Bluemour Melting Pot XXXII - Reaching fever pitch! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not footy related, but I'm not on Facebook so you get my most inane anecdotes....

My family had tacos for dinner last night... Taco Tuesday.

We had leftovers tonight so I loudly declared to the family 'It's Waco Wednesday'.

Miss9yo looks me straight in the eye and asks with a wink 'what would you call it on Friday?'

It was so hard to keep a straight face...

Pick number isn’t really relevant because the two players that push 6-8 aren’t in the available draft pool. Still the sixth best player available gonna be selected with it.

Having said that, he’s gonna be better over the next few years than whoever we would’ve grabbed with 6.
The two lads who are going father and son are in the top 10 best players if they weren’t as good as they’re they would be selected later in the draft to most likely the club there fathers played at but way down. So essentially our pick 6 would be pick 8 and the 8th best selection in the draft due to Daicos and Darcy being highly ranked juniors

This guy has the right idea
So what? Even I think Pick 6 by itself is fair.
But just to refresh your very short memory;

6 is already too much.
I think we should trade Austin instead, or whoever the hell is agreeing to these ridiculous trades.

Time will tell but I'm not interested in waiting for our list manager to learn how to negotiate.
Very poor by our LM team.

Yet negotiation on Cerra hasn't even begun and you are throwing your toys out of your cot over how poor our LM is.

Not footy related, but I'm not on Facebook so you get my most inane anecdotes....

We had leftovers tonight so I loudly declared to the family 'It's Waco Wednesday'.

Miss9yo looks me straight in the eye and asks with a wink 'what would you call it on Friday?'

excellent. Clever girl.

For a good up and coming player that hasn't yet lit the world on fire? 2 decent second rounders or 6 from us with a second coming back (even a late one).
As an example, say Stocker plays every game next year whether as a mid or a back, and does pretty well without being awesome, and he was out of contract and requested a trade somewhere, that's what I would expect.

6 on its own would be pushing it but if that's the player we are after then we go and get him for 6, but 6 plus what? A second or third? A player as well? Even with change? No. It's too much and if push came to shove I would rather harm both my club's reputation as well as my supposed trading partner.

Most people would agree it's too much and will see it that way, and I can live with a journo or two printing rubbish. They're gonna do it anyway so fu** 'em. I'll do what I think is right and live with it.
It would be amazing if we could complete a trade on your preferred terms. Unfortunately I think it is highly unlikely. So far, Cerra has finished third in their B&F last year and made the under 22 team of the year in the last two years.

I really like Stocker and think he will become a very good player but he would need to finish top 3 in our B&F this year (or close to) to even get close to Cerra's position now. He also does not have the high consistency of Cerra across multiple seasons. Hopefully Stock gets there in a couple of seasons, and then the comparison might fit better. At that point we would all be demanding at least pick 6, most likely more. Or would you be ok with two second rounders? No way I would be comfortable with that

How about a packet of chips?

Seriously though, I'm willing to give Austin the opportunity to do his job well, but if we get bent over again like last year then we aren't serious about our future with this guy making list decisions.
Whether he chose well or not, at least SOS understood how to organise the list and deal with other list managers effectively.
I fear keeping Austin will be like death from a thousand cuts and frittering our future away.

Time will tell.
What was it about last year that has you thinking Austin is no good, then say that SOS knew how to deal with other list managers effectively?

images.jpeg-24.jpg

She sounds funny.

Can we swap the two of you?

seriously, people making out like sps is this poor little babe in the woods - he's a grown man who can make his own decisions - including how he wants to play and who the fu** with - keep kicking teague in the head if it helps you sleep at night.........

why does it have to be binary? Did Teague and the former regime have a negative impact on SPS’ development? It’s entirely possible. Would Teague and that regime say SPS was limiting himself with his preparation and commitment to building a tank and mindset to be a consistent midfield force? I’m pretty sure they would.

if there’s a chance SPS can reach his potential, of course we’d want it to be at Carlton. What’s the likelihood of that taking place, with a new regime that has clearly laid out an expectation of greater commitment to excellence from the playing group? For 29 or 35 I’d be ok to wish him
Well at the Eagles.

Things are heating up on the Freo board with this Eagles fan offering some wisdom. Looks like we’re set up for an exciting trade period.

Hi, you seem to be a fatherless queer ( not really surprising).

I hope your fat ugly campaigner of a mother gets spit roasted by a pack of Samoan bouncers you dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walsh, Cripps, Kennedy, Cerra, Hewett.....SPS likely out.

Room for only really 1 of Dow, Setters and LOB I assume?
Spot on, but even then 5 main on-ballers is usually the most a team plays.

Using the 5 (you would think midfield locks) you mentioned, we would have Cripps and Kennedy as the big bodies on the inside, with Hewett, Cerra and Walsh providing some run on the outside. Then you would have your standard midfield rotations with a forward such as Cuningham/Fisher/Martin, and even Stocker from the backline.

That's a perfect balance of size and speed in my opinion.

However things start getting more challenging once you want to play a 6th on-baller (such as Dow). It is do-able, but it means that the likes of Walsh, Cerra, Hewett and Dow are spending about 50% of their game time EACH on a wing/flank to fit in all the others.

If you're interested in the maths...

3 (standard number of on-ballers at one time) x 100% (game time) = 300%

Assuming the average player has about 80% TOG, this is my personal split:

Cripps - 80 x 75% (time spent in midfield) = 60%

Kennedy - 80 x 75% = 60%

Hewett - 80 x 60% = 50%

Dow - 80 x 50% = 40%

Cerra - 80 x 40% = 30%

Walsh - 80 x 40% = 30%

Stocker - 80 x 20% = 15%

Forward - 80 x 20% = 15%

60 + 60 + 50 + 40 + 30 + 30 + 15 + 15 = 300%

It's not ideal, which is why I think Dow will have a hard time cracking into a side after the additions of Cerra/Hewett.

Last edited:
6 is already too much.
I think we should trade Austin instead, or whoever the hell is agreeing to these ridiculous trades.
Time will tell but I'm not interested in waiting for our list manager to learn how to negotiate.
Very poor by our LM team.

6 is too much lol

Do you remember who we picked in the draft the last time we had pick 6?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The two lads who are going father and son are in the top 10 best players if they weren’t as good as they’re they would be selected later in the draft to most likely the club there fathers played at but way down. So essentially our pick 6 would be pick 8 and the 8th best selection in the draft due to Daicos and Darcy being highly ranked juniors

I've seen Sam Darcy play a fair bit of junior footy...and have to say I don't really get the hype. Decent player but if he's in the top couple of junior players in the country, then my judgement must be way off.

I just think that the likes of Dow, SPS, LOB and Fisher etc are just not that good at all. I think SOS missed badly with these picks.

You won't win popularity contests saying that, but if they were all good picks then why are we chasing 2 mids in Cerra and Hewett? We shouldn't need to be bringing in these types given what we have already drafted.

Throw in Setterfield as well (traded in, not drafted) and you have the reason for the stalled rebuild. All of them have elite attributes, but when it comes to halving contests outside their area of strength, they don't measure up (by contests, I don't just mean winning a disputed ball, but all the running, marking, tackling, pressuring etc.). That is why we don't tend to play many of them at the same time any more (even with 15 injuries) - you can't have a collective group who are virtually guaranteed to not at least go 50/50 in contests. Stocker can come in and may be exposed in certain areas, but will absolutely be relied upon to compete and win his share (or more) of the contests he is in.

The fact that we are so happy to get Hewett really says a lot about the above guys. Dow is different to the others as he has shown he can win contests when he is actually in them - he just needs to get to more and stay involved when he doesn't have the ball. He also has the speed the others lack.

We could field a very good round one side in 2022 without any of those 5. It will be interesting to see what Voss and the new regime do with them.

why does it have to be binary? Did Teague and the former regime have a negative impact on SPS’ development? It’s entirely possible. Would Teague and that regime say SPS was limiting himself with his preparation and commitment to building a tank and mindset to be a consistent midfield force? I’m pretty sure they would.

if there’s a chance SPS can reach his potential, of course we’d want it to be at Carlton. What’s the likelihood of that taking place, with a new regime that has clearly laid out an expectation of greater commitment to excellence from the playing group? For 29 or 35 I’d be ok to wish him
Well at the Eagles.
of course it's "binary" (weird choice of word) just not copping this idea he was ****ed over by teague.....

You won't win popularity contests saying that, but if they were all good picks then why are we chasing 2 mids in Cerra and Hewett? We shouldn't need to be bringing in these types given what we have already drafted.

Throw in Setterfield as well (traded in, not drafted) and you have the reason for the stalled rebuild. All of them have elite attributes, but when it comes to halving contests outside their area of strength, they don't measure up (by contests, I don't just mean winning a disputed ball, but all the running, marking, tackling, pressuring etc.). That is why we don't tend to play many of them at the same time any more (even with 15 injuries) - you can't have a collective group who are virtually guaranteed to not at least go 50/50 in contests. Stocker can come in and may be exposed in certain areas, but will absolutely be relied upon to compete and win his share (or more) of the contests he is in.

The fact that we are so happy to get Hewett really says a lot about the above guys. Dow is different to the others as he has shown he can win contests when he is actually in them - he just needs to get to more and stay involved when he doesn't have the ball. He also has the speed the others lack.

We could field a very good round one side in 2022 without any of those 5. It will be interesting to see what Voss and the new regime do with them.

The volume of picks taken both via trade and the top end of the draft - and the fact that talls drafted in the same range have developed at or better than their expected trajectory - suggests that the issue is development rather than the picks themselves.

Cerra is Cerra, but pick 6 could be anything.. it could even be a Cerra! You know how much we need one of those!

Pick 6 it is.
I see what you did there 😆

A75D18E8-81EA-4086-9BC0-0CFF69C87E84.gif
He is my wildcard for next year - Voss will love him, has done his apprenticeship down back, and surely gets released into the midfield group.
Stocker into the midfield seems likely in the future, provided that he can get his tank up to an AFL standard.

At times last season he, and Zilliams, looked completely gassed after a half of footy. That’s not good enough. They’re not fit enough.

Limited minutes next season in fits and bursts, sure, he has mongrel and is not backward in coming forward, an extrovert in a group largely labelled as introverted, and I want to see the lad succeed.

And people comparing Cerra to Petracca, that’s like comparing an apple to a souvlaki, completely different players. Cerra is more in the Walsh category, Petracca is in the Dusty category, let’s not pigeon-hole him.

He’s nominated us. He wants us. And we’ll get him. I don’t care who he’s “like”, I care about his potential to become great.

peak dad joke 😂

Its never that simple. Lists are a constant evolving thing. Even if a team wins the flag turnover happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back