Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desultory - Counting our Scars. Good listen. Anyone else pick this up back in 2009?

One of those albums I never got around to purchasing. First two are classics though - will look for it. Slayer in the car now, growing but Araya's vocals are no good and the lyrics absolutely terrible. Maiden tour announced for next May.

How does Book of Souls compare to A Matter of Life and Death? Personally I consider that to be the best of the post Blaze albums.

Its an interesting album with lots of twists an turns. I don't know what it is but I do keep coming back to it more so than any album since BNW. My verdict is "good but not great". Could do with a more meaty guitar sound and its 15 minutes too long.

BNW is surely the best in that category. I like it near as much as their first 7 or 8 albums.

I like it a lot but I think AMOLAD just edges it, some of the longer numbers like Longest Day and For the Great Good of God are truly epic numbers that never feel as long as they are, as well as the Bon Jovi esque Different World which puts a smile on my face.

Can't believe they don't play anything off it live, when I seen Maiden a few years ago they played like 4 songs from Dance of Death and Final Frontier (understandable as it was a FF tour) but none from that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening through the new Maiden for the first time. I thought something was playing up when "Shadows of the Valley" started, could have sworn it was "Wasted Years"!

If only....

Had Book of Souls for a few weeks now and there is something that keeps drawing me back to it more than I expected. Each time I listen there is a new little musical discovery tucked away somewhere. Feel like its one of those albums that will get better with the fullness of time - unlike some which open strong and then get forgotten down the track?

Maybe its the Shawshank Redemption of Maiden albums?

If only....

Had Book of Souls for a few weeks now and there is something that keeps drawing me back to it more than I expected. Each time I listen there is a new little musical discovery tucked away somewhere. Feel like its one of those albums that will get better with the fullness of time - unlike some which open strong and then get forgotten down the track?

It's good.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If only....

It certainly wasn't a hit when I listened through last night. I found TFF to be the same though and I ended up really enjoying that album.

Have been on a massive Opeth kick lately - what are some other bands in a similar vein? Must have a good vocalist... don't mind growling but not into screamo kinda stuff. Periphery for eg would be great if not for the vocalist.

Thanks.

Have been on a massive Opeth kick lately - what are some other bands in a similar vein? Must have a good vocalist... don't mind growling but not into screamo kinda stuff. Periphery for eg would be great if not for the vocalist.

Thanks.

Have you ever got into Enslaved? I've always thought of them as being to black metal what Opeth are to death metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back