Universal Love Ben McEvoy announces retirement - celebrate his career in here.

Remove this Banner Ad

There are many types of leader. Ben McEvoy may appear quiet and unassuming. But, in reality, he is a solid, honest man who got the most out if his ability. A man who was always there for his players, on and off the field. His come back from a broken neck is a wonderful example of hard work and dedication. Big Boy has been a very good captain for a side with so many young players.

Thank you, Ben. Enjoy your bucolic retirement!

I remember sitting at work and hearing he was traded to us without one leak or rumour of it happening.
I was thrilled and thought it should work out ok - you can say it did work out ok - thanks Saints!
Me too- I was stoked when it came to fruition.

Will be missed- a favourite. His contested grabs are gonna be missed too!

Prime big boy marking in defence, down the line and in the forward line was a pleasure to watch.

Very rare ruckman who was just so consistent and we got very lucky st kilda were classic saints footy in the trade.

Really hope he stays around for a year or two as Ramsden develops, even in a part time role

A football warrior that never flinched despite always giving a few cms in height to rival ruckman.
Thanks for all the blood and sweat whilst wearing our colours.
Enjoy retirement as you deserve it.

Big Boy. Everyone knows who that is. That says it all.

Still the only player in our team I trust to take a big contested mark when we need it.

A great get for the club at the end of 2013 who was a big part of our threepeat. Consistent, reliable, a great clubman and captain. You can tell how respected he is within our club and the league. Really glad he was able to come back and get to 250 games and depart on his own terms.

I can only agree with the tributes of others. A great choice for captain and a very dependable player with great tank and great hands. He will be greatly missed but I am sure he has made the right decision and this is the right time to announce it.

Warrior and champion of our club .

What a leader he has been , especially in the last few harder years result wise . He has managed to go too another level when we needed it.
His leadership and team first will be missed, cant help but feel BB has started the building blocks to our next era of success.

Enjoy the farm BB 👍

Sad to hear. Is still playing good footy. The neck injury seems to have had a significant effect on his desire to play AFL it would seem.

There are 2 blokes in footy who always give me absolute confidence when taking a set shot for goal. Ben Mcevoy and Luke Breust.

Macca kicked 12 goals and only 1 point in the 2015 premiership season.

Probably goes down underrated outside of hawthorn but is well rated and respected by all Hawthorn people both on and off field. Always class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be missed. Great pick up, and a well deserved duel premiership player for us. Was one of the main people who took on the responsibility, of steering through the next generation of future premiership players. His legacy for the club is impeccable.

Big Boy is one of my all-time favourite Hawks. Especially since 2017, I felt he took his game to a new level, his around the ground impact really grew & gee was he important in marking contests. He is one of the best marks we've had recently & one of the best kicks for goal.

I've always said he is incredibly underrated in terms of courage. He would put himself, his body & his head in all sorts of danger to win the ball for the team and never once took a step back. He was brilliant with his captaincy & leadership when we were crying out for it. Still maintain he should've been made captain years before it.

For me he is a champion of the club and one of the most reliable players to ever pull on a HFC guernsey. Thank you Ben for all your blood (lots of it), sweat & tears (especially loved you showing your emotions and how much you cared in the cat massacre in early 2017). Enjoy retirement with the farm and family!

We will miss you Big Boy. The ultimate professional and the leadership that just wanted everyone else to succeed, you got your flags and now captaincy, I’d say career completed to a high level.

Well done 🫶

He was part of that recruitment program that yielded stellar players from other clubs; Guerra, Gibson, Lake, Burgoyne, Hale and Gunston and special mention to Jesus. Happy to mention him amongst those great names. But can no longer hate Essendon? C’mon, Big Boy.

Big Boy is one of my all-time favourite Hawks. Especially since 2017, I felt he took his game to a new level, his around the ground impact really grew & gee was he important in marking contests. He is one of the best marks we've had recently & one of the best kicks for goal.

I've always said he is incredibly underrated in terms of courage. He would put himself, his body & his head in all sorts of danger to win the ball for the team and never once took a step back. He was brilliant with his captaincy & leadership when we were crying out for it. Still maintain he should've been made captain years before it.

For me he is a champion of the club and one of the most reliable players to ever pull on a HFC guernsey. Thank you Ben for all your blood (lots of it), sweat & tears (especially loved you showing your emotions and how much you cared in the cat massacre in early 2017). Enjoy retirement with the farm and family!
I reckon I can identify the game. We put in an absolute Barry Crocker against Geelong and he was moved to tears as he walked off the ground. It was as though it was his personal line in the sand game.

Ben's younger brother, Peter, retiring from the VFL at the end of the season as well. Peter was on Box Hill's list for a while. I remember watching him play with the development squad quite a few years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back