Best game you have ever seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stewie Griffin

All Australian
Sep 25, 2007
Quahog
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This has probably been done before but what game do you consider to be the best game you have ever seen?

For me it would be Hawthorn vs Geelong - Round 6 1989. 51 goals kicked. Hawks were 8 goals down at half time and got up to win. Just a super game.

Was at that game, and despite the Cats losing, have to agree it was an amazing game. From memory, Ablett was on fire on the wing in the first half (faded after that, as did most of the Cats team), and Exell kicked 9 goals or something. Add to that the GF played that year and it was a couple of great games played by the two teams that year. Would have been nicer to win them of course, but such is life.

Rd 17 1999: North Melbourne Vs Essendon.

Carey kicked 10, Lloyd 9, 66,500 saw one of the best games of the decade. The opening qtr had to be seen to be believed 15 goals kicked!! was amazing

Round 22: Port Adelaide V Brisbane 2002 @ Footy Park.

We won 13.12 (90) to 13.6 (84) in front of 46,439.

Unbelieveable game of football. 1v2 fight for the minor premiership

...If only it was the premiership.

This has probably been done before but what game do you consider to be the best game you have ever seen?

For me it would be Hawthorn vs Geelong - Round 6 1989. 51 goals kicked. Hawks were 8 goals down at half time and got up to win. Just a super game.

Was at the game, too. Arrived late at the Park by end of 2nd quarter and was sure we already packed it in. It's also the only fond memory I have of that oval.

The other cracker game was the prelim final in 1987 between Hawthorn and Melbourne. From where I was sitting, when Bucks went for the penalty shot, you could hear a pin drop. How sweet it was. :thumbsu:

1993 Preliminary Final, Essendon vs Adelaide.

Sensational Essendon comeback from 42 points down at half-time to defeat the Crows. The Bombers took that momentum into the GF against Carlton the following week.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably Collingwood/WCE springs to mind because its so new. From a Richmond perspective hard to top the Brisbane game this year, because we don't win close ones.

Other sports include
2003 Rugby World Cup, Australia vs England
Super Bowl this year, Patriots vs Giants

For my own club, the two that stick out in my memory are...
Carlton vs. Essendon, 1999 Prelim Final
Carlton vs. Essendon, Round 3, 2007 (comeback from 48 points down)

From a neutral point of view the 2005 and 2006 Grand Finals are probably the most exciting games I've watched. Not the best games, but the scoreline and the fact that they were grand finals means they'll be hard to forget.

As someone who did not support either team, the 1984 2nd Semi Final, Hawthorn v Essendon was one hell of an incredible game to be at.:thumbsu:

As a Lions fan, can never go past watching your team win a grand final. 2001 was special as we were behind and given little chance in the lead up to the match.

2000 QF Melbourne Vs Carlton was sweet-32 points down at 3 quater time or something like that Green and Bruce in the first seasons go absoloutley nuts in the last quater.
The Freo game this year was awesome 52 points down at halve time.
As for sides i dont support the 05 and 06 Granny's were awesome as well as the Collingwood, West Coast Pre-Lim.

For My club: the round 15, 2007 clash between St Kilda and Adelaide stood out for Rooey's captain's game in the last quarter.

Also agree with above poster regarding 2003 Rugby world cup final, although the Semi where we beat the Kiwis was a better result!

1999 Preliminary Final, Carlton vs Essendon.

Best Carlton game I've ever seen, simply amazing.

Most memorable, most ecstasy-inducing game - no doubt. Wasn't an unreal game in terms of skills etc though.

Best game in terms of having everything - R20 1995 Carlton vs West Coast. Reigning premiers vs the side that ended up winning the flag that year, played at Subiaco. Blues won by a point after SOS went forward and kicked goals. The intensity, skill level and nail-bitingness in that game was unbelievable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back