Brad Scott's overarching legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Did your ex-wife continually proclaim how much she'd set you up for short, medium and long term success though?
Actually, it was a "reverse Scotts" scenario - compared to your typical North player during Brad's tenure, the marriage had a negative impact on my net worth.

Probably been mentioned already…

but how bout the hypocrisy of the AFL including when Brad Scott was trotted out about lecturing everyone else about “umpire respect” !?

All whilst this Women’s umpiring report was kept quite 6months !!!

Especially as it also implicated in part some of their administrators !

Numbers don't mean much unless there is context added or at the very least something to compare to.

During that same timeframe (2012-2016) let's see how Collingwood went:

• 53 players brought in (that includes free agents, trades, drafting (rookie and national).
  • 13 players are still in the system
  • 9 for pies (they did quite well on the trade table as Adams, Crisp, and Howe are still key pillars for their team)
  • 4 for others (of those Treloar is the only one having an impact...maybe Aish...if you're being kind)

I used the same principle for North
  • 40 players brought in
  • 14 players are still in the system
  • 7 for North (McDonald, Turner, Anderson, McKay, Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar)
  • 7 for others

Collingwood strike rate: 24.5%
North strike rate: 35%

A quick look over other teams and it's a similar story. Again, context matters.

Tom Cruise Goose GIF by Top Gun

Cool gif fyi- I'm mad for a 5ft 1 Tommy Cruise. Now in life I don't tend to be one who would ever use others efforts as an excuse for our own poor performance.

Pies also won the flag two seasons earlier. And looking at how the majority of their picks were later in the draft I would suggest they did a little bit of trading?
And is this the same Pies that lost the GF by 5 points in 2019? So yeah we fiddled for years and are now paying for the ineptitude of our then decision makers.

Anyways I appreciate that we all have differing views on all things football.

Cool gif fyi- I'm mad for a 5ft 1 Tommy Cruise. Now in life I don't tend to be one who would ever use others efforts as an excuse for our own poor performance.

Pies also won the flag two seasons earlier. And looking at how the majority of their picks were later in the draft I would suggest they did a little bit of trading?
And is this the same Pies that lost the GF by 5 points in 2019? So yeah we fiddled for years and are now paying for the ineptitude of our then decision makers.

Anyways I appreciate that we all have differing views on all things football.
In that time North had 1 pick inside the top 10 (McDonald #8 (FS)). Otherwise it was #16, #15, and #12.

Collingwood had four (Scharenberg #6, Freeman #10, DeGoey #5 (got for trading out Beams), Moore #9 (FS)) and traded #7 for Treloar. Thanks largely to a drop out of the top 8 between 2014-17.

I'm not denying Collingwood have done well. They brought a good attacking game style in 2019 and their defence was solid and got the best out of limited players. They've also have a good crop of senior players - Grundy, Sidebottom, Pendles, and Moore.

You may not want to use others efforts and in this instance I can see why (because it doesn't help your point) but you were talking pure numbers (without context) and using that against Joyce. As if success comes down to recruitment only. His numbers stack up well against other teams. The coach, our development of players, and injuries played a bigger part. Bein s**t during compromised draft and sitting mid-table for so long certainly didn't help our cause either. Variables matter because they tell the full story.

Going well.
Appalling list, no Shinboner Spirit and past players have little to do with club.
Shinboner Spirit is bollocks. Essentially boils down to being content with a good, honest, competitive team. I don't want a good, honest, competitive team. I want a team of talent, mongrel and winners. Can't recall who it was but I know we've had a coach over the last 20 years who wanted to flush the idea of the Shinboner Spirit down the toilet. And I fully ******* agree. It's the Shinboner Spirit that enables one to be satisfied with decades of mediocrity. Oh as long as they give it a crack and don't give up. Bullshit. I want every one of our blokes to have JHF's mentality. The mentality of winning, of not taking s**t, and wanting to be at the top

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shinboner Spirit is bollocks. Essentially boils down to being content with a good, honest, competitive team. I don't want a good, honest, competitive team. I want a team of talent, mongrel and winners. Can't recall who it was but I know we've had a coach over the last 20 years who wanted to flush the idea of the Shinboner Spirit down the toilet. And I fully ******* agree. It's the Shinboner Spirit that enables one to be satisfied with decades of mediocrity. Oh as long as they give it a crack and don't give up. Bullshit. I want every one of our blokes to have JHF's mentality. The mentality of winning, of not taking s**t, and wanting to be at the top
Talk to those anonymous people who hung shinbones on the fence at Arden St a while back about whether they were happy with a mediocre middle of the ladder outcome. Shinboner Spirit is a legacy of the club's origins and equates to G&D or Never Give In.

I get your point that the mentality of winning, of not taking s**t, and wanting to be at the top is what needs to be drummed into the team. But Shinboner Spirit DOES encapsulate that.

Talk to those anonymous people who hung shinbones on the fence at Arden St a while back about whether they were happy with a mediocre middle of the ladder outcome. Shinboner Spirit is a legacy of the club's origins and equates to G&D or Never Give In.

I get your point that the mentality of winning, of not taking s**t, and wanting to be at the top is what needs to be drummed into the team. But Shinboner Spirit DOES encapsulate that.
I would agree with you but I just can't see that. You have serially successful clubs like Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, who seem to have extended periods of contention every decade. Then you've got us, the Dogs, the Saints, the consistent underdogs who need to capitalise on a year of dominance because they so rarely have such years. I get it's linked with the roots of the club, but I can't see how it's beneficial. It screams 'honest trier,' and I'd say our history reflects that image by and large

I would agree with you but I just can't see that. You have serially successful clubs like Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, who seem to have extended periods of contention every decade. Then you've got us, the Dogs, the Saints, the consistent underdogs who need to capitalise on a year of dominance because they so rarely have such years. I get it's linked with the roots of the club, but I can't see how it's beneficial. It screams 'honest trier,' and I'd say our history reflects that image by and large
Nup. It means work your arse off and get everything out of yourself. We had poor lists but worked hard. The current bunch work to that ethos and they could be anything.

In that time North had 1 pick inside the top 10 (McDonald #8 (FS)). Otherwise it was #16, #15, and #12.

Collingwood had four (Scharenberg #6, Freeman #10, DeGoey #5 (got for trading out Beams), Moore #9 (FS)) and traded #7 for Treloar. Thanks largely to a drop out of the top 8 between 2014-17.

I'm not denying Collingwood have done well. They brought a good attacking game style in 2019 and their defence was solid and got the best out of limited players. They've also have a good crop of senior players - Grundy, Sidebottom, Pendles, and Moore.

You may not want to use others efforts and in this instance I can see why (because it doesn't help your point) but you were talking pure numbers (without context) and using that against Joyce. As if success comes down to recruitment only. His numbers stack up well against other teams. The coach, our development of players, and injuries played a bigger part. Bein s**t during compromised draft and sitting mid-table for so long certainly didn't help our cause either. Variables matter because they tell the full story.

Nah not true I don't care what the Pies have done and march to the beat of my own drum through my life. As you do though, Sydney still retain 13 players and another 8 are at other clubs. Dees 11 & 4. Richmond 10/4 I only looked at those clubs as they've all have done well enough in recent times.

At days end Joyces is coaching AFLW- that speaks volumes for how he's perceived in the industry. FYI not well at all. I really wish it wasn't that way and I hope by 2025 we can look back at 2017-21 see plus ten still remaining on our list. Means we've got it right.

We have six remaining yeah- Turner, McDonald, ( wasn't worth a top ten pick but circumstances were against us) then Simpkin, McKay, Larkey and Zurhaar.

Only two of those weren't our first selection in the Nat draft. Maybe that's what I should have focused on. Surely the majority of clubs would expect their first choice to have some sort of lengthy career.

Anyways in my oh so humble opinion we're in the s**t due to that horrid period of drafting/trading.

McDonald ( wasn't worth a top ten pick but circumstances were against us)
I'm not so sure about that. Most had him ranked #5 in the 2013 draft (including Twomey). Sure we got screwed over taking him so early but he's still a good player from a pretty average draft. After his pick there are only a few that have done more (arguably) - Salem, Cripps, Merrett, Nankervis, Sicily, and Brown. 1 of those we picked anyway. So even with the benefit of hindsight it was pretty slim pickings. Could have been worse given the dudes that were in and around LMac.

His legacy is a bunch of *******s are still obsessed with him.

Brady Rawlings and the board ****ed your club good and proper and you’re still too gutless to call them out.

Brady Rawlings and the board *ed your club good and proper and you’re still too gutless to call them out.
Yes time to get over BS as our coach and focus on him as * coach.

I do agree that the Board has the ultimate responsibility for holding onto BS for too long and allowing him to do what he wanted with the playing group. It was almost like after saving the club in 2007 (thanks to the members) the Board appointed BS then went onto cruise control and snoozed for 10 years :sleeping:

Brady Rawlings and the board *ed your club good and proper and you’re still too gutless to call them out.
It should 100% be called out that the campaigner oversaw our draft assistance whilst in talks with our arch enemy! An absolute injustice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back