Brendan Gale -Tasmania CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

I work in construction and adding 20k extra seats to a fully roofed sports stadium that is completed will cost more than the initial build and is a nightmare engineering wise.

Not to mention the down time during the construction stage which will render it virtually unusable during the time of an upgrade if it happens and it wont happen in one off season!
IMG_1093.png The top diagrams were released buy the premier a few months ago stating the stadium will be built to allow for staged expansion when required.

Might be the case for a few seasons , but I know that changed pretty quickly for the jack jumpers in the NBL once they started to win consistently the underdog tag got slipped pretty quickly
I think at least most Victorians have a genuine affection for Tasmania. I think that people will be surprised as to how many Victorians will be keen to getover and watch their team play.

I can tell you why because despite what they say expansion wise it will never happen once the stadium is built.

Whatever capacity the stadium has from Day 1 it is staying like that for a very long time. 😉

Yep, there is no chance it will happen. The AFL said it had to be bigger or they wouldnt go ahead and allow them into the comp, and when everyone involved said it couldnt happen - this is the lie they settled on.

Whatever it is, is what it will stay.

The stadium is slated to hold 23 000. Hasn't changed through any of the planning or discussions. I doubt that they'd ever expect a crowd of 40,000 for a city of just over 200k. That would be the equivalent of1 in 5 of all people going. Or the equivalent of a Melbourne team getting 1,000 000 to a game.
It's not quite the same, as Melbourne has ~77% of Victoria's population, whereas Hobart has under 40% of Tasmania's population. I think the way the population is scattered in Tassie makes these sort of calculations a bit wonky.

For example, Launceston (population 90,000) has had AFL crowds of 20,000.

I can tell you why because despite what they say expansion wise it will never happen once the stadium is built.

Whatever capacity the stadium has from Day 1 it is staying like that for a very long time. 😉
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

I think at least most Victorians have a genuine affection for Tasmania. I think that people will be surprised as to how many Victorians will be keen to getover and watch their team play.

The rest of the country consider it basically country Victoria and are very much aware this is a case of ‘little brother’ getting a go on the Nintendo, as opposed to an actual smart business decision.

Not even mad that it was announced he is going to Tassie the same day he announces he is leaving Richmond at the end of the year.

We all knew where he was going... let's be real, I think the AFL missed out big time with him not being CEO of the AFL.
I really hope we go to market & get a quality person that knows football as well business.

The rest of the country consider it basically country Victoria and are very much aware this is a case of ‘little brother’ getting a go on the Nintendo, as opposed to an actual smart business decision.
Well considering that Melbourne is the biggest city in the country I think that they’ll be o.k.

There were plenty that thought that granting licences to West Coast and Fremantle was like letting 'little brother' getting a go on the Nintendo at the time.

Be interested for you to tell us why it's not a smart business decision. They've wrangled the funding for a good stadium, appointed one of the best CEO's in the game, signed up 180,000 foundation members (albeit at $10 per head), have big money consortium's queueing up for the private/public part of the stadium. They will have sponsors (e.g Cadbury, Boags etc) lining up to throw money at the team. The state government have committed large amounts of money for their first 10 years.

So please enlighten us as to why you don't see it as a smart business decision?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back