Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something like that. When you can keep it up its no real problem, but lots of bands also change a lot over the time and like different stuff to be released under a different name. Of course it is generally a matter of artistic expression, so it of course depends on every single case.
I mean, as a case study, what difference would it have made if say, Metallica changed their name then released the black album? Same members and everything. Instead of talking about how Metallica were good before their softer albums, you'd just be talking about how Hetfield, Ulrich and Hammett were good before they started making hard rock albums.

If they were performing under a new moniker, are they still allowed to play their other band's songs live? If so, that again defeats the purpose of changing the name. If not, well, then you're being robbed of seeing the best work of the artists, instead getting the mediocre content you bemoan.

I know I've taken this incredibly seriously, lol, but it is a pointless suggestion. Take the good with the bad.

Same members + new album = same band. You can paint a cow black and call it a horse - but it's still a cow.

It's a noble yet unrealistic and naive proposition. If followed:

Megadeth splits after So Far ....So Good....So What only to release RUST, Countdown & Youthenasia under some other name?

Pantera calls it quits after the album that saved their careers "Cowboys" only to drop Vulgar Display under a new name?

Accept change their name prior to the Restless and Wild, Balls to the Wall and Metal Heart trilogy of awesomeness??

Mötley Crüe quit after Theatre of Pain and......oh hang on....bad example.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I guess Slumber did it - released a magical death doom album then changed their name to Atoma and released a completely different album with the same members. Made sense only because of the huge genre shift in sound but perhaps they are a one-off?

Last edited:

I mean, as a case study, what difference would it have made if say, Metallica changed their name then released the black album? Same members and everything. Instead of talking about how Metallica were good before their softer albums, you'd just be talking about how Hetfield, Ulrich and Hammett were good before they started making hard rock albums.
Well, yes. They'd still be thrash gods. It didn't change anything for the perception of Sarcofago or Beherit that their main personal became a doctor or got into techno dj after the bands split. Really dislike this dragging a big name with you when you want to do something else. Like selling pizza in your used cars business. But probably gets more and more common when bands get bigger. Probably would like newer Metallica stuff are the latest Emperor release much more when it would have been released under a different name.

If they were performing under a new moniker, are they still allowed to play their other band's songs live? If so, that again defeats the purpose of changing the name. If not, well, then you're being robbed of seeing the best work of the artists, instead getting the mediocre content you bemoan.
Yes, no old songs. But how many old songs do Metallica, Behemoth or Kataklysm play? While others like Slayer rob themselves of some artistic integrity as well by nearly only playing old stuff (even when I love it as a fan). And how good does it work when they do? Actually Enslaved used to be one of the few bands that do a very mix set pretty well...

Also got told release of new Queensryche has been pushed back 1 week worldwide because of distribution problems! Spewing coz it was supposed to land today for sale tomorrow @ JB.

What a great day for a grand final! Probably Heading in to the G around midday given the weather. Haven't gone past few years but will today.

Last night listened to Ulver - Bergtatt and I can't understand why I never got into this band given how much I loved Agalloch, Alcest et al.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Standing out like dog's balls here in a Lonsdale shirt. If you are a false, do not entry.

Respect!

I wore a green Mooks t-shirt to a concert a few years back (can't recall who..Testament? Exodus?...Death Angel??) coz I just couldn't be ****ed getting changed. Ya know? just thought I have been round long enough to really give a *. Been there..done that...don't need to prove my metal credentials to any 20 year old kid just getting into the game. Mind you I copped a fair amount of grief of my own mates for it...lol.

Other than awesome new Amorphis...been listening to Atten Ash "The Hourglass" and Helevorn "Forthcoming Displeasures" a bit. Both good death/doom a la Daylight Dies/Rapture etc.

Respect!

I wore a green Mooks t-shirt to a concert a few years back (can't recall who..Testament? Exodus?...Death Angel??) coz I just couldn't be stuffed getting changed. Ya know? just thought I have been round long enough to really give a ****. Been there..done that...don't need to prove my metal credentials to any 20 year old kid just getting into the game. Mind you I copped a fair amount of grief of my own mates for it...lol.

I used to always wear my denim jacket but every second person wants to stop and comment on a patch. Last night I originally got my old Urfaust shirt out but no amount of aftershave could cover the smell of moths so I just chucked on the first clean shirt in the draw lol. I probably used to take part in the t-shirt pissing contest but even at 30 it's old enough to be beyond that. Saw heaps of teenagers and early 20s in Bathory shirts last night and all I could think was "s**t, even I was late to the party on that one."

Last night was my first actual metal gig since Destroyer/Vomitor/Gravey at hifi how many years ago that was now and will likely be my last in a while. Same heads, same stink. Was really pumped to see Behemoth, truly one of my guilty pleasures (since you lose scene points for admitting you like them) and they didn't disappoint. Tight, energetic and brutal. Watain I thought were a let down. Seemed to try to hard to be ev1l666 and I thought their sound and set in general just sucked a big one. Bolzer, meh. Some cool riffs but pretty same old to me. I think they just get name dropped for the two piece novelty and people can cover the fact that they forked out for a Behemoth/Wu-tain ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back