Best and worst kicks in the AFL?

That is fascinating, where'd you find it? I'd love to see who some of the other higher volume players well above/below average are.

I think I got it from one of those AFL info graphics that they do. I'd love to know some of the other high volume players too.

That is fascinating, where'd you find it? I'd love to see who some of the other higher volume players well above/below average are.

I heard a stat mid last year that from 2003 to now, Boomer was around 30th of the number of kicks inside forward 50. Over the same period, he was number one for effective kicks inside 50, around 70 clear of second spot.

I see what you are saying but I don't think he is anywhere near as creative as Mitchell with the options he attempts to take. That is what makes Mitchells disposal so good and the fact that he can do it off half a step with about 1/10 a second to pick his option. FOr the record I think Shiels is a good kick because of his knowledge of his limitations. Not good enough to be in here though I don't think..
Yep, that's the thing and why no one would dare try and argue Shiels' kicking is as good as Mitchell's. Mitchell is insanely good at consistently making the difficult look easy while Shiels is good at being consistent with the manageable. I reckon Shiels would be top 50% for field kicking at most other clubs, it's only the large amount of talented kickers around him that makes him seem so average.

Mitchell is the best field kick. Great penetration and accuracy on both sides.

It's hard to disagree with this except for one minor detail....Can't remember the last time Sammy kicked the pill over 40 meters much less 50!....His accuracy & ball use/Decision making under pressure by foot on both sides of his body is second to none sure, but Penetration????....Perhaps velocity would have been the better choice of word!

It's hard to disagree with this except for one minor detail....Can't remember the last time Sammy kicked the pill over 40 meters much less 50!....His accuracy & ball use/Decision making under pressure by foot on both sides of his body is second to none sure, but Penetration????....Perhaps velocity would have been the better choice of word!

I recall Mitchell kicking goals from outside 50 against the Pies on numerous occasions.

I recall Mitchell kicking goals from outside 50 against the Pies on numerous occasions.

Really????....Forgive my skepticism, but clearly he must save up his big Torps for the Pies then!

Outside 50: Hodge...Cheque, Burgers...Cheque, Lewis...Cheque....Mitchelll?...Time to visit spec savers!

Luke McGuane's got a pretty ugly kick.

The worst for me currently is Brent Stanton.

Somehow it goes to the opposition.
What? He's not even to close to the worst at Essendon, let alone the AFL.

Steve Johnson is the best kick.
He's like Hodgey, both can pinpoint ridiculous passes at times and are generally good kicks, however they are known to do the odd shank every now and again. Moreso than the truly elite kickers of the footy where errors are rarer.

Crows-Grigg,Yeansch,Mckay,Wigg,Smith
M.Crouch,

Lions-Hanley,Rich,Aish,Mayes
Paparone,Bewick

Blues-Gibbs,Viojo-Rainbow,Watson,Touhey,Yarran,Menzel
Smith,Casboult,Curnow,Armfield,
Pies-Pendles,Sidebottom,Seedsman
Marsh,Adams
Bombers-Goddard,Hibberd,Myers, Merret(will be one of the best kicks in the comp in 2-3 years),Dalgiesh
Stanton,Daniher
Dockers-Mundy,Walters,Hill,Weller,
Clancee
Cats-Stokes,Motlop,
Dawson,Blicavs
Suns-Mckenzie,Malceski,Bennel,KK
Russel,Rory Thompson
Giants-Kelly,Whitfield,Wilson,
Palmer,
Hawks-Suckling,Mitchel Duryea(doesn't get enough credit),Burgoyne,Birchell
Puopolo,Gibson

Melbourne- Brayshaw,Watts,Salem,Dunn,Tyson
Viney,Terlich,

North-Higgans,Dal Santo,Mckenzie,
Jacobs,Grima
Port-Broadbent,hartlett,Amon, Hombsch,
Mitchell,Butcher,

Tigers-Newman,Ellis,Knights,Houli
Pettard,Chaplin,
Saints-Webster,Billings,Schnider,Sippos,
Weller,Wright,Bruce,Delaney

Swans-Mcveigh,Buddy,
Bird,Reid,
Eagles-Hurn,Lecras,Ellis,Waters
Lucas,Hutchings,Priddis

Doggies-Webb,Daniel,Stringer,Darley,Murphy,Fuller
Picken,Smith,Talia

Best kicks
1.Hartlett
2.Hanley
3.Goddard
4.Mitchell
5.Hurn

I tend to agree, & I could be wrong but I'm sure Sam missed a couple of set shots late in thee season from around 40m on the left to ease pressure on his right hammy? Didn't get touched, 3/4 the way up the post but offline?

Sam Mitchell has a bullet like foot, or feet really considering how good on both sides he is.

But yes, I think Procrastinator35 is spot on with pointing out the distinction between that and penetration. Or at least, distance.

I'd still rate him one of the best kicks going around overall, though.

Zach Merrett is one I'm incredibly excited about from my club, and his kicking is a major part of why.

Sam Mitchell has a bullet like foot, or feet really considering how good on both sides he is.

But yes, I think Procrastinator35 is spot on with pointing out the distinction between that and penetration. Or at least, distance.

I'd still rate him one of the best kicks going around overall, though.

Zach Merrett is one I'm incredibly excited about from my club, and his kicking is a major part of why.

Indeed & this brings up a very important distinction!

Is the best kick the bloke who can roost it over 60 meters consistently ah la Flether & suckling, or the bloke who has the best kicking efficiency ratio in terms of hitting targets?

Mitchell & mids in general are grader harder for mine, as a high percentage of their kicks are gotten under extreme pressure....Whereas defenders like Birchall for example, who find themselves continually in space & 'hit-up' blokes a mere 30 meters away get higher numbers on their KPI'S.....This factor alone leaves me skeptical when analyzing/assessing the best kicks in the comp so far as kicking efficiency ratios are concerned.

Indeed & this brings up a very important distinction!

Is the best kick the bloke who can roost it over 60 meters consistently ah la Flether & suckling, or the bloke who has the best kicking efficiency ratio in terms of hitting targets?

Mitchell & mids in general are grader harder for mine, as a high percentage of their kicks are gotten under extreme pressure....Whereas defenders like Birchall for example, who find themselves continually in space & 'hit-up' blokes a mere 30 meters away get higher numbers on their KPI'S.....This factor alone leaves me skeptical when analyzing/assessing the best kicks in the comp so far as kicking efficiency ratios are concerned.
This is the thing that would get me when people say Robert Harvey couldn't kick. Sure he rarely roosted goals from 50 out but he consistently hit short targets by foot under huge pressure coming out of a congested midfield and was a brilliant delivery to a leading man.

Back