually us. :) We always brought plenty of seed to share.

The Western Rosella

_MG_4879%2056.jpg

A 28 parrot

jpgdAPR2cO6IQ.jpg

What sort of birds do they have there, Shell?
We used to feed western rosellas down in Pemberton- also the 28s. The rosellas, in particular, would come up and sit on your head, hands, shoulders, wherever, and have a great feed of sunflower seeds. Woe betide anyone who had the wrong sort of seed :mad:... the birds would ignore them and go to the owners of the sunflower seeds.... which was usually us. :) We always brought plenty of seed to share.

Yeah rosellas I guess. Not really a bird expert (or fan especially those who s**t on my car DIE YOU MOFOS.) But rosellas are one kind of bird I dont mind.

Check this out- last summer/spring we would have these 2 rosellas eating stuff, some flower or fruit off these two trees in our front yard. Everyday when i got home from work at 5pm, they'd be there. One day i get home from work, its like they are having this mass family reunion, I swear to god there was 30+ rosellas flying around eating from these trees!!!

Next day, was just those 2 back. o_O

Hope they come back this year. They were so cute.

Yeah rosellas I guess. Not really a bird expert (or fan especially those who s**t on my car DIE YOU MOFOS.) But rosellas are one kind of bird I dont mind.

Check this out- last summer/spring we would have these 2 rosellas eating stuff, some flower or fruit off these two trees in our front yard. Everyday when i got home from work at 5pm, they'd be there. One day i get home from work, its like they are having this mass family reunion, I swear to god there was 30+ rosellas flying around eating from these trees!!!

Next day, was just those 2 back. o_O

Hope they come back this year. They were so cute.
lol

We have some really REALLY noisy :mad: birds outside our place EVERY night in the evening. It's like all the rellies have come to live in the one tree! The black galahs are also noisy, plus we get the pink and grey galahs at times, as well. We used to have 14 magpies- now it looks like we've only got 2 families of 3 each.

My brother has a magpie that comes and knocks on his door to get mince every evening- and he can hand feed it. I use cat biscuits if I don't have any meat scraps and they sing a big 'thank you' song at their dinner bowl or up on the TV aerial - well, that's what I've told my kids, anyway :D

I don't recognise many birds either- the 28 parrots come here in very small groups, we also get the occasional rosella and we have a couple of friendly willie wagtails. One used to hitch a ride on the back of next door's horse then, when the horse stopped to eat the grass, the bird would hop off and scrap around for little insects that the horse disturbed as he ate. Unfortunately the horse died last year :cry: - I wonder if the wagtail misses him?

lol

My brother has a magpie that comes and knocks on his door to get mince every evening- and he can hand feed it. I use cat biscuits if I don't have any meat scraps and they sing a big 'thank you' song at their dinner bowl or up on the TV aerial - well, that's what I've told my kids, anyway :D

m?

Aw that is too cute. Yeah my aunty and uncle used to own a house in Kennett River on the GOR, and did the same thing with a magpie down there.

They're not always assholes and swooping n stuff...

Aw that is too cute. Yeah my aunty and uncle used to own a house in Kennett River on the GOR, and did the same thing with a magpie down there.

They're not always assholes and swooping n stuff...
I love the sound of magpies singing in the morning. :) Reminds me of home.

I thought perhaps they didn't nest near their feeding area and that's why I've never been swooped- Mum used to feed them, too, at her place. Last year, though, right above where I feed mine, one decided to build a nest right at the top of a meleleuca tree. We watched the bird sitting on the nest in rain and hail and strong winds. :( Poor little bugger! One day, though, she suddenly stopped sitting on the nest- and I wonder if a crow or something had nicked her egg(s) when she was out. Poor thing- after all that effort, too. (not sure how long it takes for their eggs to hatch- it's 21 days for chickens, so probably similar to that) Or maybe the egg(s) just weren't going to hatch. We never saw a baby magpie.

While magpies do swoop and are pretty scary- Ive never actually been attacked by a bird- until my time in Florida.

Was some black bird or something, was walking to the laundry to do my washing one Sunday morning. The ****ing thing starts bombing me, I take off, jump in the laundry just in time- and the thing (it was a glass door) was pecking at the door trying to get inside and at me.

Never been so scared in my life, was something out of "The Bird" Hitchcock ffs.

While magpies do swoop and are pretty scary- Ive never actually been attacked by a bird- until my time in Florida.

Was some black bird or something, was walking to the laundry to do my washing one Sunday morning. The ****ing thing starts bombing me, I take off, jump in the laundry just in time- and the thing (it was a glass door) was pecking at the door trying to get inside and at me.

Never been so scared in my life, was something out of "The Bird" Hitchcock ffs.
lol
Thought you might like this:

Back home my Dad used to throw food scraps out the backyard and after a while you'd see this big flock of White Ibis fly down for the scraps.

They frightened me as a kid.
whiteibis2.jpg
I don't blame you for being frightened- they're pretty big. We used to take bread down to feed the black swans but they became aggressive and, when they're as tall or taller than your little kiddies, it's best to just find another park that doesn't have swans ;) They'd come and snatch bread out of your hands...

The bloke down the road has a dozen of those birds on his front lawn all the time- don't know why he gets them and they never go to any other house... weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back