Bluemour Melting Pot XXX - Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

A little harsh on Setters I think.

Had a shocking year but played some very decent football last year out on a wing, which probably isn't his natural position.

Very reluctant to write him off or move him on at the end of this year, because I don't believe what we saw from him is what he can provide. I'm backing him to turn it around in 2022.
It's definitely harsh but I just see a player who struggles to compete and adapt to dynamic in-game situations. Compare Setterfield to players like Stocker and Silvagni, these guys just seem to find a way to halve a contest or help out the team no matter what. Setters, Fisher and SPS for example, not so much.

He's contracted so I guess he's got one more year to take his career by the scruff of the neck, hoping he can do it.

Had a shocking year but played some very decent football last year out on a wing, which probably isn't his natural position.

Very reluctant to write him off or move him on at the end of this year, because I don't believe what we saw from him is what he can provide. I'm backing him to turn it around in 2022.
Setters is very average. He has all the traits to be very good, but he chooses to be very average. Given the amount of chances he has had, I'd rather see the back of him and give his spot to somebody who wants to play.

Let's say Lyon becomes the coach, I think it is difficult to categorically put a line through some players, as many would have new roles within the team

Absolutely.

I won't say Ross has had his favourites in the past but there have been a few players that do the job for him that he values.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's definitely harsh but I just see a player who struggles to compete and adapt to dynamic in-game situations. Compare Setterfield to players like Stocker and Silvagni, these guys just seem to find a way to halve a contest or help out the team no matter what. Setters, Fisher and SPS for example, not so much.

He's contracted so I guess he's got one more year to take his career by the scruff of the neck, hoping he can do it.

THats what you hope a change of coach does, someone who can get the best out of them. Setters was showing great signs of being a good player in 2019 and good tackler and not soft, since then has gone backwards. He's the type of player we need to take the next step for us to start going anywhere (along with quite a few others, like the ones you mentioned)

Stocker is a back pocket in the AFL for now.

He's proven there.

He should not be moved from there for at least a few seasons yet.

See Rory Laird or Callum Mills for the model on how to do it right.
See Dustin Martin, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack McRae, Luke Shuey, Patrick Cripps and 50 other midfielders for why you dont take midfielders and play them back pocket for numerous seasons. Stocker is playing well. When his physical capabilities allow it, give him midfield minutes. If he doesn't flourish, push him back and try again the following season. It's about progression and development. Not letting player stagnate.

Did Barrass blow his load early the other day?
FC was pretty tame.
Lloyd and Liddle still at the club.
Very good question.
I got so excited to see the back of them and I was flat as a tack the next day when found out what was indicated that night, not the reality the next day.
Not fully recovered yet from the massive let down.
Hopefully in a couple of months Sayers does more...if he survives an EGM..

Let's say Lyon becomes the coach, I think it is difficult to categorically put a line through some players, as many would have new roles within the team

Then delisting immediately become a lot harder And then there’s trades. I just read Setterfields draft bio and I can’t believe the position he is in, going off, what is written about him.

In saying that, we still need to free up list spots, two off the main list and one rookie have retired, still another 3-5 will need to go.

It's all upstairs - so I'm not going to completely write him off yet. To my eye he lacks any genuine care for the contest. If the ball comes his way, awesome, if it goes to his opponent, meh. Doesn't fight for it at all. Good size, good skills, but lacks a competitive streak.

How long have we had McGlutton now? Surely he's nearly completed his 5 year contract?
I actually don't think we should trade him, I think we should offer him a 2 year, greatly reduced contract and tell him he owes us.
McNuggets or Injuries aside, he is still the best set shot in our side.

Two years to goon his current deal.

Setters is very average. He has all the traits to be very good, but he chooses to be very average. Given the amount of chances he has had, I'd rather see the back of him and give his spot to somebody who wants to play.
I remember one of those pre season videos a year or two ago Setterfield was asked something like ‘what’s the best backhanded compliment you’ve received’ and his response was ‘Andrew Russell said I was finally starting to look like a professional athlete’. Has always stuck with me when looking at his physique and laconic movement.
I think he has all the tools but worried he’ll never realise them.

Then delisting immediately become a lot harder And then there’s trades. I just read Setterfields draft bio and I can’t believe the position he is in, going off, what is written about him.

In saying that, we still need to free up list spots, two off the main list and one rookie have retired, still another 3-5 will need to go.

Setterfield is an inside midfielder. Was known for his elite tackling and hands in close as a junior. He could also hit the score board. He looked completely disinterested this year. Lyon on Footy Classified mentioned he should be playing inside during the year. He's not someone we do away with just yet.

Happy for Liddle to stay on, provided he no longers get involved in football department or recruiting decisions.

Would like to think that the club understands and appreciates his business acumen. Sometimes ya gotta take the rough with the smooth

Last edited:
Setterfield is an inside midfielder. Was known for his elite tackling and hands in close as a junior. He could also hit the score board. He looked completely disinterested this year. Lyon on Footy Classified mentioned he should be playing inside during the year. He's not someone we do away with just yet.
This is a bit of an "it's the vibe" comment but I feel like a lot of Setterfield's tackles are straightforward, multiple ball-up "wrap him up in close" type situations, where the guy picks up the ball directly next to him and is pretty much snaffled before he's had a chance to move. I don't think Setterfield tackles hard or aggressively, or effectively when the ball-carrier has any kind of momentum (Ed Curnow for example is amazing at stopping a guy in his tracks even if they have huge momentum up, he just finds a way to latch on for dear life and make it stick).

But yes, it's inside or bust for Setterfield. That's why I would much rather have Silvagni and Kennedy going through there instead of Setterfield, as they both have the versatility to trouble the opposition in the forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back