Bomber...

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Bombers availability could hinge on the ASADA vs Essendon court case

If ASADA win and issue notices it may make Hird's role at Essendon untenable
Given the deal Cronulla got, and given Hird is contracted for next year, I don't see that as a roadblock. Hird will, in my opinion, coach Essendon next year.

On that basis, I don't think Bomber will be there. There doesn't seem to be a lot of love between the two of them anymore. So the only impediment in getting Bomber here is moving him out of Victoria. From what I've heard, that's not going to be an insurmountable hurdle.

Sanderson used todays presser to soften us for a mediocre signing. Won't be Thompson, might be Goodwin after all.

Thompson will not come here. He left Geelong because he didnt want to be a head coach anymore. He is getting paid more than Sando at Essendon to be an assistant coach. He is indepentley wealthy due to property developments. Seriously he is no chance.

Thompson will not come here. He left Geelong because he didnt want to be a head coach anymore. He is getting paid more than Sando at Essendon to be an assistant coach. He is indepentley wealthy due to property developments. Seriously he is no chance.

And has a couple of Cafe in Melb

I don't think he will either, but your reasons are not proof.

Like others have said, no chance of getting him out of VIC

The big question to be asked is if the senior assistant still harbors a desire to be a senior coach. Which no doubt the likes of Goodwin, Dew, Bassett do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are just about the only team who doesn't have someone.

That's a myth

Most teams have a Senior Assistant coach however only a handful of teams have a "Coaching Director" type of role, Essendon, Collingwood and Port come to mind

So the question is what is our preferred coaching model and what role are we trying to fill or will the model be determined by who is available in the market

For what it's worth and said this himself most of the coaching models that have a Coaching Director role are in place for Rookie coaches however given Sando has now spent 3 years in the box if he is indeed worth his salt we should not need a Ciaching Director type of model and it should be more about providing him with a strong Senior Assistant and group of Assistants

If he needs anything more than IMO this is a poor reflection on Sando

Last edited:
That's a myth

Only a handful of teams have one
That would depend on what you are actually referring to.

I wouldn't have thought Sanderson saying he needs an experienced senior assistant was that alarming, yet as usual people deliberately take the comments out of context to come up with a completely different story.

That would depend on what you are actually referring to.

I wouldn't have thought Sanderson saying he needs an experienced senior assistant was that alarming, yet as usual people deliberately take the comments out of context to come up with a completely different story.

Read my above post

That's a myth

Only a handful of teams have one

I don't care about titles, many clubs have a very experienced person in the box with the coach.

On the other hand we seem to have a group of assistants with quite a narrow range of experience.

Clarkson has Ratten. Sydney has Blakey who was assistant under Matthews at Bris then Sydney. Etc etc...

The club decided we needed to change from Craig, but we still have assistants who sat under him, correct me if I'm wrong, but have had little else... ok so Campo was at Essendon for a couple years.. Clarke is 'midfield development coach' - with us his entire career as had Bickley. As a whole this is a recipe for disaster.

Bailey was our extra wise head in the box. We need more points of view from assistants from different teams and some wise heads.

I don't care about titles, many clubs have a very experienced person in the box with the coach.

On the other hand we seem to have a group of assistants with quite a narrow range of experience.

Clarkson has Ratten. Sydney has Blakey who was assistant under Matthews at Bris then Sydney. Etc etc...

The club decided we needed to change from Craig, but we still have assistants who sat under him, correct me if I'm wrong, but have had little else... ok so Campo was at Essendon for a couple years.. Clarke is 'midfield development coach' - with us his entire career as had Bickley. As a whole this is a recipe for disaster.

Bailey was our extra wise head in the box. We need more points of view from assistants from different teams and some wise heads.

I don't disagree that our box needs a complete o/haul however to attract the right people the club needs to be clear on the preferred model that needs to be adopted

Do I believe Bomber would want to come for a Senior Asst role - no, however a Director of Coaching with some real bite to the role well maybe he will at least listen

I don't disagree that our box needs a complete o/haul however to attract the right people the club needs to be clear on the preferred model that needs to be adopted

Do I believe Bomber would want to come for a Senior Asst role - no, however a Director of Coaching with some real bite to the role well maybe he will at least listen
Can call him President if it gets him here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back