Universal Love Ben McEvoy announces retirement - celebrate his career in here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for steering the ship through some choppy waters Big Boy. I remember his first season being a little maligned a player because it took him a while to get into our system - then he had a solid game in the grand final as a big in with Cyril. Has been an absolute warrior on the field for the club - always left it all on the field. Proud to have had him in the brown and gold - glad he gets to retire as a multiple premiership winner and club captain as well as a 250-gamer.

He's been such a strong pillar during our down years every single new player always mentions him even before he became captain and the impact he's had on them, will be a huge hole to fill in next year.

Our record with Big Boy in the team this years is 5-1 vs 3-11 without him, huge might have been if he stayed fit for the whole year, very underrated with his impact on field

Disappointing he's decided to hang up the boots, his on-field leadership can't be underestimated. Great servant of the club and retires with a well-deserved two flags.

Would love to see him stick around the club in a coaching role!

I think it speaks volumes of the character of the man that he probably could have gone around again next year but chose to let a young player have a crack instead and go out of his terms whilst still on top (plus he is probably hanging out to go down the farm!)

Absolute warrior and fantastic clubman. I feel like his appointment of captain went a long way to stabilising the club these last two years.

Great leader, great bloke and did exactly what was needed and expected of him in every game. Some might have scoffed at this, but there's a reason he was consistently ranked as an elite ruckman by Champion Data, and despite never being #1 or #2 on those rankings he was always thereabouts just behind. He was consistently amongst the best defensive rucks, the best goal kicking rucks and the best marking rucks. Big shoes to fill for whoever comes afterwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing he's decided to hang up the boots, his on-field leadership can't be underestimated. Great servant of the club and retires with a well-deserved two flags.

Would love to see him stick around the club in a coaching role!
Reckon he will be permanently up at the farm in the King Valley in two shakes of a lambs tail.

He was consistently amongst the best defensive rucks, the best goal kicking rucks and the best marking rucks.

For as long as he's been at the club if there was a bloke you had to stake your life on taking a big clunking mark under pressure and then slotting the goal it was Big Boy.

An exceptional person and a great footballer too, could not have asked for any more from Ben. A man of great family values who put his body on the line for our jumper as much as anyone has.

Ending a fantastic career, club captain, 250 games and multiple premiership player, the first Hawthorn captain who started his career at a different club. He should be immensely proud of what he has achieved.

Huge contributor to our club on and off the field and would hope he remains involved in some capacity going forward.

Thanks Ben , congratulations on a wonderful career and I wish him all the best with whatever he chooses to do in the next phase of his life.

What a recruiting triumph he turned out to be for us, right up there with Lake, Gibbo & Burgoyne.

We're ready for a younger captain but I'm happy they appointed him given how inspirational it was to make it back from his neck injury.

This is more disappointing than I expected it to be.

Was hoping he’d go again.
I've been expecting this announcement the past couple of years to be honest. I vaguely recall him a little while back talking of life outside of footy on the farm with his family so thought it was only a matter of time.

I think what was holding him back a little from retiring sooner was wanting to hand over the ruck duties knowing it was in safe hands. We haven't really had anyone step up to the plate until Reeves came along and he's shown enough this year he's very capable of handling the number 1 ruck position with more improvement to come. If my assumption on this is correct, just goes to show just how much of a selfless, team first orientated player he is. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back