Brian Waldron

Remove this Banner Ad

A Player, or an Associate of a Player which has been licensed to use the Player’s Image, may contract with an AFL Club and/or Sponsor of an AFL Club to derive payments as a direct result of bona fide promotions/marketing by that Player in accordance with the Guidelines for Additional Services Agreements and the definition of Football Payments.

Such arrangements are separate and distinct from the Standard Playing Contract which regulates the employment of a Player to play
Australian Football for an AFL Club. Payments made pursuant to a marketingcontract shall be in addition to and separate from payments made to the Player for performance of service as a professional footballer and shall not be taken into account in calculating Total Player Payments except as provided in sub-clause 16.2.

16.2 For each AFL Club, where the total of payments to Players of that AFL Club for Additional Services Agreements in the relevant year exceeds the amounts set below:
2007 - $485,000
2008 - $519,000
2009 - $537,000
2010 - $555,000; and
2011 - $573,000
any excess shall, subject to sub-clause 16.3, be taken into account in calculating the Total Player Payments of the AFL Club in that year. In calculating the total ofpayments to Players under Additional Services Agreements, the amount of any goods and services tax payable to a Player or to an Associate of a Player shall be excluded.

16.3 Where the Total Player Payments to Players of an AFL Club for Additional Services Agreements exceeds or will exceed the amount set out in clause 16.2 in any year, such contracts shall be referred to the AFL General Manager – Football Operations.The AFL General Manager – Football Operations may determine that any such
excess (or part thereof) shall not be taken into account in calculating the Total Player Payments of the AFL Club in that year
.​

That's an excerpt from the 2007-11 AFLPA's Collective bargaining agreement, it's pretty clear cut from a contractual point of view.​

What you can also see is there's a fair scope for extra player payments in the form of additional service agreements to the tune of half a million each year.​

To put it into context, the Saints, theoritically could pay it's top 5 players 100k each outside the TPP and not have a worry in the world.​

The AFL cap was ~ 7 million in 2007, steadily increasing to ~8 million in 2011, that's effectively paying each player on average 200k a year.​

There really isnt much reason to try and rort the system, the players are paid well, there is scope for more payment and unlike rugby league, there is no competition for these players signature.​

No Rugby Union, no League in U.K snapping at the heels of dis enchanted players.​

Rugby league sides operate on a salary cap of ~4 million, it's chicken feed, the temptation to sign the best outside the cap with so many other competitors is always going to be a problem.​

I severly doubt the Saints will have anything to worry about.​

Take it from a Carlton supporter.

You do not want there to be anything in this.

Im not sure how you guys would deal with a million in fines and losing draft picks for a few years.

In addition to knocking us to the bottom of the ladder for the better part of a decade, it also nearly wiped us off the map finanically... and we were one of the biggest clubs in the AFL at the time.

For every rat you see...

Looking it from a point of view of a foreigner, all this situation looks very weird. It seems to me as if a lot of people are already treating St Kilda as if they were already guilty, or very suspicious of being.

There are still some posters who seem to be fair, like the Freo supporter who just commented before me. But mainly, is it me or the vast majority of footy fans like to hit on the Saints and would love to see them down yet again?

There are still some posters who seem to be fair, like the Freo supporter who just commented before me. But mainly, is it me or the vast majority of footy fans like to hit on the Saints and would love to see them down yet again?
Of course. Per Waldron: I'm just glad his career is over. He won't be able to get a job as a dogcatcher or even a street sweeper:) The fact we are being talked about and possibly investigated, because of this a**hole sickens me. Really hope he does a lot of prison time:thumbsu:

St Kilda should have nothing to worry about....

What is there to strip the club off?? Spoons??

I think Waldron's tenure at the club was 1999-2004.

If so, I hope St Kilda is stripped of their wooden spoon in 2000 because that rightfully belongs to Collingwood.

It kind of sucks that the only reason nobody is jumping all over the Saints is because of how rubbish they were at the time. If they'd had the smallest bit of success the long knives would be out, even before any investigation.

Guilt by association sucks. Glad Waldron's career is over.

Funny that the media were critical of St Kilda during Grant Thomas' time at St Kilda as HE was managing player contracts. Now people (probably the same ones) think Waldron was doing it? Surely Molly Meldrum was involved too.

I ame Waldron's tenure at the club was 1999-2004.

If so, I hope St Kilda is stripped of their wooden spoon in 2000 because that rightfully belongs to Collingwood.
how could he have cheated in that period? apart from the kids we drafted in that time (who i imagine would be on relatively small starter salaries) we had an absolutely shocking squad back then.

i dont watch nrl but i understand storm were the team of the decade, a brisbane or geelong of the 2000's with the best squad in the league. i would be absolutely shocked if anything near what happened to storm comes of it.

from what ive read their basically just re-investigating spider everitts deal, which they already did back in 2003. didnt find anything then, why would they now? at worst id say they might find some minor dodginess and maybe fine us but personally i dont reckon anything will come of it.

The Age is reporting that the AFL will take another look at the Everitt contract from around that time. Spida says he's owed $100k.

This is the weird bit, Spider mentioned how all his contract dealings with Waldron took place at a cafe or an external location to the club. Something that didn't happen at his other clubs.

Now that might just be the way Waldron preferred to do it but it's just a bit odd.

Anyway i highly doubt it happened at St.Kilda.

What kind of a person goes from club to club with the intentions of cheating?

There would be some form of penalty for St.Kilda, probably not a huge one though.

It kind of sucks that the only reason nobody is jumping all over the Saints is because of how rubbish they were at the time. If they'd had the smallest bit of success the long knives would be out, even before any investigation.
That's fair enough, though. If a team rorts the salary cap and finishes bottom, who cares? Yes, they've broken the rules, and yes, they should be punished, but no-one got hurt.

Compare that to a club that makes the finals on the back of cheating, or god forbid wins a premiership: that robs the supporters of other clubs. I would be absolutely livid if I supported one of those rugby clubs that finished runner-up to the Storm in 07 or 09. You can't do much worse to a fan than cheat him out of a flag.

Anyway, I doubt St. Kilda have much to worry about; it's been investigated before, and would be a relatively small violation even if the Everitt story is true.

I ame Waldron's tenure at the club was 1999-2004.

the 1999-04 is his total time at the club. not his CEO tenure.

IMO he was frustrated by his inability to "cook the books" in the afl and found himself a loophole at the nrl. He was most likely frustrated at the afl scrutiny at the saints and his plan was scuttled (minus the previously mentioned 05 breach) but resurrected in another code with less scrutiny.

The age is saying that "black, gehrig and hamill" came to the saints on good money. Well yes they did but what Caro conveniently forgets to mention is that we had a reason we could offer them good money (and that reason is we were sh!t).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's fair enough, though. If a team rorts the salary cap and finishes bottom, who cares? Yes, they've broken the rules, and yes, they should be punished, but no-one got hurt.

Compare that to a club that makes the finals on the back of cheating, or god forbid wins a premiership: that robs the supporters of other clubs. I would be absolutely livid if I supported one of those rugby clubs that finished runner-up to the Storm in 07 or 09. You can't do much worse to a fan than cheat him out of a flag.

Anyway, I doubt St. Kilda have much to worry about; it's been investigated before, and would be a relatively small violation even if the Everitt story is true.
That's not what I mean, though. My point is that the current lack of allegations directed at St Kilda isn't because of presumed innocence, it's just because even if they did they were unsuccessful. To me that's the right action for the wrong reasons.

Agree with the other stuff you're saying.

That's not what I mean, though. My point is that the current lack of allegations directed at St Kilda isn't because of presumed innocence, it's just because even if they did they were unsuccessful. To me that's the right action for the wrong reasons.

Agree with the other stuff you're saying.

There is a presumption of innocence not just because we were unsuccessful at that time, but because we have already been investigated as a part of the consequence of Carlton's salary cap infringements.

In 1997 we won the minor premiership and just lost the GF.

2 years later Waldron is employed by the club as General Manager of Football Operations. He arrived with an immaculate resume.

At this stage the club's on-field performance is in decline (the Watson era).

Late in 2001, after the Blight sacking, Waldron is appointed CEO of the club.

The club finished last in 2000, 15th in 2001 and 15th in 2002.

In 2003 we finished 11th as some of our recent recruits began to contribute on the field.

In 2004 we won the preseason comp and had the 10 match winning streak. Eventually we were narrowly defeated in the preliminary final by the premiers. Our kids were now recognised for their ability and performance.

Waldron departed St Kilda in late 2004.

I believe that we would not have had very many problems keeping payments under the cap prior to 2004 as our player list was filled with youth.

After the boys began to prove themselves they would be in a position to negotiate more significant contracts - most of this would have occurred in the latter part of 2004 or later.

In light of the Carlton salary cap breaches, all clubs have been investigated for similar breaches. I feel confident that these investigations were performed properly and that we had nothing to hide.

This is the weird bit, Spider mentioned how all his contract dealings with Waldron took place at a cafe or an external location to the club. Something that didn't happen at his other clubs.

Now that might just be the way Waldron preferred to do it but it's just a bit odd.

Waldron wasa serial "Cafe Meeter".

I work in Brighton and many lunchtimes if I walked past a few place like The Deck, Waldron would be ensconced in it talking to varous St Kilda Identities.

the 1999-04 is his total time at the club. not his CEO tenure.

IMO he was frustrated by his inability to "cook the books" in the afl and found himself a loophole at the nrl. He was most likely frustrated at the afl scrutiny at the saints and his plan was scuttled (minus the previously mentioned 05 breach) but resurrected in another code with less scrutiny.

The age is saying that "black, gehrig and hamill" came to the saints on good money. Well yes they did but what Caro conveniently forgets to mention is that we had a reason we could offer them good money (and that reason is we were sh!t).

And Waldron wasn't CEO when they came to the club, meaning that she's effectively implicating another CEO.

Funny that the media were critical of St Kilda during Grant Thomas' time at St Kilda as HE was managing player contracts. Now people (probably the same ones) think Waldron was doing it? Surely Molly Meldrum was involved too.

Squizzy is onto something. The man in the hat is the Storm's #1 ticket holder. Coincidence I say?

So what was the rumour when he left that no-one mentions that everyone knows EXCEPT ME.

I'd heard the Archie Fraser one, but not the Waldron. Maybe he and Molly got photographed in a compromising position?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back