Brent Stanton retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Not trying to berate him. But I genuinely thought he retired years ago.
Underrated I think, always wondered why he copped so much flack.

Good solid player who left everything he had out on the ground. Him being booed is something Essendon supporters would like to forget.

It never happened, it's a myth.

He was certainly bronx cheered, which wasn't cool, and really disappointing when it was later revealed he was playing with a pretty serious injury that day.

Was harshly treated, but he wasn't booed. It doesn't even make sense that he would be.

Let's be honest, every club's supporters have bronx cheered their own on countless occasions. There's dickheads in every crowd.

A good solid honest clean footballer, never a snipe but never gave less than 110%, a good career and potentially a good coaching career ahead.
Never really thought about it but is Stants interested in coaching?
doesn't strike me as the type, more of a hard worker than a vocal leader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how posters on this website will lay into their own players for years but as soon as they retire they're saints and it's classless to say a bad word about them.

Hmmm not really. There's a total of two pages for a 200+ game retiree. People are calling him a good, serviceable player. Noone seems to be going over the top.

Never really thought about it but is Stants interested in coaching?
doesn't strike me as the type, more of a hard worker than a vocal leader.

I've not heard Stants say whether he would go down that path but I could see him being an assistant, maybe he will coach at local footy level rather than at AFL level.

Like you guys did with Lachie Henderson?

My best mate is a Carlton supporter and I go to many games with him. I have seen their supporters giving bronx cheers to many players such as Murphy, Gibbs, Jones and even Judd back in 2015 against Geelong. It is hilarious how people still mention the Stanton 'booing' when in reality Essendon supporters are no worse than others when it comes to that.

Not in the top echelon of players during his time however managed playing at least 20 games over the 2006-2015 period. Durable 250+ gamers are hard to come by no matter what club you support.

Came back after the year off and struggled to stay in the side under a new coach and game plan.

Has an interest in becoming an assistant coach. Could end up a nice pick up for a club.

Well done on achieving more than most ever will in this sport, Brent.

http://afl.com.au/news/2017-08-24/veteran-bomber-stanton-to-pull-the-pin
was often a much targeted player by bomberfans. wasn't the quickest or best user of the ball but usually always ran hard and gave his all.
he was constantly in the top three for endurance time trials at the club. something rather amusing as he is or was one of the few in society that still smoked the old darts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back