Unofficial Preview Best 22! Who’s in the team Round 1, 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impey and Bramble are set for new roles. I’d say Bramble is all but certain to be tried on the wing in the pre-season.

If Serong, Butler, Saunders and even Seamus Mitchell can all play considerable minutes, that would solve the lack of forward-line depth.

Morris is the one that might push a spot in the best 22, which could then open the door for Day to play in the midfield.

IN: Amon, Brockman, Pick 7

B: Hardwick, Blanck, Jiath

HB: Sicily, Grainger-Barras, Scrimshaw

C: Day, Worpel, Amon

HF: Wingard, Koschitzke, Moore

F: Breust, Lewis, Brockman

R: Reeves, O’Meara, Newcombe

INT: Bramble, Ward, MacDonald, Pick 7

I had a crack at this a couple of nights ago.

Version 1.0

FB: Hardwick, Blanck, DGB
HB: Scrimshaw, Sicily, Jiath
HF: Breust, Lewis, Moore
FF: Wingard, Ramsden, Brockman

Foll: Reeves, Newk, Ward

Inter: Maginness, Lynch, JOM, Butler

Emerg: Bramble, Morrison, Frost, Kosi, MacDonald, Impey

Version 1.0

Inter: Maginness, Meek, JOM, Butler

SYL - you’ve been peaking at my list!!!

Honestly - IMO I think this is bang on. The only minor variation for me was Bramble/Morris in for Meek as the 7th defender.

Only challenge then is fitting in 2 rucks (if they don’t want to send Rama to the wolves)!

Tough!

B- Hardwick Blanck Sicily
HB- Cj Frost Day
C- Jom Newcombe Amon
HF- Cmac Scrimshaw Moore
F- Breust Lewis Reeves
R- Meek Wingard Ward
Int- Dgb Morrison Finn Impey
Sub- Pick 7
Depth- Nash Kosi Bramble Worpel Brockman Morris Butler Jeka Lynch

A lot harder than I thought to fit everyone in. A few curveballs with Meek starting ruck and Reeves playing a bit more forward, trying Scrimshaw as a 3rd tall as he’s a good mark and a great kick.
Most vulnerable for me in the 22 are Impey, Morrison and DGB with the likes of Brockman, Bramble, Kosi and Butler all pushing

FB: Sicily Blanck Hardwick
HB: Jiath Frost Scrimshaw
C: Day Newcombe Amon
HF: Moore Koschitzke MacDonald
FF: Breust Lewis Wingard
FOL: Reeves O'Meara Ward
INT: Maginness DGB Impey Lynch

EME: Morrison
Nash Butler Bramble

Last edited:
Should we wait until Meek plays for Hawthorn before we slot him in?
Seth Meyers I Give Up GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Should we wait until Meek plays for Hawthorn before we slot him in?
We should, but in the interim we should have people continue to fire up Freo supporters in the draft & FA board on Meek - the fact that they wouldn’t get a top-25 pick for a ruckman who has played 16 games in 6 years (and who will be 3rd in their ruck pecking order next year) is causing them to lose their minds!

Version 1.0

Inter: Maginness, Meek, JOM, Butler

I can't envision a game in 2023 where Morrison and Macdonald don't play if they're fit, but I guess time will tell!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardwick - Blanck - DGB
Scrimshaw - Sicily - CJ

Reeves - JOM - Ward
Amon - Newcombe - Day

Moore - Lynch - Wingard
Breust - Lewis - Butler

I/C: Finn, Impey, MacDonald, ???
Sub: ???

Depth: Morris, Morrison, Nash, Bramble, Worpel, Serong, Kosi, Frost, Brockman, Jeka, Ramsden, Pick 7, etc.

Really looking forward to a midfield unit being lead by: JOM, Newcombe, Ward, Moore, Finn and MacDonald.

Hardwick DGB. Sicily
Jiath. Jeka Day
Amon. Nash. Bramble
Wingard Scrimshaw McDonald
Breust Lewis Brockman
Reeves Newk Worpel

Int- JOM, Morris, Butler, Ward

B: Hardwick Blanck DGB

HB: Jiath Sicily Day

C: Amon Worpel Morrison

HF: Moore Kosi JOM

F: Wingard Lewis Breust

R: Reeves Newcombe Ward

Int: Lynch MacDonald Scrimshaw Impey

Emer/Next in line (in order): Nash Finn Meek Bramble Frost Morris Butler Long Jeka Brockman Serong Ramsden Pick 7 Pick 24

Despite all the doom and gloom on here I actually think we have pretty decent depth looking at that list.
We just need a few of the best 22 to step up to a more elite level… which I expect to happen more towards 2024/25 along with a couple more high picks to add some quality- can see us pushing into finals contention if this happens

Last edited:
Interesting to see Nash named in only 1 of about 10 sides so far.

Also feels weird not pencilling in Gunston or the first time in over a decade.

Also can't see Ramsden being ready for best 22 by Round 1 - think he is a bit of a longer term prospect than that.

Here's my first crack:

Hardwick, Blanck, DGB
Jiath, Sicily, Scrimshaw
Amon, JOM, Morrison
Moore, Lewis, Impey
Breust, Kozi, Wingard
Reeves, Ward, Newcombe
Day, Meek, McDonald, Bramble

That was much harder than usual! Less obvious choices, fewer 'locks' and a host of names left out that I would have said were best 22.

Definately agree with the poster above that we now have pretty good depth but lack enough elite top end talent. Hopefully some step up to that in 2023.

Oh, and guys missing from my side include: Worpel, Morris, Frost, Jeka, Lynch, Maginness, Nash, Butler, Brockman, Serong, Ramsden, Pick 7, etc.

I also personally prefer the structure with Jeka at CHB and Sicily as the 3rd tall but went with what I'm predicting to be selected.

Interesting to see Nash named in only 1 of about 10 sides so far.

Also feels weird not pencilling in Gunston or the first time in over a decade.

Also can't see Ramsden being ready for best 22 by Round 1 - think he is a bit of a longer term prospect than that.

Here's my first crack:

Hardwick, Blanck, DGB
Jiath, Sicily, Scrimshaw
Amon, JOM, Morrison
Moore, Lewis, Impey
Breust, Kozi, Wingard
Reeves, Ward, Newcombe
Day, Meek, McDonald, Bramble

That was much harder than usual! Less obvious choices, fewer 'locks' and a host of names left out that I would have said were best 22.

Definately agree with the poster above that we now have pretty good depth but lack enough elite top end talent. Hopefully some step up to that in 2023.

Oh, and guys missing from my side include: Worpel, Morris, Frost, Jeka, Lynch, Maginness, Nash, Butler, Brockman, Serong, Ramsden, Pick 7, etc.

I also personally prefer the structure with Jeka at CHB and Sicily as the 3rd tall but went with what I'm predicting to be selected.

Nashies role offers a lot structurally to our side, but if we continue to inject more midfield talent into our squad I don't see how he is an automatic selection with his deficiencies.

He'd need to start getting his hands on the footy a lot more in my opinion. Or lead the competition for tackles.

Completing a best 22 for 2023 for the first time has brought me a realisation...

Losing any of Mitchell, Gunston or McEvoy doesn't feel overly significant on an individual level but is actually quite impactful as a collective in the short term. Even though I agree with most of these moves, removing three quality names from the best 22 (and only having one come in at that level as a replacement - Amon) felt strange. No doubt we are being future focussed and these are good moves for our future that give younger players an opportunity to step up but definately noticed the short term impact when trying to complete a best 22 - certainly more 'holes' or at least less certain choices than I expected.

I really warmed to morris when played late in the year. His defensive work was as strong as any and while not a big possession getter his disposal was very good. Allowing hardwick to play a more attacking role which is only going to make us a better team, so I'll make a case for him starting.

I'll back in worpel to be our no1 clearance mid with Mitchell out and allowing jai to focus more on receiving instead of doing all the grunt work.

Frost is interesting, i'm not certain he is best 22 but for some reason I prefer him starting up forward over kosi. Has the ability to pressure when ball hits the ground .

Morris blanck hardwick
Day sicily jiath

Amon newcombe ward

Mcdonald frost Moore
Wingard Lewis bruest

Reeves, o'meara, worpel

Inter- lynch, scrimshaw, butler, Maginness , impey,bramble, Nash, Morrison, kosi, brockman, dgb

I really warmed to morris when played late in the year. His defensive work was as strong as any and while not a big possession getter his disposal was very good. Allowing hardwick to play a more attacking role which is only going to make us a better team, so I'll make a case for him starting.

I'll back in worpel to be our no1 clearance mid with Mitchell out and allowing jai to focus more on receiving instead of doing all the grunt work.

Frost is interesting, i'm not certain he is best 22 but for some reason I prefer him starting up forward over kosi. Has the ability to pressure when ball hits the ground .

Morris blanck hardwick
Day sicily jiath

Amon newcombe ward

Mcdonald frost Moore
Wingard Lewis bruest

Reeves, o'meara, worpel

Inter- lynch, scrimshaw, butler, Maginness , impey,bramble, Nash, Morrison, kosi, brockman, dgb

Agree with you on Morris and fully expected to pick him myself but then had to consider which 2 I was forced to leave out, out of Jiath, Scrimshaw or Day as I was only left with 2 spots for those 4, including Morris. Backline is definitely the hardest area to squeeze everyone in - hopefully we end up with those problems in the mids, forwards and ruck too :).

With Gunston departing, Jeka going back, Kozi losing form, Callow delisted (and McEvoy retiring), we desperately need to find someone to partner (and be an adequate foil) for Lewis up forward - otherwise he will be double and triple teamed and key backs will peel off and take intercept marks all day long.

I don't think Frost is a long term answer as an earlier poster suggested.

I personally am willing to back in Kozi. Yes, he lost all confidence in his marking in the 2nd half of last year but the year before he did ok. In fact, he averaged 3.9 marks and 1.2 contested marks in 2021 - both which are fine returns. This year, he averaged just 2.2 marks (about half) and 0.5 contested marks (less than half). He became a non aerial threat, we targeted him less and his opponents were happy to peel off him.

However, he was asked to play 2nd ruck which I think confused (and didn't suit) him at times which I don't think will be needed of him again. I also think given he has shown a decent ability to take marks before that it was a confidence thing which can be very actively worked on in the off season.

Most importantly, however, is Kozi has shown an ability to focus on an area of his game and improve it dramatically in an off season. IN the 2020/2021 off season he moved roles and worked on his forward craft with immediate results. The main knock on his game after that season was his goalkicking - where he leant back too far and missed a lot of easy shots. He worked hard on it in the 2021/2022 off season and was very significantly improved. His technique was different, he was taking on tougher shots and kicked 18 goals 8 - which is a 70% accuracy return (that is about Tony Lockett level and better than Breust's career average for what it's worth)!

Hopeful he can focus significantly on his leading patterns and marking this off season to really build his confidence around it again and give us a genuine 2nd key forward threat - it would really change the dynamics of the side (and relieve pressure not only on Lewis but on whichever ruck man is resting forward, as well as creating better opportunities for our developing smalls).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back