Roast Ben Kennedy gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn brought back Trent Croad, it worked for them.
I would be very surprised that the club will have him back till he retires

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like he is on his way out. I thought the whole Grundy Kennedy Broomhead Ramsay draft would make it.
Ben Kennedy is a mate on Brodie Grundys won't that upset him to split them up?
Kennedy cost us Dawes or Wellingham. Big mistake and set us back further with his development not coming on. Is McRae to blame is Buckley to blame or is Kennedy himself to blame?

Given Melbourne have Dawes on the trade table after a poor season he is hardly a loss worth getting upset about.

Kennedy has failed to develop and failed to receive regular senior opportunities so the most logical thing from here with our midfield group only expanding with the expected addition of Treloar next season is to trade Kennedy if we can gain an appropriate player/pick in return for him.

I don't see the relationship between McRae and Kennedy either with McRae the forward coach and Kennedy playing almost exclusively through the midfield.

As for Grundy. While it was nice for him in making the adjustment to live in a new state to be drafted alongside two other South Australians. I expect he has the maturity to get over a trade of Kennedy if it does happen as rumoured. Grundy wants to play for a team that can get the most out of his talent (and from a player development and particularly a young player standpoint we have always been strong) and he wants to play for a winning team. Kennedy isn't going to help him in achieving these objectives based on what we've seen to date as a player outside our best 22. So I don't see such a strong relationship between Kennedy leaving and Grundy leaving. Even as good friends. Additionally with Kennedy it has been rumoured that he is on the move to Melbourne FC. If that is the case they'll be training next door from one another.

What about Toumpas for Kennedy?

What you think Knightmare ? Could we turn him into a handy player. Has all the right attributes minus the hardness. He's a hawthorn special for mine. Could be good in the right hands.

Melbourne would want more than Kennedy for Toumpas. Toumpas was a top five selection. Kennedy a top 20 selection.

I'd certainly do it if offered in a straight trade. But my feel is Toumpas will request a trade to Port Adelaide who will a bit like with Polec a few years ago find a place for Toumpas.

Toumpas at Collingwood. While we need some of what he could offer on a wing. I'm not completely convinced he would based on his current standard of performance be a best 22 player or someone we could get even to necessarily pass a Broomhead by.

So while I'm open to Toumpas. I don't feel he is a priority to add in our situation either.

Melbourne would want more than Kennedy for Toumpas. Toumpas was a top five selection. Kennedy a top 20 selection.

I'd certainly do it if offered in a straight trade. But my feel is Toumpas will request a trade to Port Adelaide who will a bit like with Polec a few years ago find a place for Toumpas.

Toumpas at Collingwood. While we need some of what he could offer on a wing. I'm not completely convinced he would based on his current standard of performance be a best 22 player or someone we could get even to necessarily pass a Broomhead by.

So while I'm open to Toumpas. I don't feel he is a priority to add in our situation either.

outside treloar on the open market who do you think we should bring in

outside treloar on the open market who do you think we should bring in

Outside of Treloar.

Dangerfield is a must. You just have to enquire.

Cameron McCarthy although he wants to move to WA, needing another young key forward he is someone who we should take a shot at. Lewis Jetta like McCarthy wants to go back to WA, but given the quality of his game and how well he fits out need with his outside run, you have to enquire.

Brendon Goddard at Essendon is not someone who has been mentioned. But as a 30 year old on a ruined team he is someone worth trading for and a perfect list fit. Even at his age. Brent Stanton as a free agent is someone I see as underrated and likely available cheaply, though he is more someone I'd add if we add Treloar and then someone else who is seriously good as he alone isn't good enough to make us better.

Steve Johnson I definitely feel is a list fit and worth targeting given we lack good forwards. He has another two years of good football in him for mine. And if we add Treloar and Johnson then that's plenty for the addition of Johnson to be worthwhile.

Michael Talia I'm open to as a young key defender and feel will breakout probably next year if not the year after.

Cameron Ellis-Yolmen if he can be had in a Ben Kennedy trade I'd love to have as a contested ball winning beast who is just incredible at stoppages. He lacks the roundness to his game but at stoppages he can become one of the better big bodied midfielders in the game.

Jeremy Howe I'm open to for the right price as someone who at either end can help us.

Jake Carlisle I'm open to if it doesn't become a bidding war - though I suspect it will with others able to offer more to get him.

Tom Bell while he will want to move to a Queensland club, he is someone I'd enquire into as Carlton's second best player after Cripps this year. If he can be had cheaply enough I'd be open to adding him.

James Aish I'm open to for the right price without feeling he is a priority to add.

Jaeger O'Meara is a last sneaky one who I can't help but get the sense Gold Coast may be open to trading if the move is right. He did his ACL but is also said to have degenerative knees. So while he'll still take a strong deal to acquire, he could be more available than would normally be assumed.

--
In essence with all these names it comes down to value proposition and whether too much is being given up. But these are the names I'd target and have on that list of players to ask about, at least over those others believed to be available.

Outside of Treloar.

Dangerfield is a must. You just have to enquire.

Cameron McCarthy although he wants to move to WA, needing another young key forward he is someone who we should take a shot at. Lewis Jetta like McCarthy wants to go back to WA, but given the quality of his game and how well he fits out need with his outside run, you have to enquire.

Brendon Goddard at Essendon is not someone who has been mentioned. But as a 30 year old on a ruined team he is someone worth trading for and a perfect list fit. Even at his age. Brent Stanton as a free agent is someone I see as underrated and likely available cheaply, though he is more someone I'd add if we add Treloar and then someone else who is seriously good as he alone isn't good enough to make us better.

Steve Johnson I definitely feel is a list fit and worth targeting given we lack good forwards. He has another two years of good football in him for mine. And if we add Treloar and Johnson then that's plenty for the addition of Johnson to be worthwhile.

Michael Talia I'm open to as a young key defender and feel will breakout probably next year if not the year after.

Cameron Ellis-Yolmen if he can be had in a Ben Kennedy trade I'd love to have as a contested ball winning beast who is just incredible at stoppages. He lacks the roundness to his game but at stoppages he can become one of the better big bodied midfielders in the game.

Jeremy Howe I'm open to for the right price as someone who at either end can help us.

Jake Carlisle I'm open to if it doesn't become a bidding war - though I suspect it will with others able to offer more to get him.

Tom Bell while he will want to move to a Queensland club, he is someone I'd enquire into as Carlton's second best player after Cripps this year. If he can be had cheaply enough I'd be open to adding him.

James Aish I'm open to for the right price without feeling he is a priority to add.

Jaeger O'Meara is a last sneaky one who I can't help but get the sense Gold Coast may be open to trading if the move is right. He did his ACL but is also said to have degenerative knees. So while he'll still take a strong deal to acquire, he could be more available than would normally be assumed.

--
In essence with all these names it comes down to value proposition and whether too much is being given up. But these are the names I'd target and have on that list of players to ask about, at least over those others believed to be available.

danger I think we would have enquired about
mccarchy would be good but the risk of going home seems great and the cost
to be honest had not thought of brendon goddard but yes I can see he would be a good fit
stevie j I like a lot great fit for the short term, wish the club would take the risk
m talia have not seen a lot of
Cameron ellis yolmen same don't know enough about
howe agree right price,
Carlisle would be a great get, but could be like keeffe and Thomas though. on good money yet not
be able to play for two years
tom bell has improved but who does he replace in the team
aish warming to him has great talent
O'Meara agree with all of what you say
thanks for replying

Given Melbourne have Dawes on the trade table after a poor season he is hardly a loss worth getting upset about.

Kennedy has failed to develop and failed to receive regular senior opportunities so the most logical thing from here with our midfield group only expanding with the expected addition of Treloar next season is to trade Kennedy if we can gain an appropriate player/pick in return for him.

I don't see the relationship between McRae and Kennedy either with McRae the forward coach and Kennedy playing almost exclusively through the midfield.

As for Grundy. While it was nice for him in making the adjustment to live in a new state to be drafted alongside two other South Australians. I expect he has the maturity to get over a trade of Kennedy if it does happen as rumoured. Grundy wants to play for a team that can get the most out of his talent (and from a player development and particularly a young player standpoint we have always been strong) and he wants to play for a winning team. Kennedy isn't going to help him in achieving these objectives based on what we've seen to date as a player outside our best 22. So I don't see such a strong relationship between Kennedy leaving and Grundy leaving. Even as good friends. Additionally with Kennedy it has been rumoured that he is on the move to Melbourne FC. If that is the case they'll be training next door from one another.
Losing Dawes made us buy jesse White which in affect may've stopped us getting a different mature age player or better. I think the Dawes shipped has sailed when you look where we are at on the premiership clock to be honest, but cloke needs some help.

What about Toumpas for Kennedy?

What you think Knightmare ? Could we turn him into a handy player. Has all the right attributes minus the hardness. He's a hawthorn special for mine. Could be good in the right hands.
im waiting for the Jack Watts to Collingwood rubbish to start again. In all seriousness Id love the Toump for Kennedy but that won't happen. Best we can hope for with Kennedy is a pick in the 40s. We may as well just hold on to him.

Of that list I'd put Aish and Stevie J at the top and apart from Treloar, daylight to fourth spot.

Carlisle too expensive and a ban risk, and Howe will probably get offered more than hes worth as well. Not sure about Talia, key defenders not a priority though. No interest in Goddard, and Bell and McCarthy are unlikely. Pass on O'Mears. Danger unlikely too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back