Toast Round 22 = Collingwood 109-101 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes they admitted they got it wrong, but are insisting the out of bounds mark was ok

What a ******* joke. At the very least they could have conceded he juggled the bloody thing. Throw in or OOTF.

I think Pendles knew how poor he was playing and decided after that first quarter enough was enough.
He wasn't alone in the first quarter that needed to pull their socks up.

Considering how many predictions you got wrong, suggesting you have acute insight based on 2 similar observations to King is disingenuous.

Again, like so many on this forum (crazy how little it’s changed over the years) who are so quick to instantly take a shot at those they don’t like rather than think before you post, missed the point of the post

Again, like so many on this forum (crazy how little it’s changed over the years) who are so quick to instantly take a shot at those they don’t like rather than think before you post, missed the point of the post
Based on the tone and demeanor, and criticism you’ve received about your negativity, I think my post was more than fair.
I did not miss the point.

Based on the tone and demeanor, and criticism you’ve received about your negativity, I think my post was more than fair.
I did not miss the point.

You did

My post was a self deprecating based on how King and his opinions are generally viewed on this forum

Not what many viewed as me saying I’m a professional analyst like King

Seriously, that bloke has got to be the most pig headed idiot on the planet. The kid got 38 disposals, and not just cheapies, like genuinely damaging stuff. Cut them up all over the park and 1 vote?

Piss off… I haven’t seen the votes, but I’m assuming he gave out of bounds Cameron 5?
And one of either Dangerfield or Stewart 4!

haha thats pretty funny from vic police.

i see they made a post about the carlton touch against Melbourne as well. The Arc was brought in to stop the howler decisions that are so wrong its obvious.
Cameron's goal is a howler... a touch on the goal line is not as the camera angles and Quality is not up to scratch to be able to identify a fingernail on a ball.
I have seen marks paid with more ball contact from opposition than that.

and Surprise surprise.... AFL360 Gerard doesnt even bring it up tonight (because it involves geelong)... only the MELB v Carl touch

if Q touches the kick from Cameron the arc would have reviewed it silently in the background and told the umpires on the way back to the centre they need a closer look and review it as a behind... but for some unknown reason they couldnt see an obvious play on out of bounds by the same kicker. its a systemic breakdown of applying the laws of the game in an AFL match.
Imagine if one of the ruck just takes the ball off the umpire at the center bounce before he bounces the footy and just plays on and umpires say nothing and just let it go.....exactly the same as this debacle.

and then on the big screen its replayed over and over and the other umpires see it and get a bit worried about their own decisions... and what we saw happen with the last call from Geelong on the siren... the goal umpire signals a behind and then signals a goal... because hes flustered under the pressure!

See screenshots below..... he even went to signal touched before he signaled the goal... it was the worst AFL umpiring performance i have seen in a long time.

W2wThdQ.png

Loz3OnZ.png

I’m very very slowly come to the realisation that making the umpires full time won’t change anything.

We just need better umpires because the ones we have right now are terrible.

Not sure how making umpires full time suddenly means they start paying frees to Ginnivan.

They also shouldn’t need to be full time to know Cameron was out of bounds when he received that handball

They’re all just terrible and we need new ones.

The only real solution I can come up with (and it’s most certainly not a guaranteed one) is attempting to get recently retired players as umps.

They’d have the fitness to cover the ground, meaning we can maybe go back to 2 umpires so there’s more consistency in calls. I feel like they’d also have a better feel for the game and see stuff more todays umps maybe don’t.

The narrative that the umpiring was diabolical both ways is a crock - the bounce that lead to the first goal in the third shouldn’t have been recalled. It was within the circle and actually favoured Stanley, just because he chose not to jump and contest it doesn’t make it dodgy. That’s on him, he choose to stand there which enabled Cameron to tap it down to DeGoey, who was also unimpeded and allowed to run through.
One of the critical elements of umpiring that the majority of people still don't appreciate is how subjective the game is. I agree, under how the law is interpreted it was definitely play on; every single time. However, if the same thing happened to Cameron and Geelong kicked a goal from it, this board would have been ropeable. But tough t***ies, that's the game.

And as mentioned by the Geelong poster, the first Adams goal was clearly a push imo. But again, umpires make a judgement call at the time as to the effect of the action, and often, that action and result is called play on.

I didn't get a chance to see the game live, and upon watching the replay, I actually think it what really well umpired (rarely any silly holds/pushes and pretty consistent HTB decisions), save for those couple of boundary line calls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't even touch on the umpiring or the Cameron too, but, it was such a great win.
Apart from the 1st quarter, the boys really started to find their DNA again after a little struggle for a little while.

Everyone post game outside the ground was talking about Ginni. It's like he came back from the 2nds as a different player. So humble, selfless -- sometimes too selfless, as the whole crowd was riding the wave of everytime he got near the ball; the crowd would erupt. Just waiting for a goal. The next time he gets a goal, hopefully under the roof at marvel, it's gonna be insane.
Such a mature performance, it feels like he has really started to grow up the last few months, and he is still a kid. This year while challenging, it feels it's gonna put him on the right path going forward. Having played these games in the VFL might have been the best thing that could have happened to him this year.
I thought his pressure was really good, just really clean, in and under contested, a one touch plays. Could have easily had a number of goals, but was selfless and very much team orientated and gave them off to those closer to goal. The coaches would love it, even if the crowd did not haha.
It's also no surprise he provided the spark we had been missing for a while now. The game turned when he was on field, just gave us this energy we didn't have.

Lippa was fantastic. It's amazing what happens when you play players in their natural positions. Great to see him back in good form, its where he should continue for the rest of the year.

Checkers is another I was happy for. There had been multiple calls to drop him even he hadn't been in the best form and hadn't kicked a goal in a while; but he does play well against Geelong, so I was optimistic it was gonna be his night. And it was. A great return back on the scoreboard.

Thought Frampton did well, battled hard all night and it was not an easy task, but clearly his inclusion makes us better, and helps to spring Howe forward. Speaking of Howe, they could have blinked when Moore went down and put him back in defence, but they didn't. It was a good move. They trusted those down there to do the job, and having Howe forward gave a different look. It's not like its a position he is unfamilar with either.

The vets in Adams, Mitchell and Pendles had a better second half, but I dare say come next year, we'll have a new look midfield, because not sure we can have all three in the centre square.

Mcstay just keeps getting better every week, you start to understand why they targeted him, and how he does help this team. He's only getting started too. Will play a big part in september.

Bobby was really great playing up the ground, and I reckon that's where his future lies. Wing/forward, and having Ginni in the team just allows this and makes him even better. As Ginni said post game, there was a view that these two cannot play in the same team, but that's clearly not the case. Not it's just on the coaches to make it happen going forward.

2-3 days post his miracle recovery, Murphy really stood up in this game, especially when Darcy went down. The amount of intercept marks he took, even if it didn't appear he didn't had that many touches; he was instrumental.

Both Noble and IQ were great. Noble especially with his run, until he ended up on one leg and sore, but he just keeps showing up week in and week out, just doing what needs to be done for this team.

Now its onto Brisbane.

I’m very very slowly come to the realisation that making the umpires full time won’t change anything.

We just need better umpires because the ones we have right now are terrible.

Not sure how making umpires full time suddenly means they start paying frees to Ginnivan.

They also shouldn’t need to be full time to know Cameron was out of bounds when he received that handball

They’re all just terrible and we need new ones.

The only real solution I can come up with (and it’s most certainly not a guaranteed one) is attempting to get recently retired players as umps.

They’d have the fitness to cover the ground, meaning we can maybe go back to 2 umpires so there’s more consistency in calls. I feel like they’d also have a better feel for the game and see stuff more todays umps maybe don’t.
Despite not impacting the poor calls over the weekend, which were just genuine blunders, I think the AFL could do more to help umpires.

Moving away from rules where the umpire has to try and read the mind of the player (insufficient intent, resisting a tackle leading to high contact, etc.) would be a good start. Some serious investment in the ARC technology would be another - you only have to watch basically any other professional sport to realise how far behind we are in terms of high quality zoomed in camera angles, for one example.

To go all the way this year, we need to get more out of JDG. These 18 disposal, no goal games won't cut the mustard come September.

He stepped up in a huge way during the finals last year and we need that again from him. He hasn't been the same player since his suspension but we need to see a big lift over the next 2 weeks, then he'll be primed to tear apart the finals.

To go all the way this year, we need to get more out of JDG. These 18 disposal, no goal games won't cut the mustard come September.

He stepped up in a huge way during the finals last year and we need that again from him. He hasn't been the same player since his suspension but we need to see a big lift over the next 2 weeks, then he'll be primed to tear apart the finals.

Hasn’t been the same since coming back from suspension and started poorly in this one too. Strangely though, I thought he was much better after coming back on from whatever knock he got in the second(?) quarter. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

haha thats pretty funny from vic police.

i see they made a post about the carlton touch against Melbourne as well. The Arc was brought in to stop the howler decisions that are so wrong its obvious.
Cameron's goal is a howler... a touch on the goal line is not as the camera angles and Quality is not up to scratch to be able to identify a fingernail on a ball.
I have seen marks paid with more ball contact from opposition than that.

and Surprise surprise.... AFL360 Gerard doesnt even bring it up tonight (because it involves geelong)... only the MELB v Carl touch

if Q touches the kick from Cameron the arc would have reviewed it silently in the background and told the umpires on the way back to the centre they need a closer look and review it as a behind... but for some unknown reason they couldnt see an obvious play on out of bounds by the same kicker. its a systemic breakdown of applying the laws of the game in an AFL match.
Imagine if one of the ruck just takes the ball off the umpire at the center bounce before he bounces the footy and just plays on and umpires say nothing and just let it go.....exactly the same as this debacle.

and then on the big screen its replayed over and over and the other umpires see it and get a bit worried about their own decisions... and what we saw happen with the last call from Geelong on the siren... the goal umpire signals a behind and then signals a goal... because hes flustered under the pressure!

See screenshots below..... he even went to signal touched before he signaled the goal... it was the worst AFL umpiring performance i have seen in a long time.

W2wThdQ.png

Loz3OnZ.png
The initial signal is to indicate to the other umpires that a score has been attained, and not necessarily that the score itself is a behind. Customarily it is used for behinds to prevent umpires expending unnecessary energy but in this case basically just an indication that the ball doesn’t need to be collected by the umpire (as the shot was after the siren )

Technically correct by the goal umpire, but customarily a signal that gets associated with a behind being scored.

The initial signal is to indicate to the other umpires that a score has been attained, and not necessarily that the score itself is a behind. Customarily it is used for behinds to prevent umpires expending unnecessary energy but in this case basically just an indication that the ball doesn’t need to be collected by the umpire (as the shot was after the siren )

Technically correct by the goal umpire, but customarily a signal that gets associated with a behind being scored.
Nice explanation. Sounds totally logical. I'm hoping Rodan gets a GF gig.

Despite not impacting the poor calls over the weekend, which were just genuine blunders, I think the AFL could do more to help umpires.

Moving away from rules where the umpire has to try and read the mind of the player (insufficient intent, resisting a tackle leading to high contact, etc.) would be a good start. Some serious investment in the ARC technology would be another - you only have to watch basically any other professional sport to realise how far behind we are in terms of high quality zoomed in camera angles, for one example.

I don't get it though.

Good cameras are SO cheap in 2023. Even for regular consumers like us.

The AFL would be paying a pittance for high quality cameras. It's actually insane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back