Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

He's played two VFL games in his first season at the club.

He'll be fine.

I am not Knocking him at all.

Glad we have a Great User of the Ball. Just needs to work on his Engine

Ramsay was taken around the same pick and is only starting to push for best 22 in his 3rd year, probably will be the same for Maynard.
Ramsay was a bottom ager though, and super skinny. Flat out didn't have the build for AFL and wasn't going to at least until end of year 2/start of year 3.

Maynard on the other hand, has a ready made AFL physique, and seems to have a better skillset than Ramsay (not surprising given the reported evenness of the top 30 last year). Still doubtful on whether he will debut before next year, but that has more to do with his fitness than his development as a player. He was one of the few players that impressed me yesterday, has a lovely penetrating left foot on him, and is hard at the contest. I really like the look of him.

Ramsay was a bottom ager though, and super skinny. Flat out didn't have the build for AFL and wasn't going to at least until end of year 2/start of year 3.

Maynard on the other hand, has a ready made AFL physique, and seems to have a better skillset than Ramsay (not surprising given the reported evenness of the top 30 last year). Still doubtful on whether he will debut before next year, but that has more to do with his fitness than his development as a player. He was one of the few players that impressed me yesterday, has a lovely penetrating left foot on him, and is hard at the contest. I really like the look of him.

Agree - Maynards Fitness is the Biggest thing he needs work on.

I also love his Pentrating Kicking and also has a Hard-Edge to him and also does not take a Sideways Step

I also love his Pentrating Kicking and also has a Hard-Edge to him and also does not take a Sideways Step
I should hope that's not true or he'll get caught holding the ball a s**t-ton.

I should hope that's not true or he'll get caught holding the ball a s**t-ton.

You don’t get what I mean. He does have Evasivness about him but he won’t take a Sideway Steps when someone is running at him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What impressed you about Maynard? I don't have the stats but for memory he really didn't find the ball that often or have a big defensive impact. Personally I preferred Goodyear's game. I do like his aggressive tackling, he will be a really tough player for us going forward

What impressed you about Maynard? I don't have the stats but for memory he really didn't find the ball that often or have a big defensive impact. Personally I preferred Goodyear's game. I do like his aggressive tackling, he will be a really tough player for us going forward

Apart from De Goey who was very good the rest of the first years were ok nothing more. Not that I would expect much from them at this early stage. They have plenty of time to get comfortable playing against men.

Agreed he didn't find the ball much, but when he did get it he seemed to have a bit of poise, and he's a lovely kick. I can forgive a second round pick for not being a ball magnet at this stage of their career, not everyone picked at 30 is Dayne Beams.

I did like Goodyears game too. If he puts on a few kg's I can really see him hurting his opponents in his tackles.

Agreed he didn't find the ball much, but when he did get it he seemed to have a bit of poise, and he's a lovely kick. I can forgive a second round pick for not being a ball magnet at this stage of their career, not everyone picked at 30 is Dayne Beams.

I did like Goodyears game too. If he puts on a few kg's I can really see him hurting his opponents in his tackles.

Well - 2nd Round you are not exactly getting a Complete Player but Maynard have some very nice Traits.

We need good Kicks and he shown that he is. Also a Big Body that we need

I think Goodyear best Postion is a Inside Mid and I have my doubts he could play elsewhere

He's a bit like Harry O. Nice kick but hands are not great.

Harry was never a nice kick. He was a liability in fact. He had good run and carry. But lets not confuse the two.

Brayden looks to have a LONG way to go going off the replays. He has some super good traits that should translate well to AFL, but clearly a work in progress. There's enough there to have me extremely excited.

I 100% Agree. He is fair way off from Playing AFL but has AFL Traits and Hopefully after a few more Pre-Seasons he be Ready to Play AFL as I think he has the Game to be quite a Damaging Player with his Kicking

Reminds me a bit of Campbell Brown. Tough medium sized loves to tackle good kick.. just needs to find more footy and get involved more.

Once he build his Engine up then more he can get Involved

Once he build his Engine up then more he can get Involved

That's probably going to take a couple of years but I think the club realises they've unearthed another Hine special here. Watching him use that silky left foot of his in those U18 highlights still makes me drool just a little - there's definitely a place for him in our best 22 if he can get his fitness levels up.

I'm happy that the recruiting department has finally started targeting elite users of the ball that make good decisions and especially a left footer or two with some of our more recent draft picks.

That's probably going to take a couple of years but I think the club realises they've unearthed another Hine special here. Watching him use that silky left foot of his in those U18 highlights still makes me drool just a little - there's definitely a place for him in our best 22 if he can get his fitness levels up.

I'm happy that the recruiting department has finally started targeting elite users of the ball that make good decisions and especially a left footer or two with some of our more recent draft picks.

Even better seeing his Silky Left Foot in Black and White Jumper:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back