Prediction Best 22/23 Discussion: 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Collingwood is a good example of the footy that we should be aiming to play. They don't have any key forwards and yet they're dangerous because they take on the game with flair and speed. Something we didn't see much of last season.
Collingwood's game style and competence took everyone by surprise. They'll have a lot of time put into them this year, particularly how to manage the game when they lower the handbrake and throw everything at their opponent for 20 minute bursts.

Having said that, I agree that we do need to be less rigid and learn how to quickly counter with speed rather than work the ball slowly around the wings every single time.

I actually think the club is trying to be more like Geelong, hard to compare because Grundy isn't a forward but the use of him through the middle will cause headaches a bit like Cameron for Geelong.

B Hibberd May Bowey
HB Salem Petty Lever
C Langdon Oliver Hunter
HF Pickett Van Rooyen Petrecca
F Spargo McDonald Fritsch
FOLL Grundy Brayshaw Viney
I/C- Gawn, Harmes, Jordan, Rivers
Sub- Chandler
Emerg- Sparrow, Schache, Laurie, Tomlinson, ANB, Brown, Dunstan

I actually think the club is trying to be more like Geelong, hard to compare because Grundy isn't a forward but the use of him through the middle will cause headaches a bit like Cameron for Geelong.
Lol hey? I don't reckon we are having Grundy start on the HFF/rover, get 25 and race his opponent back inside 50 to kick 3 aswell

Maybe Blicavs as a comparison but Gawn and Grundy are nothing like Cameron

Lol hey? I don't reckon we are having Grundy start on the HFF/rover, get 25 and race his opponent back inside 50 to kick 3 aswell

Maybe Blicavs as a comparison but Gawn and Grundy are nothing like Cameron
Maybe it was blicavs I'm thinking of, I was just thinking that Grundy could cause some headaches being so versatile in the middle not so much as a forward. Anyway I would be trying to replicate Geelong rather than Collingwood.

Footy clubs all follow trends so my guess is everyone tries to play either like Geelong or like Collingwood and the club who wins will have their own unique version of that.

Reckon the league has come out of a long cycle of defence first and we're set for a couple of years of offence first. Probably see some middle to lower teams who play a totally reckless brand and have the odd big win when it works but get thumped regularly.

Hopefully we're not still stuck in 2021 kicking to the pocket trying to get throw ins.

Footy clubs all follow trends so my guess is everyone tries to play either like Geelong or like Collingwood and the club who wins will have their own unique version of that.

Reckon the league has come out of a long cycle of defence first and we're set for a couple of years of offence first. Probably see some middle to lower teams who play a totally reckless brand and have the odd big win when it works but get thumped regularly.

Hopefully we're not still stuck in 2021 kicking to the pocket trying to get throw ins.
I'd say to add to that, specifically teams started attacking from the back half again rather than locking it in forward and pressing up. Geelong, Collingwood and Sydney all burst from half back with either run or direct kicking which gave their forwards a heap of space. The 2 games we looked the best in all year were against Brisbane and they pressed so high in both games that we had insane amounts of space out the back for Fritsch, Kozzy and Melk.

I'd say to add to that, specifically teams started attacking from the back half again rather than locking it in forward and pressing up. Geelong, Collingwood and Sydney all burst from half back with either run or direct kicking which gave their forwards a heap of space. The 2 games we looked the best in all year were against Brisbane and they pressed so high in both games that we had insane amounts of space out the back for Fritsch, Kozzy and Melk.

Yep, Lions last year a good example of getting hurt badly on the way back a couple of times but doing it better (and us doing it much worse) in the Semi Final.

Collingwood very good at constantly dropping back into the space you're kicking into rather than pressing up and getting kicked over the top of, then backing the numbers they have got behind the ball to move it quickly forward.

We're going to need to be much better at running the ball aggressively out of the backline. I'm a bit concerned that we're light on for the personnel to do that unless Rivers and Bowey have huge years or we re-tool someone else into a running half back.

Yep, Lions last year a good example of getting hurt badly on the way back a couple of times but doing it better (and us doing it much worse) in the Semi Final.

Collingwood very good at constantly dropping back into the space you're kicking into rather than pressing up and getting kicked over the top of, then backing the numbers they have got behind the ball to move it quickly forward.

We're going to need to be much better at running the ball aggressively out of the backline. I'm a bit concerned that we're light on for the personnel to do that unless Rivers and Bowey have huge years or we re-tool someone else into a running half back.

Not sure you have to run it though necessarily you can do it by kicking it aswell. Hunter, May, Salem, Bowey, Pig etc. We have plenty of attack from defence.

Not sure you have to run it though necessarily you can do it by kicking it aswell. Hunter, May, Salem, Bowey, Pig etc. We have plenty of attack from defence.

Hunter is excellent at little chip kicks that help link up the play.
May and Salem are going to need some reconditioning from 2022 mode, but yes they clearly have the capability to be attacking weapons.

Hunter is excellent at little chip kicks that help link up the play.
May and Salem are going to need some reconditioning from 2022 mode, but yes they clearly have the capability to be attacking weapons.
It doesn't have to be a 50m kick though, a 25m kick into the corridor that hits Petracca allows him to turn and then hit the 50m kick. Many ways to skin the cat

It doesn't have to be a 50m kick though, a 25m kick into the corridor that hits Petracca allows him to turn and then hit the 50m kick. Many ways to skin the cat

Yeah I agree. Long kicks out of defence aren't the go unless the opposition has left a huge hole over the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I agree. Long kicks out of defence aren't the go unless the opposition has left a huge hole over the top.
It's all a training and mindset thing, part of me thinks we don't have the midfield for it but honestly when you move it quickly and you have players in space everyone's kicking looks better.

It's all a training and mindset thing, part of me thinks we don't have the midfield for it but honestly when you move it quickly and you have players in space everyone's kicking looks better.
I agree. If we actually set up to play that way I reckon we can do it. AFL level players should be comfortable hitting 25-30m kicks to leads.

FB: Hibberd - May - Lever
HB: Brayshaw - Petty - Salem
CC: Hunter - Viney - Langdon
HF: Spargo - McDonald - Neal-Bullen
FF: Fritsch - van Rooyen - Pickett
RR: Gawn - Petracca - Oliver
IC: Grundy - Harmes - Sparrow - Bowey
SB: Jordon

Big doubts over Hunter, Hibberd and McDonald going into the season due to form, age and injury respectively. Reckon Jordon, Rivers and Brown are 50/50 propositions for those spots. Also very hopeful we see Turner, Howes and Laurie sooner rather than later. Turner coming good early would also give us the option of Petty moving forward given every single KPF on the list has a question mark.

McDonald and Brown are old and injured, Schache has never put it together, van Rooyen is promising but unproven, Jefferson way too skinny.

FB: Hibberd - May - Lever
HB: Brayshaw - Petty - Salem
CC: Hunter - Viney - Langdon
HF: Spargo - McDonald - Neal-Bullen
FF: Fritsch - van Rooyen - Pickett
RR: Gawn - Petracca - Oliver
IC: Grundy - Harmes - Sparrow - Bowey
SB: Jordon

Big doubts over Hunter, Hibberd and McDonald going into the season due to form, age and injury respectively. Reckon Jordon, Rivers and Brown are 50/50 propositions for those spots. Also very hopeful we see Turner, Howes and Laurie sooner rather than later. Turner coming good early would also give us the option of Petty moving forward given every single KPF on the list has a question mark.

McDonald and Brown are old and injured, Schache has never put it together, van Rooyen is promising but unproven, Jefferson way too skinny.
Reckon this is just about spot on. Except I would have Rivers in the 22 (on the bench), Bowey to HB and Gus back in the wingers club. Hunter can start in the 2s for me.

Anyone else want a fit, big leaping, intercept marking Smith take a spot in our 22/23 this season??

Potentially could move Petty forward if TMac, Brown can't get up in time for Rnd 1?

B - J Smith, May, Rivers
HB - Brayshaw, Lever, Salem
C - Hunter, Viney, Langdon
HF - Harmes, Petty, Pickett
F - Gawn/Grundy, Van Rooyen, Fritsch
Ruck - Gawn/Grundy, Petracca, Oliver
Int - Sparrow, Chandler, ANB, Bowey

Anyone else want a fit, big leaping, intercept marking Smith take a spot in our 22/23 this season??

Potentially could move Petty forward if TMac, Brown can't get up in time for Rnd 1?

B - J Smith, May, Rivers
HF - Harmes, Petty, Pickett
F - Gawn/Grundy, Van Rooyen, Fritsch
I think he lacks a bit of football smarts to be placed in the backline. I'd prefer him forward personally.

I think he lacks a bit of football smarts to be placed in the backline. I'd prefer him forward personally.

B - Petty, May, Rivers
HF - Harmes, Van Rooyen, Pickett
F - J Smith, Gawn/Grundy, Fritsch

B - Petty, May, Rivers
I like it but obviously Goody will be putting Brown in there somehow. Much to my dislike.

B - Petty, May, Rivers

Forwardline is too tall. Even if Smith puts pressure on we will have 3 guys doing * all once the oppo get the ball.

B- J.Lever S.May M.Hibberd
HB- A.Brayshaw H.Petty C.Salem
C- E.Langdon C.Oliver L.Hunter
HF- K.Pickett J.Van Rooyen C.Spargo
F- K.Chandler T.McDonald B.Fritsch
FOLL- B.Grundy J.Viney C.Petrecca
I/C- M.Gawn, J.Harmes, T.Sparrow, J.Bowey
Sub- J.Jordan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back