Best forward 6 of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I know it's based on the one about the best back 6 of all time and Hawthorn probably win this one, but since it's season over for 12 teams may as well...

The Eagles one is probably fairly weak but quite competitive.

Darling Kennedy Embley
Ph Matera Sumich LeCras

Post yours - or not.

Carey CHF
Blight FF
Harvey on a flank
Jim Krakouer in a pocket

Probably throw in Grant as a forward flanker & one of Longmire, Petrie or P.Krakouer.

Definitely weak at the 5th & 6th spot for an all time 6 - but first 4 hold up real well.

Essendon:

Hird Salmon Mercuri
Bewick Lloyd Watson

Probably forgetting someone...

Franklin Roughead Brereton
Breust Dunstall Matthews

Am I stiff leaving out Hudson/Rioli... I dunno I like the above team

Craig McRae, Alistair Lynch, Luke Power.
Jason Akermanis, Jonathan Brown, Daniel Bradshaw.

Franklin Roughead Brereton
Breust Dunstall Matthews

Am I stiff leaving out Hudson/Rioli... I dunno I like the above team

Yeah, you don't leave Hudson out

Brereton Matthews Franklin
Rioli Hudson Dunstall

Rough, Breust, Peck (on of few players to win the Coleman three years in a row), Buckenarra, Jarman, all unlucky

And you could argue that Gary Ablett could be included too, which would make it ridiculous

This is the forward 6 from an All Australian team I picked from the period 1975 until now made up of players from the VFL/AFL, SANFL and the WAFL:

Ross Glendinning Royce Hart Wayne Johnston
Tony Lockett Jason Dunstall Lance 'Buddy' Franklin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HF: J.Cameron Hawkins G.Ablett Snr.
FF: Chapman Wade S.Johnson

2012 jumpin', leapin' Hawkins before the back issues.

Senior in that roaming role '84 through '89, interchangeable with the smalls in the pocket.

Wade the target man.

Chapman and Johnson fairly self explanatory as mobile pockets/flankers who push up the ground as well.

Cameron was poor when injured this year and is controversial based on his brief time as a Cat. But peak Cameron on a flank in this side would tear teams apart more than alternatives like Davis.

Ablett Junior played forward well before and after his peak. I have no doubt he'd have dominated on a flank 2007-2014 as well so there's your mobile forward rotation if required.

Geelong's 'd be up there I reckon. Not Hawks level, but probably Top 3-5.

HF: S. Johnson, Ablett Snr., Ablett Jnr.
F: D. Wade, T. Hawkins, P. Chapman

Doug Wade (1057 goals)
Ablett Snr. (1031 goals)
Hawkins (781 goals - current)
Steve Johnson (516 goals)
Ablett Jnr. (445 goals)
Paul Chapman (388 goals)

Combined 4000+ goals there. Ablett Jnr. slightly controversial, but he was a goal kicking forward for 7 years before he became a mid, so would be criminal to have guys like Brownless or Jez Cameron who has only been with us for 3 years, ahead of him.

Love the balance of that forward line too, and salivate at the the thought of those champs all playing together in a hypothetical universe, haha.

Yeah, you don't leave Hudson out

Brereton Matthews Franklin
Rioli Hudson Dunstall

Rough, Breust, Peck (on of few players to win the Coleman three years in a row), Buckenarra, Jarman, all unlucky

And you could argue that Gary Ablett could be included too, which would make it ridiculous

Ablett kicked 10 of his 1031 goals with you, lol. Not sure you could argue that with a straight face. You already have more than enough quality to win this outright, so no need to include Ablett when he'd never be remembered as a Hawk anyway.

The Hawthorn forwards are absurd (cannot really include Ablett imo but you don't need him). Four can make legitimate claims to be in an all time AFL team and whoever you pick in the last two will be Hall of Fame level or close to it.

Probably a better debate is who is second - Geelong? Richmond? Essendon? Any other teams in contention?

Ablett kicked 10 of his 1031 goals with you, lol. Not sure you could argue that with a straight face. You already have more than enough quality to win this outright, so no need to include Ablett when he'd never be remembered as a Hawk anyway.

Obviously I didn't include him but on a technicality you could. He's listed in the AFL team of the century as (Geelong, Hawthorn)

By the way if you did, this is what it would look like:

Ablett Matthews Franklin
Rioli Hudson Dunstall

Probably the best forward line period, minus Lockett.

Pies:
HF: Fothergill, Carman, Daicos
FF: Rose, G Coventry, Condon

Fothergill was a fat arsed HFF who was an unstoppable goal machine, old timers say he was better than Daicos. Phil Carman played the best football anyone ever saw albeit for short periods. P Daicos you should know, if you don't, watch some footy. Bob Rose was a murderous hard rover and perhaps the best Magpie of all. Dick Condon was another smart arse genius, invented the stab pass and tore sides apart before WWI. We have probably 3 forward 6s as good as anyones.

Darren Jarman, Tony Modra, Eddie Betts
Mark Ricciuto, Taylor Walker, Brett Burton

Obviously I didn't include him but on a technicality you could. He's listed in the AFL team of the century as (Geelong, Hawthorn)

By the way if you did, this is what it would look like:

Ablett Matthews Franklin
Rioli Hudson Dunstall

Probably the best forward line period, minus Lockett.
The best forward 6 that played together in my time (late 1970s onwards) was Hawthorn 1988. Witman Brereton Kennedy Abbott Dunstall Morrissey. Dismantled and humiliated the brutal Melbourne defence like they weren't there. Underrated and several lesser known but that year and that day, they have no peer.

People talk about Hudson and Matthews, fair enough they were brilliant but they were selfish players who made their team mates worse.

Dunstall is second only to Lockett for effectiveness as a pure FF and a superb team mate and brilliant defensive forward too: he didnt eat himself into a worse player like Plugger. GOAT Hawk in my view. Shame he's so unlikeable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back