Strategy Best 22 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

My pick would be:

FB: Maynard - Roughead - Langdon
HB: Howe - Moore - Crisp
IC: Quaynor

Really Quaynor isn't quite in our best 7 but I think he has shown enough for us to persist with his development if he maintains form.
Quaynor has shown enough for me, we need him to get better and games is the best way to do this.

I disagree. Want Roughy taking the main forward so Moore and Howe can come off their men to intercept.

Maybe I’m being harsh but I don’t see him as an automatic selection (assuming we have a full list which never happens) and approaching 30 somebody we will need to replace sooner rather than later.

Maybe I’m being harsh but I don’t see him as an automatic selection (assuming we have a full list which never happens) and approaching 30 somebody we will need to replace sooner rather than later.
He's a tough one to replace, not his best game against Geelong but he has been a big inclusion for us. Agree that we do need to find a replacement down there but some good football left in Roughy.

He's been excellent, sign him up for another 2 years, Keane is the replacement tall defender with Darcy hopefully.

if we were to line up in a grand final tomorrow with a full healthy list (minus Beams) with games under their belts (never happens), my best 22 would be...

The Best 22

B: B.Maynard, J.Roughead, J.Crisp
HB: J.Howe, D.Moore, T.Langdon
C: S.Sidebottom, S.Pendlebury, J.Daicos
HF: J.Elliott, B.Mihochek, W.Hoskin-Elliott
F: B.Reid, J.DeGoey, J.Stephenson
R: B.Grundy, T.Adams, A.Treloar
I: I.Quaynor, C.Mayne, T.Phillips, B.Sier

In the Mix

M.Cox - opted to go with Reid, he offers more mobility (albeit not much more) + Grundy in the shortened quarters can ruck 90% solo
T.Varcoe - enjoying him at half back, i would have him as the next defender in and without much confidence in Langdon being 100% it means Varcoe will keep his spot
C.Brown - has been disappointing this season, injuries will allow him more chances to find form, battling with hosk for a spot on the HFF
M.Scharenberg - Hope he can string together some strong performances over the next few months to really show who he is, at this stage you would have to have Langdon ahead of him if fully fit
R.Wills - Hasn't done anything wrong, i just view Sier as a superior talent and player at this stage.
L.Dunn - I have him on the list as a possible Roughead change, while i wouldn't pull the trigger on this move, i think Dunn pre knee offers better ball use and a harder edge at the footy down back. Roughy obviously has the size and athleticism, better suited to more key forwards. I would love Dunn to get a run around in the 1's at some point to see how he fairs.
L.Greenwood - A hard one to gauge, was never a massive fan but certainly a combative player who gives it his all. Assuming he is returning in a back pocket role, he would really be fighting with Varcoe and IQ for that 7th defender role to offer run and carry. I feel IQ and Varcoe both do this better than Greenwood.
J.Thomas - A long way of best 22 these day, although I have him on this list over the likes of Atu, T.Brown and Noble

if we were to line up in a grand final tomorrow with a full healthy list (minus Beams) with games under their belts (never happens), my best 22 would be...

The Best 22

In the Mix

M.Cox - opted to go with Reid, he offers more mobility (albeit not much more) + Grundy in the shortened quarters can ruck 90% solo
T.Varcoe - enjoying him at half back, i would have him as the next defender in and without much confidence in Langdon being 100% it means Varcoe will keep his spot
C.Brown - has been disappointing this season, injuries will allow him more chances to find form, battling with hosk for a spot on the HFF
M.Scharenberg - Hope he can string together some strong performances over the next few months to really show who he is, at this stage you would have to have Langdon ahead of him if fully fit
R.Wills - Hasn't done anything wrong, i just view Sier as a superior talent and player at this stage.
L.Dunn - I have him on the list as a possible Roughead change, while i wouldn't pull the trigger on this move, i think Dunn pre knee offers better ball use and a harder edge at the footy down back. Roughy obviously has the size and athleticism, better suited to more key forwards. I would love Dunn to get a run around in the 1's at some point to see how he fairs.
L.Greenwood - A hard one to gauge, was never a massive fan but certainly a combative player who gives it his all. Assuming he is returning in a back pocket role, he would really be fighting with Varcoe and IQ for that 7th defender role to offer run and carry. I feel IQ and Varcoe both do this better than Greenwood.
J.Thomas - A long way of best 22 these day, although I have him on this list over the likes of Atu, T.Brown and Noble

I really like your starting 18 and can't fault it. Probably a bit controversial favoring Reid to Cox but honestly if Reid were fit he'd be our best option. I like the detail of you putting him in the pocket.

I think the bench needs a crumbing pressure forward for balance. Sier would miss. We don't have any standouts in the role but if we were playing finals I'd find it hard to overlook one of Greenwood or Varcoe. Both have the versatility to play other roles. Both have the hardness and intensity you want.

The Best 22

In the Mix

Kelly replaces Reid

My best 22 assuming all players are healthy.

FB: B.Maynard, J.Roughead, T.Langdon
HB: J.Howe, D.Moore, J.Crisp
C: T.Phillips, S.Pendlebury, J.Daicos
HF: S.Sidebottom, B.Mihochek, W.Hoskin-Elliott
FF: J.Elliott, J.DeGoey, J.Stephenson
I: I.Quaynor, C.Mayne, T.Varcoe, L.Greenwood

*I need to see more than 60 mins of Kelly to have him best 22
* JT + Noble stiff

In an ideal world where Greenwood, Langdon and Howe return, fit and firing for finals, what's our go-to backline?

With a loose man back and somebody on the bench, 7 or 8 defenders (or defensive minded players) are picked every week

Our round 7 team was:

FB: Crisp, Roughead, Varcoe
HB: Maynard, Moore, Noble
IC: Quaynor
(plus Mayne named on the wing)

If fit, lots would automatically include Howe and Langdon and take out fringe players Varcoe, Noble and Quaynor, but then are we too tall? Can all 4 of Roughy, Moore, Howe and Langdon play together?

Obviously it can be match-up dependent, but in general, would this work?

FB: Crisp, Roughead, Howe
HB: Maynard, Moore, Langdon
Then 1 or 2 of Quaynor/Varcoe/Noble/Greenwood/Mayne

Does Shaz fit in anywhere?

Thoughts?
Personally I like our new backline mix with more running players, it’s helps in getting the ball out quickly so I wouldn’t want to add to many interceptors and ruin that balance.

There's still room for Greenwood if he can pick up where he left off. Don't forget how ultra consistent he was in 2019.
I do t think there is because whilst he’s great at shutting down he doesn’t offer anything the other way.

I do t think there is because whilst he’s great at shutting down he doesn’t offer anything the other way.
Before 2019 I'd have agreed but last year I remember some really impressive rebounding efforts by Levi and his kicking definitely improved.

A good thing about Levi in my opinion is that he has a skill set where I think you could throw him just about anywhere, and his work ethic is so great that he'd be serviceable in any role. Even forward; he doesn't have a forward craft but if you absolutely had to throw him forward for whatever reason, he'd run and pressure and lay tackles, and he might even get a shot or two on goal which he might just kick.

I've given up hope of ever seeing our best 22 on the park. But we can still win the flag without it. The Eagles won it in 2018 without Naitanui and Gaff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's our Round 14 team with my exclusions/inclusions for finals:

FB: Crisp, Roughead, MadgenHowe
C: Mayne, Elliott, Daicos
HF: PhillipsSidey, CameronDe Goey, WHE
FF: Thomas, Stevo, Mihocek
FOL: Grundy, Adams, Pendles
IC: Quaynor, TBrownTreloar, CBrownLangdon, Cox

Moore/Roughy can play 2nd ruck when Grundy needs a rest
I've dropped Phillips for Sidey, but Mayne and WHE are the other options
Does Sier come into the picture if he's fit, how close to an auto selection is he? (No for me)

and that's a bloody ripper team we may actually get together for finals... if we make it...

I'd back Howe, Sidey, De Goey and Treloar to come straight back in and perform at a top level. Langdon the big unknown

Here's our Round 14 team with my exclusions/inclusions for finals:

FB: Crisp, Roughead, MadgenHowe
C: Mayne, Elliott, Daicos
HF: PhillipsSidey, CameronDe Goey, WHE
FF: Thomas, Stevo, Mihocek
FOL: Grundy, Adams, Pendles
IC: Quaynor, TBrownTreloar, CBrownLangdon, Cox

Moore/Roughy can play 2nd ruck when Grundy needs a rest
I've dropped Phillips for Sidey, but Mayne and WHE are the other options
Does Sier come into the picture if he's fit, how close to an auto selection is he? (No for me)

and that's a bloody ripper team we may actually get together for finals... if we make it...

I'd back Howe, Sidey, De Goey and Treloar to come straight back in and perform at a top level. Langdon the big unknown
We can only dream.
I think Howe is done for the year.
Langdon will come in and hopefully save us.
Greenwood should just be playing in the guts. He offers more than Sier (who i still wouldnt mind playing) and Wills (delist/trade).

In an ideal world, if we can get blokes back for finals (barring Howe) id structure up like this:

B: Langdon - Roughead - Maynard
HB: Quaynor - Moore - Crisp
C: Treloar - Adams - Daicos
R: Grundy - Pendlebury - Greenwood
HF: Elliott - Mihocek - Sidebottom
F: Stephenson - Cox - De Goey
I: Noble - Thomas - Sier - Scharenberg

This was easier than I thought. Id love to structure up like this.
Howe in for Noble if available, Noble has impressed this year though.
I understand having Langdon, Howe and Schaz in the side is one too many medium interceptors but I think Schaz is great and should be playing.

We can only dream.
I think Howe is done for the year.
Langdon will come in and hopefully save us.
Greenwood should just be playing in the guts. He offers more than Sier (who i still wouldnt mind playing) and Wills (delist/trade).

In an ideal world, if we can get blokes back for finals (barring Howe) id structure up like this:

B: Langdon - Roughead - Maynard
C: Treloar - Adams - Daicos
R: Grundy - Pendlebury - Greenwood
F: Stephenson - Cox - De Goey
I: Noble - Thomas - Sier - Scharenberg

This was easier than I thought. Id love to structure up like this.
Howe in for Noble if available, Noble has impressed this year though.
I understand having Langdon, Howe and Schaz in the side is one too many medium interceptors but I think Schaz is great and should be playing.
Totally forgot about Greenwood, definitely want him back.

Hopefully we get a bit of luck!

Wishful thinking
Langdon bone on bone doesn't seem likely by my info
Think he will retire at end of year and take the insurance payout
Howe won't be back and if so won't have touch
Tyler brown showed me he's playing over wills and seir
Think the ins will be
Sidey
Levi
Treloar
De goey
Outs
Cameron
Phillips
Mayne
Whe
Maynard roughy magden

Crisp. Moore quaynour

Daicos pendels treleor

Thomas Cox. Checkers

Stevo de goey. Elliott

Grundy Adams Greenwood

T brown noble sidey C brown

Options Varcoe, seir whe

If Howe gets up C brown or noble are out

Hoskin Elliott seems soft

Play Treloar wing
Back tyler brown in

I'm a bit more optimistic than some regarding the progression of our guys regarding health. There are guys that are obviously not in play, like Beams, and guys who are past it, like Reid, but I think come October (feels weird writing that) we could line up with:

FB: Maynard - Roughead - Howe
C: Daicos - Adams - Noble
FF: De Goey - Cox - Stephenson
FOL: Grundy - Pendlebury - Treloar
INT: Sier - Madgen - Kelly - Greenwood

Guys like the Brown brothers, Langdon, Cameron, Mayne, Phillips, Thomas, Hoskin-Elliott, Murphy and Ruscoe are on the fringe if we had all those guys available, but I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Phillips or Thomas persevered with.

We'll be getting De Goey in soon, and I think Sier and Treloar will be aiming to return soon. Then Sidebottom and Howe back for finals. Not sure about Kelly, he'd be the one I'd be most willing to let sit out the finals if he's underdone, given he's still a kid.

I think that that's a pretty bloody strong team though

My revised line up.

B: I.Quaynor, J.Roughead, B.Maynard
HB: J.Crisp, D.Moore, J.Howe
C: J.Daicos, S.Pendlebury, S.Sidebottom
F: J.DeGoey, M.Cox, J.Stephenson
I: J.Noble, T.Phillips, L.Greenwood, J.Thomas
EMG: T.Langdon, B.Sier, C.Mayne, B.Reid, T.Brown, J.Madgen,

IMO, we have 18 best 22 players locked in - its only really Hosk, Phillips, Greenwood and Thomas that I have as up in the air at this point.

Best case scenario - that is Howe playing even though he's probably losing the race with time. I think this is the best side we can play in finals.

B: Brayden Maynard - Jordan Roughead - Tom Langdon
HB: Jack Crisp - Darcy Moore - Jeremy Howe
C: Josh Daicos - Scott Pendlebury - Steele Sidebottom
HF: Jamie Elliott - Brody Mihocek - Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Jordan De Goey - Mason Cox - Josh Thomas
R: Brodie Grundy - Taylor Adams - Adam Treloar
I: Levi Greenwood - Isaac Quaynor - John Noble - Brayden Sier/Tyler Brown

E: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Tom Phillips - Chris Mayne - Darcy Cameron/Max Lynch

- If Langdon or Howe don't play, then I say reward Madgen who has been nigh on faultless. If both miss, Mayne returns.

- Can't really split Sier and T Brown. Just think it's important to have another inside mid in the side who's prepared to move the ball forward and just gives us a bit more class than Wills or Mayne. Leaning toward Brown as I probably wouldn't risk playing a recovering Sier in finals when we already have so many key players in the same position in recovering from injury.

- if anything is going to come from this season, we need to find a forward mix with x-factor. Maybe going the early crow on one good performance but Cox and Thomas' games against Carlton fill me with a bit of confidence that they can find form at the right time and hit the scoreboard. JT finally looked prepared to take the game on and have shots at goal even if he didn't nail them all, and he won a few crumbs at ground level too. Was very 2018-like. This forward mix should also include De Goey whose best performance of the year by tenfold was when he played deep against Geelong. Let him play one out and kick goals. To win finals, you must kick goals and he is our best at it.

- our best side does not include Hoskin-Elliott anymore. I expect he'll continue to play as part of the forward rotation but he has 9 goals and 12 tackles in 12 games. So he's good for the occasional crumbing goal every now and again; Stephenson and hopefully JT can do that. He doesn't have a point of difference anymore, he contributes absolutely zero off the ball, and most notably his record against top eight opponents is putrid. He doesn't do anything against good opposition.

- like WHE, wishful thinking, but Phillips' form all season just hasn't been good enough and if Treloar and Sidebottom are in and nobody is out with injury, Tom should make way. Noble and Quaynor have been fine playing half-back/wing, and they play with confidence and dare. Also their kicking is more consistent. Quaynor hasn't really played wing and more just goes for burst runs through the middle when he gets the chance, but I think he could do well enough on a wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back