Past Blaine Boekhorst

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton Blues midfield recruit Blaine Boekhorst’s WAFL coach insists he can play at AFL level

BLAINE Boekhorsts’s WAFL coach has urged Carlton to unleash the wingman at senior level, adamant the club’s top pick is not a draft bust.

The Blues pulled the surprise of last year’s draft taking the dashing ball-mover with pick No. 19, well ahead of where many recruiters rated the former volley baller.
Boekhorst was overlooked for AFL selection in the Blues’ first three losses but is in contention, along with ex-Dog Jason Tutt, to replace speedster Chris Yarran against St Kilda on Saturday.
Boekhorst had 25 possessions and kicked two behinds in the VFL last weekend, but was not named in Northern Bullants’ best players.

Three games into the season and draft busts are being spoken about already.............

“His footy intelligence is right at the top of the tree.”

I like this part though...

Looks like he won't be getting a game for at least the next couple of weeks based on MM's comments in today's presser.

Really? His endurance is still somewhat shallow and maybe we're expecting someone to go down ala Thomas again...

Would make for a good Sub but maybe we've earmarked Buckley for that. Maybe?

Really? His endurance is still somewhat shallow and maybe we're expecting someone to go down ala Thomas again...

Would make for a good Sub but maybe we've earmarked Buckley for that. Maybe?
MM said he wanted some more consistency in the VFL. Sub would be a good way to integrate him but you may be right with Buckley.

Boekhorst: Debut a relief

“There probably hasn’t been too may people that have debuted overseas, so it’s a privilege and could be a good trivia question,” he said.

When coach Mick Malthouse told Boekhorst he was in the team, the debutant was determined to grab the opportunity with both hands.

“It’s a massive build-up all pre-season to try and break into the side and once you get that opportunity you’ve got to make the most of it, so I’m pretty relieved to get that one out the way,” he said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm amazed by how well Boekhorst's been playing in the last few games! I reckon he's earn this stay at Carlton and he'll go on to produce much more for the blues. I reckon he'll go on to become a star player in the future!

He has every chance to become a very good player for us, as from what I've seen, the Pro's far outweigh the Cons.

You look for as many key attributes to a player as possible but the one I always like being mentioned is the 'High Football IQ"

He's a W.A. boy and maybe he can double up with Cripps' trainer in the off-season......it will be cheaper that way :)

Continuing to get better. I have always hated this "mature age" player saying, he is only 21 and doing better than some 18-19 year olds that were drafted

2 years isn't much difference at all

He has every chance to become a very good player for us, as from what I've seen, the Pro's far outweigh the Cons.

You look for as many key attributes to a player as possible but the one I always like being mentioned is the 'High Football IQ"

He's a W.A. boy and maybe he can double up with Cripps' trainer in the off-season......it will be cheaper that way :)
Fitness and size are holding him back right now. A good preseason will do wonders, the same can be said for half of the list really (Rainbow, Holman, Jaksch etc)

Continuing to get better. I have always hated this "mature age" player saying, he is only 21 and doing better than some 18-19 year olds that were drafted

2 years isn't much difference at all
Not all mature age players is spuds

Boeky is starting to show the stuff that we recruited him for. His inside 50's against melbourne were superb. Put it to cripps advantage in the goal square and chipped another kick to advantage perfectly too.

hopefully he can start finding it a bit more and he will be a gun

Boeky is starting to show the stuff that we recruited him for. His inside 50's against melbourne were superb. Put it to cripps advantage in the goal square and chipped another kick to advantage perfectly too.

Hopefully he can start finding it a bit more and he will be a gun

People look at players at having the same window of playing time through their careers.
Boekhorst is closer to a Simpson than he is to a player that's on the slide after hitting 30
He may even still be playing after Laverde has hung his boots up.

I don't care for him getting bigger, but he will need to get fitter. He'll be a good player for us. He's a clever player.

Keeps on improving each game and gaining confidence with it. Hoping he runs out the year in a strong manner and gets through preseason without any niggles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back