Bluemour Discussion Thread VI (cont. in Part VII)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, so is Ah Chee.

Can see a WA-born player leaving SA for VIC if opportunity/success is on the table (no reason for SPP to move, Ah Chee a possibility but he'd be my last preference on that list).

Can't see an SA-born player leaving SA though, especially while both teams are up and about.
Apparently Ah Chee is keen on joining the Suns to play with his brother.

Kelly is official, dream over

You think we had the dream. Go to the North board.
Not sure how they were so confident of not just getting Kelly, but just as sure they'd see Martin.

No harm done with not getting Kelly now. In two years time will be better anyway. :)

One thing is fo sho is their salary cap constrainst will be interesting ... they were bloody big numbers other clubs were pushing about ...........
Doesn't mean that's what they gave him. Kelly could be staying on the cheap to win a flag knowing he'll cash in in a big was 2 yrs from now. He'll probably get a bigger contract offer in 2 yrs than he would be offered now, I'm sure the cap will continue to rise.

Not sure how they were so confident of not just getting Kelly, but just as sure they'd see Martin.

No harm done with not getting Kelly now. In two years time will be better anyway. :)

yeah, one of their mods said it was a huge slap in the face to St Kilda and the blues lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't mean that's what they gave him. Kelly could be staying on the cheap to win a flag knowing he'll cash in in a big was 2 yrs from now. He'll probably get a bigger contract offer in 2 yrs than he would be offered now, I'm sure the cap will continue to rise.

Then I'm with AZUL ... I was never fond of this chase in the first place. Sure I would not knock back a player of his ability, however, this wqas the perfect time to make a statement, to stand for something as a player .......

5 years @ GWS would have told me he is a committed individual, loyal to his paycheck and colors.....

2 Years tells me .... SEAGULL.

But hey he is young and I would probably have done the same (If I had the AFL talent he does). Just reeks of highest bidder type stuff, and that is not what I want from my football club.

Must have been kidding surely.
The guys there have dedicated threads that have topped 10K in posts for Kelly & Martin.
They were going to be the saviours.

It's amusing some NM posts complain about GWS paying Kelly more money, when the whole NM strategy was based on buying Kelly's signature.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing is fo sho is their salary cap constraints will be interesting ... they were bloody big numbers other clubs were pushing about ...........

I think this is how the check of their salary cap will go:

Gil McLachlan: Hi Tony, this is Gil, just ringing to check if the GWS are under the salary cap after signing up all your players.

Tony Shepherd (GWS Chairman): Yes we are Gil.

Gil McLachlan: Thanks Tony, I'll send Ken Wood for his Long Service Leave to the South of France then. Sorry to trouble you and good luck for the rest of the finals series (hangs up - and makes another call).

Gil McLachlan: Hi Peter, Gil here, about the umpires for this weeks preliminary finals ........

Then I'm with AZUL ... I was never fond of this chase in the first place. Sure I would not knock back a player of his ability, however, this wqas the perfect time to make a statement, to stand for something as a player .......

5 years @ GWS would have told me he is a committed individual, loyal to his paycheck and colors.....

2 Years tells me .... SEAGULL.

But hey he is young and I would probably have done the same (If I had the AFL talent he does). Just reeks of highest bidder type stuff, and that is not what I want from my football club.
I don't agree with this assessment.

He obviously wants to win a flag with the team he's at now.

So many people have mentioned that we would be better off getting Kelly in two years' time....

In 2 years he'll still be 2 years away from being a free agent*

And he'll still be young enough and good enough that the asking price (trade wise) will be little changed from this year. All we would have done is missed out on two years of his services, in a time when we desperately need some midfield support^. Especially if Gibbs leaves.

I'm not upset we missed out on him, you can't get every target. I just don't understand this 'better to get him in two years' argument.

*unless they change the rules as per AFLPA's wishes
^ the only other argument I can see is 'Let's not get FAs yet because it will only push us up the ladder. Let's bank better picks and THEN get the FAs at the end'. I see the logic in that one, but the club does't look keen to rebuild by deliberately spending half a decade at the bottom of the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back