Mega Thread The Western Bulldogs - The Sack Macca saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but they all have great coaches and we have Macca
Thing is if in 2 years from now we are looking at a top 4 spot and going great, you will be the sort of person that will write, oh its not because of the coach its because the list is that good anybody could coach them to greatness.

By the looks of it i have no doubt you are :) maybe you are anti the coach because with him gone it means you have less to bag about your club and it will give you your life back ;-)
Wat.jpeg

Chill Bulldog15. No need for the aggression.
Its not aggression :) just stating he is only about bagging the coach on here, im for Macca but have reservations on matchday and wont be sold on him untill end of next year when our young guys will have more games. If we are not pushing for the eight next year at the end then ill have second thoughts most likely.

Its not aggression :) just stating he is only about bagging the coach on here, im for Macca but have reservations on matchday and wont be sold on him untill end of next year when our young guys will have more games. If we are not pushing for the eight next year at the end then ill have second thoughts most likely.
Have you seen any of my posts before brah, don't think I've bagged the coach once.

So I'm going to be that guy and be the first to post after a bad loss...
I honestly don't see the direction of the team. I understand the need to rebuilt the list, and have a new game style developed. But we've stagnated, and when you compare to the game against Sydney last year, we've gone backward.
I really want him to.. but I can't see our current coach coaching a finals team. We're still three years away and maybe a different coach away.
The most disappointing thing for me, overall, is the poor team selection. Very poor team selection and structure from round 1 through to this year.
It's a good thing he's developed our young players well and it's to his credit that players like Stringer, Macrae, Bonts have come on as quickly as they have.
I just believe he's too limited tactically, team-building, match day and structurally-wise to ever become a high-quality AFL mastermind coach.
I hope he proves me wrong... and proves me wrong sooner or later.

I honestly don't see the direction of the team. I understand the need to rebuilt the list, and have a new game style developed. But we've stagnated, and when you compare to the game against Sydney last year, we've gone backward.
I really want him to.. but I can't see our current coach coaching a finals team. We're still three years away and maybe a different coach away.
The most disappointing thing for me, overall, is the poor team selection. Very poor team selection and structure from round 1 through to this year.
It's a good thing he's developed our young players well and it's to his credit that players like Stringer, Macrae, Bonts have come on as quickly as they have.
I just believe he's too limited tactically, team-building, match day and structurally-wise to ever become a high-quality AFL mastermind coach.

That's ok - lots of questions to be asked after the last two weeks - and at least you've articulated a position and explained why you have concerns.

Not sure I can answer them to be honest, but I have a very long post planned for this thread - if that's any consolation....

This sums up my feelings completely mate, i have come away from games bemused lately, not really angry about the losses, can't really get into the wins, just a completely nothing season for me.
Like yourself i just cannot see the direction we are trying to go, and i would have thought that this would have been the season of consolidation with the structure of the team being set and the guys learning to gell.
Instead we have been all over the shop and from the outside looking in it looks that the coach and MC do not have a lot of confidence in many of the players who should be the pillars of our side.

This sums up my feelings completely mate, i have come away from games bemused lately, not really angry about the losses, can't really get into the wins, just a completely nothing season for me.
Like yourself i just cannot see the direction we are trying to go, and i would have thought that this would have been the season of consolidation with the structure of the team being set and the guys learning to gell.
Instead we have been all over the shop and from the outside looking in it looks that the coach and MC do not have a lot of confidence in many of the players who should be the pillars of our side.
Begs the question
Will we do well next year?
If not, why? Poor coaching? Poor development?
If we do improve, it is because of good coaching? Unlikely
If we do improve, is it because of the natural progression of our young players?
Can we develop that natural progression to the coach's good development, or would they have progressed anyway?
Should we hang our hats on W/L next year?
Will we ever make/win a final, under our current coach?
It's all a bit "meh". I just hope that one way or another from purely an entertainment and spectator point of view, coaching and players aside, we win games. Because I like seeing the Bulldogs winning games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Begs the question
Will we do well next year?
If not, why? Poor coaching? Poor development?
If we do improve, it is because of good coaching? Unlikely
If we do improve, is it because of the natural progression of our young players?
Can we develop that natural progression to the coach's good development, or would they have progressed anyway?
Should we hang our hats on W/L next year?
Will we ever make/win a final, under our current coach?
It's all a bit "meh". I just hope that one way or another from purely an entertainment and spectator point of view, coaching and players aside, we win games. Because I like seeing the Bulldogs winning games.

It does beg the question doesn't it.
I know Macca is not a stupid man, and i know he has a very good football brain, too many people simply cannot be that wrong about him , so i just have to believe that there are things going on behind the scenes that we, the masses, are not privy to.
That being said if things are not very different in a good way next season, then i will be very rapidly loosing faith.

Thing is if in 2 years from now we are looking at a top 4 spot and going great, you will be the sort of person that will write, oh its not because of the coach its because the list is that good anybody could coach them to greatness.

By then we will have a team stockpiled with high draft picks courtesy of so many low finishing Macca teams, that on talent alone and not coaching we will challenge

It does beg the question doesn't it.
I know Macca is not a stupid man, and i know he has a very good football brain, too many people simply cannot be that wrong about him , so i just have to believe that there are things going on behind the scenes that we, the masses, are not privy to.
That being said if things are not very different in a good way next season, then i will be very rapidly loosing faith.
As silly and as easy of an avenue to attack him as it does, and linking together with all the great stuff people have said about him, I believe that his poor tactical nous and match-day coaching can be attributed to never playing the game at a high level himself.

Good coaching is not about playing the best team every week and setting up the strategy to get the best result possible.
There is far more to it than that and just doing that is far too short sighted to ever lead to a premiership (see Eade's overly shallow teams).
No one knows whether he is a good tactical match day coach because we haven't seen him doing that yet.
Clearly he is creating situations to develop the young players while providing support through the senior players.
All we can say at this stage is that he is a good developmental coach from the performance of our recent recruits.
When we start playing to win rather than playing to develop then we will know what he is like as a match day coach. For now we don't have the information to make that decision.

No one knows whether he is a good tactical match day coach because we haven't seen him doing that yet.
When we start playing to win rather than playing to develop then we will know what he is like as a match day coach. For now we don't have the information to make that decision.

FWIW thought Roughie looked more at ease in the forward line in the last quarter and when he lead, ran back and lead again, thought, maybe he is more of a forward.

Maybe that was for development but at the start it did not take a coaching genius to know that allowing a +1 and then +2 would lead to trouble on the scoreboard, why would he do this? He is a senior coach, development for three years now, take a look at the crowd, we had such a choice of seats, the members are voting with their feet.

FWIW thought Roughie looked more at ease in the forward line in the last quarter and when he lead, ran back and lead again, thought, maybe he is more of a forward.

Maybe that was for development but at the start it did not take a coaching genius to know that allowing a +1 and then +2 would lead to trouble on the scoreboard, why would he do this? He is a senior coach, development for three years now, take a look at the crowd, we had such a choice of seats, the members are voting with their feet.
Playing against Sydney at the moment for most teams "would lead to trouble on the score board". What is your point? That we would have won if we had set up differently?

As for the crowd, that happens to every team when they are down the bottom and playing a team they are guaranteed to lose against. If we want short term boost in membership then we could take the easy route, buy some old quality players for more than they are worth and sell out the future but that doesn't lead to a flag.

With Roughy being a forward, I think just playing as a full back for a while teaches you how to play as a full forward. Look at Lake and Frawley, both are good defenders who know what to do when they come forward. Moving him forward against quality backmen will teach him what they do and hopefully he can use that next time he goes back. If he does end up a forward then good times but I don't think we necessarily have to chose. To quote the Taco ad "why can't we have both".

2 points

1- any coach that takes a team to top 4 has to have the list to do so BUT MUST be given credit for doing so and if Macca does that I'm more than happy to put my hand up and say I was wrong

2- won't happen coz he can't coach

2 points

1- any coach that takes a team to top 4 has to have the list to do so BUT MUST be given credit for doing so and if Macca does that I'm more than happy to put my hand up and say I was wrong

2- won't happen coz he can't coach

Aww MD waiting for your post.
On a more serious note this list is no where near top 4, 3 years away with good trading and drafting.

However, if we see too much of last week against mediocre sides like Norf, well MD your bandwagon may well need to be upgraded to a freight train.

Sorry excuses done 1/1/2015

By the looks of it i have no doubt you are :) maybe you are anti the coach because with him gone it means you have less to bag about your club and it will give you your life back ;-)

Who is this blow in obviously using a new name??

lol some of you people amuse me you really do

Yeah I love going to the footy and watching my team get brushed aside but of course that is not the coaches fault ever is it ? (INSERT THIS WEEKS EX USE PLEASE)

Pretty impressed with today actually we got ten goals closer than I thought but let's be honest the swans stood on our throat then took it off and cruised

Anyway another week gone, one week closer to the end of 2015 and ....

Last edited:
Aww MD waiting for your post.
On a more serious note this list is no where near top 4, 3 years away with good trading and drafting.

However, if we see too much of last week against mediocre sides like Norf, well MD your bandwagon may well need to be upgraded to a freight train.

Sorry excuses done 1/1/2015

Lol no prob lachy

But you wrong mate

This list is NEVER capable of a top 4 finish without the introduction of KPS and that's another issue

Let's say we draft KPS, everyone knows that most take many years to come thru so under this we are at least 5-6 years from competing top 4

And I don't think we have the "pull" to attract someone like Frawley or Cameron unless we throw stupid money at them

So unless we have a KP tree at Whitten Oval and it's due to beat fruit I simply can't see this top 4 garbage people go on with

You can have the best midfield in the league but of you haven't got people to kick in to then your no chance

Ok I don't wish to be rude or sarcastic(NO PNEST!!!!) but this may possibly be the most ridiculous comment I have ever seen on this forum

3 years in and your attempting to say he has had no opportunities to show his tactical ability??? Even of as you say he is creating and so on EVERY GAME GIVES A COACH 100 OPPORTUNITIES TO SHOW HIS TACTICAL ABILITY

No matter what cattle or what plan you have once the game starts it's up to the coach to coach for that day WITH an eye to the future

We are way past him coaching simply for the future and forgetting today in his third year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back