Mega Thread The Western Bulldogs - The Sack Macca saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Scott has been amazing for the catters mutt. Id take him in a heartbeat.

Can't argue that hinkleys the hot man right now, no question.

I love mccatneys philosophy on footy, his talent Id criteria and his development skills. Still far from convinced on his tactical stuff. Rooting for the guy though.

Chris Scott has come across as a smug prick - his comments about "mission accomplished" after Hawthorn beat them late in the season and that s**t-eating grin - like he knew something that we and Hawthorn didn't. Well I have two words for Chris Scott..."straight sets."

Seriously, it is very hard to rate Chris Scott given that he inherited a playing list and game style that delivered the most successful team in the history of the game. The list was 90% in tact when he inherited it and, unsurprisingly, they went on to win a flag. A bit like Allan Joyce at Hawthorn, who was later found to be a pretty average coach when shifted from the might of Hawthorn to the lowly Bulldogs.

If Chris Scott can reinvent Geelong and win another flag, then I'll concede he is a very good coach. Until that time, I think he was the luckiest man in AFL football for decades because he fell into a position where it was almost impossible for him to fail.

Chris Scott has come across as a smug prick - his comments about "mission accomplished" after Hawthorn beat them late in the season and that s**t-eating grin - like he knew something that we and Hawthorn didn't. Well I have two words for Chris Scott..."straight sets."

Seriously, it is very hard to rate Chris Scott given that he inherited a playing list and game style that delivered the most successful team in the history of the game. The list was 90% in tact when he inherited it and, unsurprisingly, they went on to win a flag. A bit like Allan Joyce at Hawthorn, who was later found to be a pretty average coach when shifted from the might of Hawthorn to the lowly Bulldogs.

If Chris Scott can reinvent Geelong and win another flag, then I'll concede he is a very good coach. Until that time, I think he was the luckiest man in AFL football for decades because he fell into a position where it was almost impossible for him to fail.
I think his mission accomplished thing was taken a bit out of context. I took it more as, we didn't get any injuries, we played some good footy and saw some things that worked. Anyhoo, I wouldn't hang him on that regardless.

I also think their 2011 flag was a surprise and he has done a superb job maintaining their standard of footy despite the loss/decline of one of the greatest core groups of players in the history of the game. I love his style of footy and players consistently improve and develop under him.

"It was a testy confrontation early yesterday when McCartney met Geelong club chiefs Brian Cook and Neil Balme. McCartney was reminded that he had committed to the club for the long term, although such agreements seem to count for little in football these days."

From the sounds of things Geelong had a long term plan for McCartney but he wanted to coach now and Geelong didnt think he was ready. That brings a little more perspective on why he left Geelong (he went to Essendon after that)

I seriously struggle to understand what people see in McCartney and why they feel that he should remain in the post.

He has 2 years left on his contract. The club is not in a position to throw away money terminating contracts early when we are trying to find the money to keep players like Jones around.

Last edited:
I think his mission accomplished thing was taken a bit out of context. I took it more as, we didn't get any injuries, we played some good footy and saw some things that worked. Anyhoo, I wouldn't hang him on that regardless.

I also think their 2011 flag was a surprise and he has done a superb job maintaining their standard of footy despite the loss/decline of one of the greatest core groups of players in the history of the game. I love his style of footy and players consistently improve and develop under him.

We may have to agree to disagree Fronk........again! :p

He has 2 years left on his contract. The club is not in a position to throw away money terminating contracts early when we are trying to find the money to keep players like Jones around.

I didn't think the club was in a financial position to put the cue away from 2012-2017 but they elected to do that. Not completely their fault but it was the easy way out.

Having said, from where we are now there is only one course.

I didn't think the club was in a financial position to put the cue away from 2012-2017 but they elected to do that.

Having said, from where we are now there is only one course.

agree.. what's done is done, he's got 2 seasons to do something and get this club in to shape on field and if he doesnt, the club cant continue to put up with a less than mediocre output.

Agree. Scott inherited a list of experienced and classy players who knew the system inside out. They were basically self regulating, the products of an excellent and long standing development program, astute recruiting and some luck with father sons. When all the existing players are so adept, knowledgable and with a common philosophy it's not as difficult for one or two new players to assimilate into the already established system. Contrast with our list, full of holes and less talented, having to learn and adapt to a new but proven system. As our list matures and the talented younger group become the core and senior players, we will also have far less trouble intergrating new players because a) we won't be turning the list over as much and b) the bulk/core of players will scaffold new players as an extension of the coaching group into an already established and ingrained system.
Hard to judge Scott either way given what he walked into.

Hinkley was passed over by St Kiljoy for Watters :confused:. I have an idea he applied another time as well. He'd given up on senior aspirations when he went to GC as an assistant as he found the process demoralising. He was talked into having one more try when the PA job came up, and did so on the understanding that it was a formality, which is what happened. PA didn't have a lot of options at that stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is the evidence for these claims? These are not your opinions, but the opinions of other credible people you are 'quoting' to add weight to your views: perhaps you should post links to the sources.
That's 100% Mutt, that was the reason Macca went yo Essendon. One of the better posts I have read on here Mutt. Well done.

Hinkley was passed over by St Kiljoy for Watters :confused:. I have an idea he applied another time as well. He'd given up on senior aspirations when he went to GC as an assistant as he found the process demoralising. He was talked into having one more try when the PA job came up, and did so on the understanding that it was a formality, which is what happened. PA didn't have a lot of options at that stage.
Why are we so smug about this? Did we even interview Hinkley?

Remember when Silvagni was a line coach for us?
Has got me thinking, what other assistants have we had that were bad? David Schwartz (only part time I think?)

Other clubs and us
It's only an inkling, based on nothing other than my own observations of how he speaks, but I wonder whether presenting well in interviews was his forte. Might have been a fish out of water in the surrounds of a panel interview/presentation but perfectly at home on the track and in the box. The book was judged on its cover perhaps. Few opened the front cover or knew it was a limited edition collectors item. I think he was a perfect fit for Port at that moment. We, nor any other club will know what impact he'd have had with us because it never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back