BHP Any one game to pull the trigger?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jammer

All Australian
Jun 26, 2007
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Broke under the $28 mark which I believe is a 5 year low...
Still a bit of pain to come according to may experts but that
dividend yield will be too tempting to me if it goes below $26

Anyone thinking of buying?

I would hold off a while longer- the price of iron ore could still be bottoming out. Some analysts have predicted $60/mt.

If it does get that low, I expect to see a lot of the junior minors forced out of the market and guys like BHP, RIO, FMG and Vale to emerge stronger than ever from it.

Still to early to pull the trigger on BHP, IMO.

Does anyone know of Rinehart's Hancock Prospecting will ever go public? I know Roy Hill is about to fire up.

BHP was $48.70 in 2008. Then $21.90 in 2008. Hasn't been that high or low since. Right now it's sitting around 2006 levels.

With the iron ore price continuing to fall I can't see the share price going anywhere but down. Will be interesting to follow what happans with "South32" also. If BHP can get rid of millstones like Nickel West and if the iron ore price picks up then getting in at $20 or less could be a real money spinner.

Glad I got in at $27.5. Could have waited a day and got it at ~$26 but its up 16% since then. I'm keen to see how the demerger will affect things

The falling $ will boost profits but I am not sure of the impact of the falling oil price. They will save a heap on their global fuel bill but will lose out on oil revenues.

well done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.news.com.au/finance/mark...istoric-collapse/story-e6frfm30-1227434566666

$44/tonne.

BHP was $48.70 in 2008. Then $21.90 in 2008. Hasn't been that high or low since. Right now it's sitting around 2006 levels.

With the iron ore price continuing to fall I can't see the share price going anywhere but down. Will be interesting to follow what happans with "South32" also. If BHP can get rid of millstones like Nickel West and if the iron ore price picks up then getting in at $20 or less could be a real money spinner.

I'll stick by this.

Not to sure on the stock thing, but if you look in to Minning it has a history of ups and downs.

What bhp are currently doing with the iron ore they have been doing with coal for a few years already. The demand for the iron ore and coal is still there stronger than ever as we are still exporting record amounts. But dollar per tonne is low is due to the market being flooded. With the approval Nd expansions of so many mines in the last decade, other companies growing and starting up, BHP can produce its product cheaper on larger scale and sustain losses for longer. It's all about getting a bigger share of the market and destroying opposition. Minning runs on 5 to 7 years cycles. To the BHP share will defiantly be back up there in a matter of time

Not to sure on the stock thing, but if you look in to Minning it has a history of ups and downs.

What bhp are currently doing with the iron ore they have been doing with coal for a few years already. The demand for the iron ore and coal is still there stronger than ever as we are still exporting record amounts. But dollar per tonne is low is due to the market being flooded. With the approval Nd expansions of so many mines in the last decade, other companies growing and starting up, BHP can produce its product cheaper on larger scale and sustain losses for longer. It's all about getting a bigger share of the market and destroying opposition. Minning runs on 5 to 7 years cycles. To the BHP share will defiantly be back up there in a matter of time

most commodities run on short cycles but not iron ore

the time wave is much longer due to the infrastructure requirements

Fair to say I went too early... lost over 5% today and is now under $23.
Will we sub $20 ?

Looking at China, iron ore prices and a touch of gut feeling, id say yes.

Going to have a bounce when gets to sub $20 and will probably dip under again. Just my two bob that's probably completely off the mark

BHP on Tuesday posted a 51 per cent fall in underlying profit for the year to $US6.4 billion, excluding South32. It was a slight miss on analyst expectations. The result it less than the productivity gains and controllable cost efficiencies the miner has made in the past two years.

BHP's underlying payout ratio is 155 per cent (meaning it paid out 155 per cent of its profit), and its dividend yield is about 6.4 per cent, after taking into account franking tax credits. Rio's is not far behind at about 6 per cent. BHP has not cut its dividend since 1988, and did not rebase its dividend when it spun out South32 in May this year.
http://www.afr.com/business/mining/bhp-billitons-net-profit-crashes-to-worst-level-in-12-years-20150825-gj6ztv

I'm still keen to buy to hold long term, but not ready to pull the trigger yet. Markets still too volatile for my liking.

I bought BHP at $38 a share in Jan 2014 - drop of 40% since then! **** you so-called "blue chip safe investment"

That is rough and I'm sure a lot of investors would also be feeling your pain, at least you can take some comfort from the decent probability that when the commodity cycle swings up again, BHP should be there to benefit.

I'd argue the term "Blue Chip" should never be used in relation to an investment in a single company and should only be used when referring to investments in a collection of larger companies from different industries.

I would be thinking about getting back in now

FX working in BHPs favour along with falling wages and falling power costs

iron ore may drop into the $30s for a bit but $40s would be a safe bet for the long term

The price is at a 61% fibonacci retracement from the highs of April 2011, if it falls from here, it could hit $18, if support fails there then $14 is the next support level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back