Toast Round 24 = Essendon 31-101 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Minor premiership years:

1890s = 0
1900s = 3 = (1902, 1903, 1905)
1910s = 3 = (1915, 1917, 1919)
1920s = 5 = (1922, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929)
1930s = 1 = (1930)

1940s = 0
1950s = 0
1960s = 2 = (1966, 1969)
1970s = 3 = (1970, 1973, 1977)

1980s = 0
1990s = 0
2000s = 0
2010s = 2 = (2010, 2011)
2020s = 1 = (2023)

Fly's presser

Were you happy with the response tonight?
"Yeah, absolutely. We came here with a clear plan to improve parts of our defence. We've said that loud for everyone to hear, and then we can be held accountable to it. I love saying things out loud, so then we actually have to deliver them. It was pretty clear anyway, watching last week and the few weeks previous; we need to improve parts of our game and I felt we did that. 3 goals, 13 [behinds]; they missed a few but it's a step in the right direction".

What was the most pleasing thing about tonight?
"Many. There's many parts of our game that we want to be and show our pressure and you know some of those unbelievable efforts. Howie [Jeremy Howe] smothering the ball 50 metres out and Will Hoskin-Elliott spoiling the ball late in the game and looking desperate. I feel like the hunger within our group has been questionable and tonight I wouldn't have thought you could question that part of our game".

Are you back in 'form'?
"Haha. I told you form can go really quickly. I don't believe in form. I don't believe in confidence because their outcomes and our playing group hear this all the time. It might have been the first time I've expressed it. Sorry if I come across a bit angry last week, Josh. What is form? I don't believe in it. Still don't".

What about Jack Ginnivan? You must have been rapt with his performance tonight and the way he's responded in the past month?
"Yep, really pleased with the way he got to positions that we need him. To set the field up, we call it, be there when we need you. Every time guys looked out of D50, they saw him and he got used. That's one element of his game, but he's creative. He got a free kick high which was a great result for us. He's a talking point always because he finishes the goals well and he's important to us. He can impact the scoreboard, so we're really pleased for him".

Was there a turning point in Jack Ginnivan's year after spending a lot of time in the VFL?
"Yeah, I strongly believe it came down to his training standards. There was a real shift. You can get caught up in form again, but at VFL, he wasn't playing above the level. Then he got busy with his training and for a month there, he was our best trainer. Really high intensity in what he was doing and he wasn't getting rewarded for it, but he just stuck at it and opportunity presented, and games like tonight he shows what he's capable of".

Beau McCreery will be returning from suspension for the first final, can you find room for Ginnivan, McCreery and Hill all in that forward line?
"Maybe, I'm not sure yet. We're still here. Beau [McCreery] will be available. Darcy Moore will be available, but we'll have to wait and see".

How's Jamie Elliott?
"Jamie got a corky in the buttocks; the glute sorry. He'll be fine".

Nick Daicos definitely won't be playing in the first final?
"I know what you're trying to get me to say, but 'definite' is a word that we don't like to use because we don't want to put ceilings on things. He's progressing well. At this stage, I'd say he's up against it, but he's progressing well".

Finishing on top of the ladder and being minor premiers, do you see that as an achievement in and of itself?
"Of course. At the start of the year, you're here to qualify and we've won 18 games. You can't deny that 18 games in this tough 24 round competition. The first time it's been 24 rounds and it's a marathon and the bumps and bruises, the losses and the resilience to get up and go again. You have the challenges from the opposition taking things way from you. This is a tough competition, and it's so even there's small margins. You know it, you see every game we know it's small margins. There's not a massive gap between us and others, we know that. But to qualify in this position, we're absolutely proud of our efforts. Everybody, the whole club should be proud of our efforts. We thank our fans for turning up. A record amount of people have come watch us play this year. Collingwood supporters out there, we love you so much and record membership. Looking down at the barrel because we're going to need you from here on in and I know you can make a difference".

How have you assessed Brayden Maynard in the past fortnight as captain? How have you seen his leadership growth?
"He said to me when I was first arrived that he wants to be more of a leader. He wasn't sure what that looked like. He's an unbelievable competitor, and we all see that. He's just grown this last 12 months since he's been given a title, and some may need a title. Others just do it because of instinct, or [because] of the way they've been brought up. Brayden has been given a title and he's grown significantly in his leadership qualities on and off the field. Tonight was his first game as captain that's he won and he inspires many of us".

How important was the early first goal from Jordan De Goey in setting the tone for the rest of the match?
"Really important. It's funny how you look slow sometimes. We've got challenges, are we too slow? But then if your system is not in good shape then you get exposed. We went to work on that part of our game, and it's not finished. I still believe our best is in front of us, but you get some parts of your game right and then you can move the ball differently and you can defend better. We're getting to work on those parts, and then you get see our expression of D50 or our explosion and use our numbers up. It's a real weapon of ours".

Have you got your game back in good order now?
"Well, you never know do you? Because what's in front of us is still uncertain. It always is. This is the game we play. You turn up every week and there's an uncertainty attached to it. We're really pleased with the way we played tonight in major parts and I'm sure we'll look at the tape and there's many things we can do better. We live in that space that our best is in front of us".

Will do some heavy match simulation in the bye week in preparation for the Qualifying Final?
"Not sure yet. We've had a brief discussion, but until we know when we play we'll work out a schedule around that".

Did you see enough from Fin Macrae to think that you could call on him in the 22 during September?
"I'm really pleased for Fin. What a great story of perseverance, playing great footy at VFL level, [and] waiting for his opportunity. I probably communicate with Fin more than anyone on our list. We have a chat nearly every week. I'm really clear with where he stands with us. He's part of our future. Some just have to wait a bit longer, and I thought he contributed tonight. I'm going to have to watch the tape to see at what level and I love the tackle on the far side and his tenacity around that. We get to see what he's good at. I'm really rapt for him. He gets an opportunity. I think he's going to play in our VFL final on Sunday. He's that sort of kid. He says, 'can I play'? I said 'yeah, okay if you want to. Go and play and play well' because I know he will. He's been a good story of perseverance".

What's your initial assessment of Mason Cox and Darcy Cameron and how it played out in the ruck and whether you want to keep going with playing two frontline rucks?
"I think our best model in the last 18 months+ is when they're both playing at their best [and] they're both in the team. If their form drops off, we have to look for other things and Mason's form dropped off ever so slightly and Darcy's form has dropped off ever so slightly. They seem to work better together, but they need to be at their best. It's going to be hard to change at this time of the year, I would have thought? We'll still have to wait and see".

Certainly tried to give Tippa a shot without handing him the footy. A later attempt seen 5 ‘pies give Tippa space instead of entering the drop zone only for Hobbs to mark and spray his shot on goal

Even our cheer squad booed when Tippa was robbed of that opportunity.

I don’t recall seeing anything quite like that before although it didn’t hurt that, being ten goals up, Pies fans could afford to be generous towards Tippa.

Fly's presser

Were you happy with the response tonight?

What was the most pleasing thing about tonight?

Are you back in 'form'?

What about Jack Ginnivan? You must have been rapt with his performance tonight and the way he's responded in the past month?

Was there a turning point in Jack Ginnivan's year after spending a lot of time in the VFL?

Beau McCreery will be returning from suspension for the first final, can you find room for Ginnivan, McCreery and Hill all in that forward line?

How's Jamie Elliott?

Nick Daicos definitely won't be playing in the first final?

Finishing on top of the ladder and being minor premiers, do you see that as an achievement in and of itself?

How have you assessed Brayden Maynard in the past fortnight as captain? How have you seen his leadership growth?

How important was the early first goal from Jordan De Goey in setting the tone for the rest of the match?

Have you got your game back in good order now?

Will do some heavy match simulation in the bye week in preparation for the Qualifying Final?

Did you see enough from Fin Macrae to think that you could call on him in the 22 during September?

What's your initial assessment of Mason Cox and Darcy Cameron and how it played out in the ruck and whether you want to keep going with playing two frontline rucks?

Said it before, but I love how Fly talks to us fans, and talks us up. He does it consistently.

Ignore the motherhood statements, fair weather supporters and back slapers on this forum, we beat a very poor Essendon side missing some quality ( as were we ) Did what we did but gee still some worrying signs still, don’t believe in “we took our foot off the pedal crap” that’s child talk !

Onwards and upwards
Truly insufferable. What are the worrying signs (that aren’t figments of your imagination)?

Truly insufferable. What are the worrying signs (that aren’t figments of your imagination)?

Yep, I’ve been more pessimistic than most the last few weeks, but last night was pretty much perfect. Foot on the throat then ease off once the win was in the bag.

An AFL standard opponent would have been nice, though…

They were able to kick 2 goals in a row once we got 50 points up. Our boys are supposed to play like they're a goal behind the entire game don't you know?

I kinda see what he's saying. They transitioned the ball from one end to the other with ease on the odd occasion, they were able to lock it their front half which we didn't immediately clear and for patches we were being predictable kicking long down the line, but geez, it would pay to add some context to the situation. It was a dead rubber game and we were miles in front, the boys are forgiven for taking a few plays off...

Was it redman that ripped Ginny’s head off on ANZAC day as well? Probably was the worst “not paid” high free in recent history.
Sure was.

Serial scragger but seems to get away with it most of the time...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legitimately love Markov and what he brings to the side

He’s also got an absolutely fantastic attitude that I’d love for him to be able to transfer some of to other players (if he hasn’t already)

I really hope he doesn’t get omitted when the squeeze for spots comes on in 2 weeks

He’s also got an absolutely fantastic attitude that I’d love for him to be able to transfer some of to other players (if he hasn’t already)

I really hope he doesn’t get omitted when the squeeze for spots comes on in 2 weeks
Agree on all counts. I doubt he is in any danger of being dropped - for my mind, he is outperforming Noble in that running flanker role

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Good win and the minor premiership, that second half was not a good watch and Mason Redmond, he’s got a head like a robbers dog.

He’s a straight up rat

That’s twice now he’s gone after Ginnivan to take his head off intentionally “knowing” he’d get away with it

Scumbag

Given where he was at the start of the year, he's living the dream.
I love what he's brought to the team.
He's like the Energizer Bunny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back