Bluemour Discussion Thread XIII - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep saying it, what frustrates me the most about the McGovern trade is that we paid overs for him (a forward we don’t really need) when we were determined that we wouldn’t pay overs for Shiel (a mature midfielder who we acknowledged we need this trade period)

How does that freaking make sense?

We needed to give up Pick 1 to get Shiel, we didn't need to give it up to get McGovern? We still draft Walsh in, makes perfect sense.

Oh yes he's a gun its pick 1 must not trade once in a generation player .
Reassured ?
Thanks, but not really. I’d personally take Lukosius and play him on a wing. Just imagine that delivery into our remodelled fwd line.

There would also be the added benefit of sticking it up Adelaide. If he ever leaves the price will be 3 first rounders. Just saying.

Honestly after some reflection I'm glad we didn't give up a tonne of money and our 2019 and our first rounder for Shiel, at 26 he's 2-3 years old for us, where we are at currently. If we are to bring in elite talent via free agency, whatever that means these days. Then 23-24 this year and next year is our age range. I'd be super stoked if we end this trade week with Mclovin, Setters, Walsh. Pick another potential future gun with our inevitable early draft pick next year and in 3-4 years we'll be hopefully be in top 8 contention.

No bad blood from me for Shiel's decision, He made probably the best choice for GWS, the choice that was most likely to get done, didn't go for the bags o' cash, which seems to be backfiring on teams ala norf anyway. How SOS was planning to get Mclovin, Shiel and setters and hang on to P1 is still beyond me.

Trust the process boys, back our staff, coaches, co-captains. If we can keep all our boys on the park this year with the help of Russell, it'll be an exciting year!

If top 20 players at clubs are automatically better than top 10 picks (or equivalent), then list management and talent ID is cooked.

We've been fleeced in this deal, and Bolton will have to wear this if the flow-on effect doesn't result in results and signings down the line.

I'm not seeing this, Jim.

On points, sure, 26 and 28 is worth Pick 10.

But realistically, North weren't trading down, Port Adelaide aren't trading down, GWS aren't trading down, Geelong aren't trading down, and Adelaide aren't trading down.

So Picks 26 and 28 (+43 based on what Sydney got) equates to Pick 13 in this draft.

What combination of players with Picks 26, 28 and 43, or which player with Pick 13, adds more than Mitch McGovern?

We've paid slight overs, in my book, because he had 2 years to run on his contract. But he's a very talented, athletically gifted player who can be a threat up forward, and do a solid defensive job down back, and he's ready to impact from Day 1 for the next 8 years. He improves us immediately, which we need, and he's young enough to be playing a key role when we're contending, which we need.

I'd suggest keeping the picks and failing to bring in anyone in the 23-26yo range would have been far more damaging to the club than overpaying slightly for Gov.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whisperer saying we're into Newman and Finlayson...

Why did I look..... Damnit!

Please come back EP!

I really rate Finlayson as a KPP and the mail from Shiels family was he is very underrated just couldn’t crack the rotation - maybe 2019 1st for Setterfield/Finlayson and a 2018 2nd. Newman would help cover Casey Byrne, who I fear is done with AFL, I suppose, but I’m not totally feeling that one. We have plenty back I am already keen on. Ahh - one more wont hurt.

As for Jack Martin - Rate him very highly, but, GCS rejected * bid of 8 if I remember correctly. Reckon the trade would have to include #1 and with that they would take Walsh so you’d have to figure who you’d want instead. Love the idea of the GCS - SA team trades. We could get involved and I’d do something like #1 to GCS for Martin and two late Top 10 picks. There I’d select Jack Bytel and Jye Caldwell. Two Victorian inside mids that are being seriously underrated after the big boys.

...and that GWS 2nd rounder from earlier - Eddie Betts. Imagine him underneath our bigs and alongside these kids as they continue to develop. Read recently he’d be happy to come home, so would his bride.

But realistically, North weren't trading down, Port Adelaide aren't trading down, GWS aren't trading down, Geelong aren't trading down, and Adelaide aren't trading down.

So Picks 26 and 28 (+43 based on what Sydney got) equates to Pick 13 in this draft.

What combination of players with Picks 26, 28 and 43, or which player with Pick 13, adds more than Mitch McGovern?

We've paid slight overs, in my book, because he had 2 years to run on his contract. But he's a very talented, athletically gifted player who can be a threat up forward, and do a solid defensive job down back, and he's ready to impact from Day 1 for the next 8 years. He improves us immediately, which we need, and he's young enough to be playing a key role when we're contending, which we need.

I'd suggest keeping the picks and failing to bring in anyone in the 23-26yo range would have been far more damaging to the club than overpaying slightly for Gov.

Spot on, we really have no choice but to chase ready talent, Mitch will be an excellent acquisition.

Have we worked out how we get Setterfield now? Pick 43 isn't going to be enough, surely?

Depends on academy and father-son considerations. Might be able to trade our two future thirds to GC for an early-ish second if they want to stockpile some points for next year. Port have picks 23 and 30, and have a few father/sons next year, so we might be able to work something out there.

Ideally, we'd want to turn two third rounders (we have one this year and two next year) into a second rounder, and use that. Allows us to keep Pick 1 this year, as well as our first two picks next year.

Haha Barlow was a A-grade mid when he was at his best, graham is a useful as an a-hole on your elbow and that’s being generous. You’re strait up dangus if you don’t think he will help, he has a bigger body than all the youngins, him Cripps and Kennedy dishing out to them wile they develop for another year.
Any insight to becoming better is good and makes sense but wait graham is a gun

I reckon having an a-hole on my elbow would be pretty cool!

Cool, thanks for posting. :thumbsu:

So the deal smacks of desperation? Then you agree with my original point.

I've previously nominated numerous ways in which we could have navigated this if we weren't wedded to the idea of MM, but BB wanted him badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back