Retired Brent Staker (2009-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Staker's set shot for goal has been much better post knee recos than before. His finishing overall has been quite good.
Are you just talking about his lions games there Grim, or have you included his weagles history? It felt like he had a massive case of the yips in his initial lions stint up forward, pre-reco... but I haven't looked at his eagles stats in years.

Are you just talking about his lions games there Grim, or have you included his weagles history? It felt like he had a massive case of the yips in his initial lions stint up forward, pre-reco... but I haven't looked at his eagles stats in years.

Just at the Lions, but from memory he wasn't anything flash at WC either. In his only proper season at the Lions, he really had the yips to start but got better as the season went on. It's almost as if that trend continued throughout his injury layoff, because his radar has been remarkably accurate so far.

Just at the Lions, but from memory he wasn't anything flash at WC either. In his only proper season at the Lions, he really had the yips to start but got better as the season went on. It's almost as if that trend continued throughout his injury layoff, because his radar has been remarkably accurate so far.

My memories of him at Weagles was as a half back with a long penetrating kick to advantage. I thought he was a good to very good kick when ever I caught the Weagles back then and had no issue when we we recruited him.

He certainly is a pretty long boot, evident in his kickouts. What I've liked since his return is that he seems to be going a bit harder at the ball, especially in the air. There was always a knock on him that he wasn't the most physical player however I think he's certainly picked up his game in this regard since his return. Seems to have very good hands in a contested marking situation.

at last there seems to be some good coming out of our 2009 recruiting horror story.

staker was always thereabouts, but has been very good since coming back from the long injury lay-off.

Surgery makes Staker stronger
2 August 2013
Jessica Webster

BRISBANE'S Brent Staker hopes to make up for lost time ahead of his 150th milestone match at the Gabba tomorrow night. The former West Coast utility, 29, said suffering two knee reconstructions has only made him mentally tougher ahead of the Lions’ clash against St Kilda.

“When you are injured you tend to always think about how much fun you had playing footy and you want to be out there, so when you come back you don’t let things worry you too much,” he said. “I don’t know if I feel fitter than ever but I feel more resilient.

While the Lions’ triple threat of Staker, Jonathan Brown and Daniel Merrett up forward can cause headaches of the Saints, Staker said the onus is on the midfielders to set the tone.

“Purely every game is decided by the midfielders now and how much they can get their hands on the footy early,” he said. “If our mids can do that then I’m sure we can put their defence under pressure.
169834-brent-staker.jpg

Staker not done yet
2 August 2013
Michael Whiting

MILESTONE man Brent Staker believes he has at least another two years of good footy after his successful comeback from two knee reconstructions.

From there, the former Eagle has not looked back and said returning from injury had given him a new perspective. "There's been some times when you question where your career is going. I've made a move here and suffered a few injuries, but it's satisfying to play 150 games," Staker said.

Staker has played as both a third tall defender and third tall forward since returning and done so exceptionally. He has kicked eight goals in the past month and formed a dangerous forward set-up alongside Brown and Merrett. It's a combination he can see working well into the future. "It's been efficient," he said.

"It would have been good to have it last year and the year before but you'd think going forward it'd be something that'd be quite successful."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is moving so well. Reminded me of Joel Macdonald after he came back from his knee reco - always on his toes, balanced and really nimble.

I like his size. He has come back bigger than before, can really hold up against the bigger key position players. Pre-knee reco he was a bit of rag doll like Cornelius.

word has it that he has been seen touring visy park with a view to signing with the blues.

what's going on all of a sudden, everyone wanting to leave. The players exodus is reaching epidemic proportions, we'll have no one left to play for us soon.

I've always been a massive fan of Staker. Would love him at the Blues but don't see why so many Lions players want out. You've got a great, emerging list, that is full of quality young leaders.

Brent Staker.We gave you a lifeline when the Eagles were set to dump you. We carried you through 2 years of knee recos - paying your wages & funding your rehab.If you go now then just f... off you piss poor excuse for a man.

To have kids homesick & seeing no future at the circus that is us now is one thing, but you owe us.

edit> if this is true

Remove this Banner Ad

Back