Remove this Banner Ad

B: Turner - May - Tomlinson
HB: J Smith - Lever - Hibberd
C: Langdon - Jordon - Hunter
HF: Oliver - Petty - Sparrow
F: Schache - Brown - Harmes
R: Gawn - Grundy - Brayshaw
I: Farris-White - Dunstan - Spargo - Laurie - Melksham

Im laughing but also extremely triggered by this team.

Trac does need some more development down at Casey so well done on getting that right though. First person ive seen correctly identify that

Realistic Goody being a stubborn boring *head round 1 team;

Rivers May Hibbo
Lever Petty Salem
Jordon Brayshaw Langdon
ANB TMac Slick
Pickett Gawn Brown
Grundy Petracca Oliver

Viney Hunter Spargo Harmes Sparrow

Emg: JVR, Melksham, Bowey

Kill me. :( :gun:

Realistic Goody being a stubborn boring *head round 1 team;

Rivers May Hibbo
Lever Petty Salem
Jordon Brayshaw Langdon
ANB TMac Slick
Pickett Gawn Brown
Grundy Petracca Oliver

Viney Hunter Spargo Harmes Sparrow

Emg: JVR, Melksham, Bowey

Kill me. :( :gun:
If Bowey and JVR are not named in the starting 22 then we might as well not bother again next year. And Salem can piss right off if he is just going to be all laconic with his dinky kicks and stupid face.

I bet you are dead on though. Surprised you didn't fit Goody's best mate Melky into the best 22 though.

I think it’s a pretty safe bet, injuries aside, to say that JVR will play in the preseason/practice games. Think they generally like kids to show up well in those to get a R1 spot.

How many KPFs have won a flag in the year they debuted? Undoubtedly there would be an obvious few, but I’m not drawing any immediate examples (except Podsiadly).

I think it’s a pretty safe bet, injuries aside, to say that JVR will play in the preseason/practice games. Think they generally like kids to show up well in those to get a R1 spot.

How many KPFs have won a flag in the year they debuted? Undoubtedly there would be an obvious few, but I’m not drawing any immediate examples (except Podsiadly).

Corey McKernan would have won the Rising Star, Brownlow and Flag if not for suspension in his debut year im pretty sure. Although you could argue he was more of a ruck than a KPF

The demand to play JVR reminds me of Harry McKay. Many Carlton fans were screaming out for him, he didn't debut until his second year and even then only played two games, probably didn't really get regular games until his fourth season and now look at him. Another example is Tom Hawkins, he didn't get much of a go until his 3rd season. I actually think it's a bit weird how fascinated people are with him, not just Melbourne fans but opposition fans, freo fans already talking about poaching him, Collingwood fans talking about him in regards to the Grundy trade. The kid hasn't done anything yet. Do I want to see him get a run next year, of course but we just got to be patient.

The demand to play JVR reminds me of Harry McKay. Many Carlton fans were screaming out for him, he didn't debut until his second year and even then only played two games, probably didn't really get regular games until his fourth season and now look at him. Another example is Tom Hawkins, he didn't get much of a go until his 3rd season. I actually think it's a bit weird how fascinated people are with him, not just Melbourne fans but opposition fans, freo fans already talking about poaching him, Collingwood fans talking about him in regards to the Grundy trade. The kid hasn't done anything yet. Do I want to see him get a run next year, of course but we just got to be patient.
I Think that a lot of people saw that we needed another tall target in the forward line & JVR was the best fit player available.

I Think that a lot of people saw that we needed another tall target in the forward line & JVR was the best fit player available.
No doubt, my point is that not many forwards impact straight away. Yes I'm very interested in seeing what he can do at afl level like everyone else but I'm just saying we need to moderate our expectations on the kid.

Was his fourth year when he had most brownlow votes.

dunno why I always thought it was his rookie year. Strange.

Maybe it was coz he missed the rising star thru suspension also?

Afl.com.au's Best 22.

FB: Michael Hibberd, Steven May, Harrison Petty
HB: James Harmes, Jake Lever, Christian Salem
C: Angus Brayshaw, Clayton Oliver, Ed Langdon
HF: Kysaiah Pickett, Tom McDonald, Alex Neal-Bullen
F: Bayley Fritsch, Ben Brown, Max Gawn
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Christian Petracca, Jack Viney
I/C: Jacob Van Rooyen, Lachie Hunter, Trent Rivers, Tom Sparrow

A forward line of Gawn, Ben Brown and Tom Mcdonald will give me nightmares thinking about how slow we will be trying to defend 🐌

I honestly have no idea who those articles are for. They always so far off base. Hames on at HB :$

B: Turner - May - Tomlinson
HB: J Smith - Lever - Hibberd
C: Langdon - Jordon - Hunter
HF: Oliver - Petty - Sparrow
F: Schache - Brown - Harmes
R: Gawn - Grundy - Brayshaw
I: Farris-White - Dunstan - Spargo - Laurie - Melksham
I like it. Looked Petracca straight in the eye.

dunno why I always thought it was his rookie year. Strange.

Maybe it was coz he missed the rising star thru suspension also?
What I want to know now is if he was suspended in years other than 1994 (RS year) and 1996 (flag/Brownlow year). Would be a bit funny if those were the only seasons he copped one.

Incidentally 1994 wasn’t technically his rookie year either, he played one game in 1993. Much of a muchness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think it would have been good if he’d played a token game or two this season. A few quiet performances would have been good for experience but also doused down some of the hype I think.

The hype on Jye Amiss going into next year will be huge after his elimination final.

I actually think it would have been good if he’d played a token game or two this season. A few quiet performances would have been good for experience but also doused down some of the hype I think.

The hype on Jye Amiss going into next year will be huge after his elimination final.
No doubt perhaps could have given him a chance instead of going mitch Brown (who performed pretty well) but could have rolled the dice then. Admittedly I'm not an avid vfl watcher but from what I've seen but I just don't get the hype.

No doubt perhaps could have given him a chance instead of going mitch Brown (who performed pretty well) but could have rolled the dice then. Admittedly I'm not an avid vfl watcher but from what I've seen but I just don't get the hype.
I think people just want a KPF to straighten up our forward structure and he’s the only option that hasn’t been tried and failed yet - but there is no way any first year forward has the footy smarts required to lead and position themselves in a way that’s going to meaningfully change how our mids go inside 50. Only TMac with his fitness or running patterns has been able to do that. Maybe Fritsch when he’s hot.

Unless JVR is Charlie Curnow and he can grab anything out of a giant pack when the ball is plunked on his head he’s not going to provide any kind of respite.

I think people just want a KPF to straighten up our forward structure and he’s the only option that hasn’t been tried and failed yet - but there is no way any first year forward has the footy smarts required to lead and position themselves in a way that’s going to meaningfully change how our mids go inside 50. Only TMac with his fitness or running patterns has been able to do that. Maybe Fritsch when he’s hot.

Unless JVR is Charlie Curnow and he can grab anything out of a giant pack when the ball is plunked on his head he’s not going to provide any kind of respite.
I think the other thing is it's not as if he's tall and skinny, he looks ready to go, I guess we'll see.

if you've watched JVR play you'd know that his body positioning and strength in the contest is a key part of his game. you can't really learn that imo, it comes natural to good forwards who just know when and how to impact to their advantage to buy themselves the space they need.

just look at Weideman, he never knew how to use his body in a contest and would usually push into an opponent with his hands and that's why he couldn't take enough marks, because he was tied up in a grapple instead of using his elbows, shoulders, and hips to move an opponent while keeping his hands free.

JVR plays stronger than any big forward we have besides TMac. he has great timing with body contact, he hits hard and early. many times throughout the year i saw him move bigger ruckman off the line of the ball with a well timed bump when he was having a run in the ruck, such is his use of the body.
without TMac for the second half of the year, that was the sort of strong contest we lacked up forward. throw in his great follow up efforts at ground level, and i think those are the reasons why people wanted to see JVR come in. plus people were sick of watching BB get folded in half with minimal body contact every week.

if you've watched JVR play you'd know that his body positioning and strength in the contest is a key part of his game. you can't really learn that imo, it comes natural to good forwards who just know when and how to impact to their advantage to buy themselves the space they need.

just look at Weideman, he never knew how to use his body in a contest and would usually push into an opponent with his hands and that's why he couldn't take enough marks, because he was tied up in a grapple instead of using his elbows, shoulders, and hips to move an opponent while keeping his hands free.

JVR plays stronger than any big forward we have besides TMac. he has great timing with body contact, he hits hard and early. many times throughout the year i saw him move bigger ruckman off the line of the ball with a well timed bump when he was having a run in the ruck, such is his use of the body.
without TMac for the second half of the year, that was the sort of strong contest we lacked up forward. throw in his great follow up efforts at ground level, and i think those are the reasons why people wanted to see JVR come in. plus people were sick of watching BB get folded in half with minimal body contact every week.
We need to sign him up for a few years. Koz and JVR are priority 1 IMO. They are our future F50 guns. Need them to stick around or who we got coming through?

Best 22

B - Rivers, May, Lever
HB - Salem, Petty, Brayshaw
C - Langdon, Viney, Hunter
HF - Harmes, McDonald, Pickett
F - Fritsch, Van Rooyen, Gawn
Ruck - Grundy, Petracca, Oliver
Int - Sparrow, ANB, Smith, Dunston

Best 22

B - Rivers, May, Lever
HB - Salem, Petty, Brayshaw
C - Langdon, Viney, Hunter
HF - Harmes, McDonald, Pickett
F - Fritsch, Van Rooyen, Gawn
Ruck - Grundy, Petracca, Oliver
Int - Sparrow, ANB, Smith, Dunston
I can see the upside of including Smith for versatility, but Dunstan? Absolutely not. Spargo and Bowey are just about our two best kicks (in a team that desperately needs good ball users), very much doubt we'd leave both of them out.

I can see the upside of including Smith for versatility, but Dunstan? Absolutely not. Spargo and Bowey are just about our two best kicks (in a team that desperately needs good ball users), very much doubt we'd leave both of them out.

Spargo needs to be better in 2023, can't accept him being MIA for too much of the games like the latter part of 2022

Bowey again dropped off in 2022, needs a big 2023

Lol at Dunstan being closer to a senior game than Bowey and Spargo.

He's a solid inside mid but will only get games if Oliver, Trac and/or Viney get injured.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Spargo needs to be better in 2023, can't accept him being MIA for too much of the games like the latter part of 2022

Bowey again dropped off in 2022, needs a big 2023

You’ve already got Harmes/Pickett (According to media)/Sparrow who will rotate through the middle and Brayshaw as an emergency. Don’t need Dunstan on the bench would rather Bowey for his skills.

There was a stat that Spargo was hitting like 50% of his kicks inside 50 halfway through the season. There was a stretch that Oliver and Petracca had hit 3 kicks of their 53 to a target inside 50.

It's not even an argument, he plays

Remove this Banner Ad

Back