Bluemour Melting Pot XXXII - Reaching fever pitch! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The volume of picks taken both via trade and the top end of the draft - and the fact that talls drafted in the same range have developed at or better than their expected trajectory - suggests that the issue is development rather than the picks themselves.
Why?

Talls are slower to develop and yet we have good ones. How about the talls were good picks and the mids weren't? As a collective they lack that competitive drive. Why has Stocker improved? Why did Kennedy show dramatic improvement in the back half of the year? Drive, desire, intent - call it what you like. They have it and no development can teach it to someone who doesn't possess it within them.

Why?

Talls are slower to develop and yet we have good ones. How about the talls were good picks and the mids weren't? As a collective they lack that competitive drive. Why has Stocker improved? Why did Kennedy show dramatic improvement in the back half of the year? Drive, desire, intent - call it what you like. They have it and no development can teach it to someone who doesn't possess it within them.

It's a statistical argument - it's not that picks are good or bad, it's that we've been a s**t club.

A group of highly rated players from both the draft and other clubs all stagnating in much the same way at the Blues, suggests that our player development/management is the problem. None of these guys bar perhaps O'Brien had intensity as a weakness on their scouting reports.

Further to that, we hire a gun development coach and establish a standalone VFL side and those same guys start to show progress - surprise surprise.

What’s the thoughts on him as a coach? I just read an article from earlier in the season and this is one paragraph from it:

"Hamill is very well-liked at St Kilda. He’s best known by the players for his old school approach that centres around effort and passion"

This appears to be a big focus for us, especially for Diesel. Hope we get a couple really quality tactical thinkers in as well…
I think voss is strong tactically

It's a statistical argument - it's not that picks are good or bad, it's that we've been a sh*t club.

A group of highly rated players from both the draft and other clubs all stagnating in much the same way at the Blues, suggests that our player development/management is the problem. None of these guys bar perhaps O'Brien had intensity as a weakness on their scouting reports.

Further to that, we hire a gun development coach and establish a standalone VFL side and those same guys start to show progress - surprise surprise.

Most people on here prefer to blame the development as it is an easier fix.

How do you explain the talls developing so well? Do tall players listen to the coaches and the rest don't? Walsh, Stocker, Kennedy and JSOS just emphasise how much of it is between the ears.

None of us want to see those 5 players fail, but much of their future lies with them, not the coaches.

of course it's "binary" (weird choice of word) just not copping this idea he was f’ed over by teague.....
Of course he was ****ed over by the clubs lack of development, homesickness through covid and 0 communication by the HC, but of course he should have shown more and worked through it regardless. Both can be true.

What’s the thoughts on him as a coach? I just read an article from earlier in the season and this is one paragraph from it:

"Hamill is very well-liked at St Kilda. He’s best known by the players for his old school approach that centres around effort and passion"

This appears to be a big focus for us, especially for Diesel. Hope we get a couple really quality tactical thinkers in as well…
Isn't he just the Saints' version of Barker?

Drive, desire, intent - call it what you like. They have it and no development can teach it to someone who doesn't possess it within them.

I can't disagree with you more.

Drive, Desire, Intent you may not be able to teach in the "traditional" way of showing someone how to do it and telling them to practice it. but you definitely can create the conditions that encourage Drive & Desire. The best managers are the ones who learn how to encourage that. and it's not the same for every person, but good people managers will work that out and adapt.

That can be one of the reasons you see one person gets dropped to the 2's after 2 bad games vs another player who sits in the 1's for 4-5 weeks to turn around their form. A good manager will know which players need the kick up the ass vs being nurtured.

Most people on here prefer to blame the development as it is an easier fix.

How do you explain the talls developing so well? Do tall players listen to the coaches and the rest don't? Walsh, Stocker, Kennedy and JSOS just emphasise how much of it is between the ears.

None of us want to see those 5 players fail, but much of their future lies with them, not the coaches.

Because our midfield coaches have been the absolute dregs, and the talls (bar Weitering) haven't been dicked around and played on the periphery or out of their best positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see what you did there 😆

View attachment 1249496

Stocker into the midfield seems likely in the future, provided that he can get his tank up to an AFL standard.

At times last season he, and Zilliams, looked completely gassed after a half of footy. That’s not good enough. They’re not fit enough.

Limited minutes next season in fits and bursts, sure, he has mongrel and is not backward in coming forward, an extrovert in a group largely labelled as introverted, and I want to see the lad succeed.

And people comparing Cerra to Petracca, that’s like comparing an apple to a souvlaki, completely different players. Cerra is more in the Walsh category, Petracca is in the Dusty category, let’s not pigeon-hole him.

He’s nominated us. He wants us. And we’ll get him. I don’t care who he’s “like”, I care about his potential to become great.
From now on, I'm referring to him as Zilliams.

Not footy related, but I'm not on Facebook so you get my most inane anecdotes....

My family had tacos for dinner last night... Taco Tuesday.

We had leftovers tonight so I loudly declared to the family 'It's Waco Wednesday'.

Miss9yo looks me straight in the eye and asks with a wink 'what would you call it on Friday?'

It was so hard to keep a straight face...
My Miss9 randomly asked why we don't see one of her childhood friends anymore from about 4 years ago.
(We had a falling out with the mother who went a little bit weird)
We replied with 'unfortunately his mum went a bit weird'.
She replied with 'but we're weird' (we regularly call ourselves a weird family for giggles).
I said that she was another level, and quick as a flash in an innocent and almost serious manner, she said 'I can go higher'.

I was very proud.

Maybe those saying pick 6 is too high for cerra are the same people who said we shouldn’t have drafted Walsh at pick 1 cos he was too vanillla

A 21 year old who has already had 4 years of development and shown lots of signs of elite ability and getting better every year. It’s a no brainer!

even more importantly, 4 years development at a club not called Carlton, that can only be a bonus surely?

6 is too much lol

Do you remember who we picked in the draft the last time we had pick 6?

Browndog,
I’m gonna add my 2 cents worth to this argument….and it’s not to discredit or offend anybody..

Cerra is easily worth pick 6 any day of the week, month or year but…..

He is uncontracted and wants to head home…for this reason I can understand why many supporters feel pick 6 is too much.

Freo’s next best option is a long way from pick 6. Personally I’d be trying to pick him up with our future first plus a sweetener and stay in this years draft.

Anyway, only my opinion but I’m no list manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back