Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't have a great game. Though putting him on Gunston and Rioli at times was pure mean. 2 of the agile forwards in the game.

He was playing his first game against the reigning premier.

Not sure what people were expecting but outside a couple of errors was solid and some of his kicks sublime.

That one to Toovey in particular was brilliant and wasn't his fault Toovey dropped a pud.

I'd play him ahead of Goldsack next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was fine. Breust is a sneaky rat and he only got out a few times for easy uncontested goals. Other than that Maynard had him well covered. Considering his game is supposed to be more based on his disposal it's a good sign that he's very capable defensively too unlike... Seedsman.

Should be good with experience.

Thought he showed some tools which will aid him a great deal down the track, and not just his kicking but his movement in traffic, clean hands and good vision. Having said that, he doesn't yet look ready.

Dude cost us 2 goals. One by tripping over his own feet and by failing to pinpoint a 15 metre pass he should never have been attempting

Yeah I thought he was pretty bad at times. But that has no bearing on his future career. I remember when we had a good laugh over McCartins debut. Just because a player fails in his first game doesn't mean much.

Dude cost us 2 goals. One by tripping over his own feet and by failing to pinpoint a 15 metre pass he should never have been attempting

It was three. There was a moment at the Punt Rd end when he went to whack a bouncing ball away from a contest he missed it completely and it fell to the back for Hawthorn to punish us...

He wasn't ready, IMO, there was a bit to like when he had ball in hand and he took the game on by foot which I really liked. The problem is we need him using it by foot at least 10+ times a match to cover for his current defensive weaknesses and he's not there yet.

I've seen worse debuts (Moore's for instance), but last night may have cost us top 4 so we need to make sure we don't get in a scrap to make the 8 from here and the first step in that process is to send Maynard (and Moore) back to the VFL for a little while.

When an 18-19 year old debuts, I don't rate them on their overall performance, because they are always going to be inferior to the others out there. I look for just a moment or two to see if they are capable of doing anything at senior level, because if they can do it once on debut, they will do it a heap once they get experienced.

That kick from Maynard to De Goey in the middle of the ground, under pressure late in the last quarter was the moment for me, he will be a player, just a matter of how good, not if.

Put them both down to inexperience. Agree with the shirt pass and he will learn from that, the other that had him "tripping" was good body work by a more experienced premiership footballer.

As I have mentioned previously. I'm looking forward to a half back line of Maynard Reid Scharenberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back