Unofficial Preview Best 22! Who’s in the team Round 1, 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same worpel he dropped a few times last year and coming off major shoulder injury? Everyone is flying this time of year. And Sam supposedly loves everyone. Yes he wants worpel in form but the same goes for nash, stephens, Ward, Jai etc. Don’t mix the positive media stories for actual team selection.

I'd be absolutely staggered if Worpel isn't named round one. It seems plenty of supporters have really given up on Worps... I'm confident of a bounce back year from him.

Twenty-four and with almost 80 games behind him, I think he'll be needed to do plenty of heavy lifting amongst what's going to be an incredibly young midfield.

The afl.com article had him excel around the ball in a recent match sim which can be interpreted however one likes, but I'm happy to take that as a positive.

If he's named part of the leadership group again in 2023, I'll be even more confident he's a round one lock.

Last edited:

I'd be absolutely staggered if Worpel isn't named round 1.
I'd be absolutely staggered if Worpel isn't named round 1.

It seems plenty of supporters have really given up on Worps. So much so that you've selected Nash and Stephens ahead of him in your team.

I'm confident of a big bounce back year from Worpel. And the reports had him best on in the recent match sim.

It seems plenty of supporters have really given up on Worps. So much so that you've selected Nash and Stephens ahead of him in your team.

I'm confident of a big bounce back year from Worpel. And the reports had him best on in the recent match sim
What reports?

Sam's already said how important Worpel is mate. Very much seems Sam has taken it upon himself to get Worps back to his Crimmins winning best. Talk is Worps is flying too.

In short, he's a lock rd 1. The best of Worpel next to Newcombe and Ward at a minimum is huge for us.

Worpel has had three poor years in a row. In his four year "senior" career (excluding rookie season) he's had one good season and that was back in 2019.

He will have to prove it on the track before he's an automatic lock. In the last match sim he was predominantly playing HFF according to those who went down to watch - now that may mean nothing, but at the least it's not what you'd want to hear if you're backing him in to become our second starting midfielder.

Mitchell has shown he wants to build a skilled and versatile midfield - by drafting Ward, MacDonald, Mackenzie and Hustwaite in particular. Right now he's the least versatile and probably the least skilful of all the midfielders vying for a spot on the side.

There was just the article that was posted on the AFL site. No watchers have been trumpeting his pre-season form as far as I have read.

MacDonald has been the standout throughout, with Mackenzie starting to stand out over the last two weeks.
That's what I thought - the AFL article was just a puff piece without any info on his performance in match sims.

There was just the article that was posted on the AFL site. No watchers have been trumpeting his pre-season form as far as I have read.

MacDonald has been the standout throughout, with Mackenzie starting to stand out over the last two weeks.
Josh Gabelich from afl.com.au obviously got James to chat in detail with after the match simulation, so naturally he wrote glowingly about his match sim performance.

I have no idea whether he was great, or not. It was written that he “excelled around stoppages” - whether that’s playing as a high HF or not is anyone’s guess.

I disagree that Worpel has had one good season and 4 ordinary ones, and I’ve been one of his biggest critics. I think he has regressed every year since 2019 and it has nothing to do with other players being in our midfield. His 2020 was good, 2021 was only fair, and 2022 was poor.

He knows it’s crunch time for him in 2023 - if he doesn’t get back to being a regular contributor and at least #3 or #4 in our midfield, then his future options appear limited.

I wish him well.

Agree. If the match up isn't there for him v the Dons (perhaps Stringer), I doubt he is picked r1.
Stringer is exactly who he is best suited to. It's literally the perfect matchup for us. Size, speed and mongrel if Stringer wants to start being a hero. He would have been on Stringer last year if he wasn't injured (Stringer). Blanck will get 1st crack at 2MP. Nash goes to him when he moves up into the midfield which will happen. Frosty is a vital cog in the defence if he has the right matchup. He could play as a small defender if need be. Nobody else is as versatile including Sicily.

Frost gets judged harshly regarding the bombers game last year. It wasn't his fault the ease in which the ball flew down there the last QTR and a half. He stood little chance of stopping it and I dare say even Weitering would have struggled. 2MP kicked half his goals in the last qtr and 4 in the 2nd half from memory. All due to the momentum they had.

Worpel has had three poor years in a row. In his four year "senior" career (excluding rookie season) he's had one good season and that was back in 2019.

He will have to prove it on the track before he's an automatic lock. In the last match sim he was predominantly playing HFF according to those who went down to watch - now that may mean nothing, but at the least it's not what you'd want to hear if you're backing him in to become our second starting midfielder.

Mitchell has shown he wants to build a skilled and versatile midfield - by drafting Ward, MacDonald, Mackenzie and Hustwaite in particular. Right now he's the least versatile and probably the least skilful of all the midfielders vying for a spot on the side.
I would be suprised if Worpel isnt playing round 1 tbh.
Senior player/body in a very young midfield , think he will get first crack and the responsibilty to show the way .

If he doesnt perform he will make way very quickly .

Frost gets judged harshly regarding the bombers game last year. It wasn't his fault the ease in which the ball flew down there the last QTR and a half. He stood little chance of stopping it and I dare say even Weitering would have struggled. 2MP kicked half his goals in the last qtr and 4 in the 2nd half from memory. All due to the momentum they had.
Tom, Jai and Worps had 4 disposals total in the last quarter. 1 each.

Good luck to whoever was in our backline at that point.

This is true but there are a total of 20ish senior games experience between that 4, there’s just no way we roll that out round one (plus Duke), we’d be facing early early 2010s expansion side smashings if so.

I agree Worps is coming from a long way back but with the moves we’ve made with Tom and JOM, it would be a massive statement not to have him in the side first up. We need match hardened bodies to take some of the brunt so these younger guys can actually get meaningful experience. I just don’t know who else offers that besides maybe Nash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is true but there are a total of 20ish senior games experience between that 4, there’s just no way we roll that out round one (plus Duke), we’d be facing early early 2010s expansion side smashings if so.

I agree Worps is coming from a long way back but with the moves we’ve made with Tom and JOM, it would be a massive statement not to have him in the side first up. We need match hardened bodies to take some of the brunt so these younger guys can actually get meaningful experience. I just don’t know who else offers that besides maybe Nash.
Stephens, Nash, Newcombe and Maginness are comfortably big enough.

Add Ward, McDonald and maybe McKenzie/Moore in there and it’s balanced enough.

Worpel doesn’t get a gig just because he’s a mature body. He will get selected if he’s performing well.

As should all of our players.

No free passes, clean slate and your earn your spot, week in/out

Stephens, Nash, Newcombe and Maginness are comfortably big enough.

Add Ward, McDonald and maybe McKenzie/Moore in there and it’s balanced enough.

Worpel doesn’t get a gig just because he’s a mature body. He will get selected if he’s performing well.

As should all of our players.

No free passes, clean slate and your earn your spot, week in/out
It’s not about being big enough it’s about match experience. Nash is the most experienced of that lot with about 50 games, it’s just nothing when you compare midfields with other teams.

I totally agree though, no free rides, but given our round 1 team will be based mostly off what’s been seen on the track, it would (imo) take a pretty dire preseason for him to be overlooked.

I'm not saying we will play those four in the midfield round one. I only expect Ward and MacDonald will play, though I'd love to see Mackenzie early on as I have been championing him for months now.

I was highlighting that Mitchell has targeted a certain type of midfielder (skilful and versatile) over the last two drafts though, whose strengths contrast with that of Worpel's.

It’s not about being big enough it’s about match experience. Nash is the most experienced of that lot with about 50 games, it’s just nothing when you compare midfields with other teams.

I totally agree though, no free rides, but given our round 1 team will be based mostly off what’s been seen on the track, it would (imo) take a pretty dire preseason for him to be overlooked.
I read “match hardened bodies” and presumed that didn’t necessarily mean bodies with as much match experience possible. 😉

We have recruited / drafted taller, bigger mids (thanks goodness) and in my view that means James can’t rely on simply being a mature body who has played 5 seasons in order to get a game.

That may help in an 50/50 call, but he also has to be one of our more talented / better performed mids to secure and hold a spot.

Lynch was off for 20 mins getting another concussion test. While Kosi was getting mauled by Draper. Nothing much the mids could have done.
It was bad luck all round. We were shot once Lynch came off as we had nobody in reserve. I sensed it watching that the tide was going to turn based on that. Just didn't expect a complete capitulation and surrender as unfortunate as the circumstances were. We should have lots of motivation to fix these pricks up as they will feel they have the mental edge on us after our last game.

If Greene can play the bulk of the season, it means that Sicily will never have to set foot in the forward-line. The list really does lack genuine mid-sized forwards. Here’s hoping Serong makes great improvement in his development in the VFL this year.

Depends on the injury, but to the best of my knowledge a sprain can be an overstretch or a tear. Doesn't have to be a tear. I speak as someone who has had three sprained ankles, but only one had a (small) tear.

I'm sure someone like sven_inc could be more precise here :)
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I find it best to think of a sprain as being on the lower part of a spectrum. There's some tiny damage/disruption to the tissue so it isnt perfect, but the whole thing hasn't torn through or ruptured which is obviously down the nasty end.

Based on preseason reports and our lack of experience I went with the following lineup:

B: Sicily Blanck Hardwick
HB: Impey Frost Jiath
C: Amon Ward Morrison
HF: Moore Greene CMac
F: Breust Koschitzke Wingard
Fol: Reeves Newcombe Maginness
Int: Day Scrimshaw Meek Worpel
Sub: Stephens

I’m hoping that the team looks considerably different by the end of the year. It would be incredible for our future prospects if players like MacKenzie, Brockman, Weddle, DGB & Butler (just to name a few) push themselves into this team through good performances.

Based on preseason reports and our lack of experience I went with the following lineup:

B: Sicily Blanck Hardwick
HB: Impey Frost Jiath
C: Amon Ward Morrison
HF: Moore Greene CMac
F: Breust Koschitzke Wingard
Fol: Reeves Newcombe Maginness
Int: Day Scrimshaw Meek Worpel
Sub: Stephens

I’m hoping that the team looks considerably different by the end of the year. It would be incredible for our future prospects if players like MacKenzie, Brockman, Weddle, DGB & Butler (just to name a few) push themselves into this team through good performances.
Sensible approach.

Start with as close to the most experienced (available) line up and filter kids in as form / injuries fluctuate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back