Injury Brent Macaffer - ACL (confirmed by club - & different knee to last time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Malceski was in a similar position. Around the 26-27 age mark having just done a 2nd ACL. I think LARS could be an option for Caff.

Doc Larkins did say that he would only do it on a 32yr old who has one season left in him.
Two bad knees is going to be extremely hard when he returns. I don't know how the hell he will do it.

I am trying to find a positive in all this. Week after week we get bad news re injuries.
The only positive I can come up with is that at Collingwood your likely to recover from an ACL quicker than if you do your hammy.
Thats all I have got
Back to my depreession

Beat me too it...

Was gong to say 'yeah ACL is horrible news for the kid, but on the bright side at least he hasn't done his hammy...'

It's bad for Caff, and I don't want to dance on his grave, but I think we need a midfield without him in it

I'm the same... love the bloke.... but he's dead wood. It would be horrible to delist him but.... :confused:

Think we need to extend his contract to the end of 2016, if it hasn't already been done. First, we owe it to him to give himself a chance to get back and see how he goes. Second, it would be absolutely disastrous to the spirit and commitment of the team to leave a bloke hanging going through rehab for a knee copped while representing the club onfield. Players need to know they'll be treated fairly and supportively when injured.

Just a tragic fortnight for the Collingwood Football club. To lose Scharenberg and Macaffer for the entire 2015 season is just horrible.

My bigger concern though is that we enter the season 2 players short on the list, and we've seen this year the importance of depth.

Don't know what we are going to do about that.

Rhyce Shaw did his ACL in round 22 last year. He had Lars. He played Round 1 this year.

Here is an article from Jan 14 this year about it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-14/return-a-shaw-thing

And here is the official Collingwood club article not relating to any other player other than Caff as discussed.

"Macaffer will have a traditional knee reconstruction and aim to return in the second half of 2015".

Horses for courses and what best suits the individual as mentioned.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2014-08-25/macaffer-eyes-late-2015

Last edited:
Just a tragic fortnight for the Collingwood Football club. To lose Scharenberg and Macaffer for the entire 2015 season is just horrible.

My bigger concern though is that we enter the season 2 players short on the list, and we've seen this year the importance of depth.

That's what the LTI rule is for 86, hopefully another player or 2 will be promoted (Cox would be nice in 2015 as per Huddo), get an opportunity grab it with both hands and become an important player going forwards.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would Rookie Draft a Prospect and then they can fight for be Elevated to the Senior List

That's what the LTI rule is for 86, hopefully another player or 2 will be promoted (Cox would be nice), get an opportunity grab it with both hands and become an important player going forwards.

Cox Who?

Yes. The donor was deceased. Not sure if heritage was an issue or not.

Why have we not seen more off this in the AFL Krak came back early and was pretty effective seems safer then Lars

We would Rookie Draft a Prospect and then they can fight for be Elevated to the Senior List

Correct:thumbsu:

I have long been an admirer of Gault even thru his years of injuries, with White strugling and Lynch retiring he has all the motivation required to have a massive preseason to fill the 2nd ruck role/ key position utility role.

Troy Menzel had Lars at a young age and has no issues so far so maybe could be a option for caff as well

Caff has important role as he help Scharanberg thru his ACL as well

Yep and he's already acknowledged how he will partner Scharen through their recovery. It worked very well for Caff and Krak in 2012 so let's help the boys as much as we can and look forward to their returns in late 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back