Strategy Brisbane Lions Coaching and Staff Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that we are at our present position due to our own actions.Our recruitment/retention of players has been abysmal even given the handicap of location.I was as upset as anyone about the "Go Home 5 " but find it hard to believe that the Club is not at least partly to blame.
We are crying out for large bodied players particularly defenders.We could have had in our side on Saturday, Henderson , Patfull & Tippet ( Kurt) without lifting a finger.I know people will say Tippet is a spud but he is getting a game or close to at North.On reflection I would also have kept Jack Crisp who seemed to hit every target on Friday night despite the universal wisdom that his disposal is awful.Add at least some of the "Go Home 5 " and we would have been very competitive.

It seems to me that we are at our present position due to our own actions.Our recruitment/retention of players has been abysmal even given the handicap of location.I was as upset as anyone about the "Go Home 5 " but find it hard to believe that the Club is not at least partly to blame.
We are crying out for large bodied players particularly defenders.We could have had in our side on Saturday, Henderson , Patfull & Tippet ( Kurt) without lifting a finger.I know people will say Tippet is a spud but he is getting a game or close to at North.On reflection I would also have kept Jack Crisp who seemed to hit every target on Friday night despite the universal wisdom that his disposal is awful.Add at least some of the "Go Home 5 " and we would have been very competitive.
Are you talking about Kurt, Joel or both? Joel plays for North, and he isn't anything special. Kurt is extremely injury prone, and that fact that he didn't end up here is entirely Adelaide's fault.

Listening to Blacky's Coaches Wrap, geez there isn't one aspect of the game that we don't need to improve on. Glad it's them and not me. Hopefully when something clicks into place a lot of it will.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429599714.035767.jpg

Our injury list just keeps getting worse and worse. Maybe this is why Mayes has been out of form?

Beams, McGrath and possibly Mayes. Sheesh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies I meant Joel Tippett.As for Beams v Crisp , its not that simple.Its Crisp plus pick 5.However its more to do with a general philosophical outlook.I would prefer to develop players rather than cherry pick.I think the only time you do that is when you are close to or at the top a la Hawthorn and Sydney.At present we are not strong enough to support players such as Beams so they get dragged down rather than pulling up the rest.I feel we have wasted years but need to get back to basics and build a team from the bottom up.I see Beams and Christensen as answers to the wrong questions.As a Fitzroy man since 1960 I am well used to pain .

Last night Bomber Thompson was talking about coaching, and this is not a direct quote, just as I remember it roughly.. "a coach walks into a club, things go ok for the first year because things are fresh and exciting, and then things get hard in their second year and the industry's solution is to sack them, then someone else replaces them and the same cycle repeats, its just wrong, it takes time" - I thought of Leppa here.

I don't think any half reasonable person here is suggesting we sack him, but he deserves a red hot crack and some time, he has a plan in place, he stripped us back to bare bones when he took over and he is the right man for the job.

I don't see him ever coaching us to a top 4 position, he has started from far to back, but I can see him raising our stature ala Harvey at freo - then someone else will come in when we are ripe for the pickings.

Last night Bomber Thompson was talking about coaching, and this is not a direct quote, just as I remember it roughly.. "a coach walks into a club, things go ok for the first year because things are fresh and exciting, and then things get hard in their second year and the industry's solution is to sack them, then someone else replaces them and the same cycle repeats, its just wrong, it takes time" - I thought of Leppa here.

I don't think any half reasonable person here is suggesting we sack him, but he deserves a red hot crack and some time, he has a plan in place, he stripped us back to bare bones when he took over and he is the right man for the job.

I don't see him ever coaching us to a top 4 position, he has started from far to back, but I can see him raising our stature ala Harvey at freo - then someone else will come in when we are ripe for the pickings.

I definitely wouldn't suggest sacking him I'm more suggesting that he has done a poor job as coach. Mostly to do with the rebuilding direction that the club has decided to undertake. Leppa is partly responsible for this but I'd say Dean Warren is also responsible.

It's very difficult to know exactly what the coach does but I'm confident in saying the transition to the new gameplan has so far been a disaster and the playing the kids theory has severely damaged our culture. It is now crucial that the club looks to reverse the damage as well as put in place a plan to improve the areas we are severly lacking in ie; fitness and player development.

All I know is that I am sick to death of our seasons being over in the first few rounds due to injuries.

Our season isn't over because of injuries. Our season is over because our players don't seem to put any effort in... Look at a team like Western Bulldogs, they lost a lot of key personnel last season and then Liberatore at the beginning of this year. However, unlike us, they give it a red hot crack every game and have managed to be competitive.

Our season isn't over because of injuries. Our season is over because our players don't seem to put any effort in... Look at a team like Western Bulldogs, they lost a lot of key personnel last season and then Liberatore at the beginning of this year. However, unlike us, they give it a red hot crack every game and have managed to be competitive.

CRAP! - Who? When? Generalizing to make a point? Understand the hurt and had enough of winning only single figure numbers of games a year AND the 10 goal plus losses but that's a cop out.

CRAP! - Who? When? Generalizing to make a point? Understand the hurt and had enough of winning only single figure numbers of games a year AND the 10 goal plus losses but that's a cop out.

Obviously the boys do put effort in, it was hyperbole to make a point. There certainly does seem to be a lack of backwards running and general intensity among some players in the team though.

The bulldogs also got a big key forward who has straightened them up and have a pretty reasonable group of young players generally one more year advanced than ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were only missing Hanley and possibly Harwood from our best 22 in round 1(Close omitted because it was wet?) and that was a pretty ordinary effort. Sure we got within 12 points once the pies fell asleep.
Can't really blame injuries when we started in a similar vain as what we have produced in the following 2 rounds.

We were only missing Hanley and possibly Harwood from our best 22 in round 1(Close omitted because it was wet?) and that was a pretty ordinary effort. Sure we got within 12 points once the pies fell asleep.
Can't really blame injuries when we started in a similar vain as what we have produced in the following 2 rounds.
Yep,
To me you could go further and say Leppa gave the team too much credit with that semi come back against the pies.
and for him to say last year we would of lost it by 100pts is absolute rubbish.
He should of told the truth and that was as you say they fell asleep, if they were a top side or even in better form, they would of beat us by that 100 imo.

Yep,
To me you could go further and say Leppa gave the team too much credit with that semi come back against the pies.
and for him to say last year we would of lost it by 100pts is absolute rubbish.
He should of told the truth and that was as you say they fell asleep, if they were a top side or even in better form, they would of beat us by that 100 imo.
You think Leppa should be telling the media/footy public what he would be keeping for the players behind closed doors?

Yes, a lot of what is bantered about in public IS rubbish and the seagulls have been getting fatter every year. ;)

You'd rather Crisp than Beams? I can't subscribe to that
AT where our team was last year and at present in regards to a big bodied midfielders or a lack of them, I would rather Crisp than Aish any day of the week.
I am not saying Crisp is a better AFL player than Crisp , but for our team that still struggles without a good extractor at the stoppages, Crisp any day thank you very much.
Could prove to be the biggest lost with players leaving in recent times including the go home 5.
And it is not hindsight by my part I noticed Crisp in the twos at a curtain raiser before he came back into the 1's, and had to look twice who he was.
Brilliant at the stoppages. He stood out as that required big strong inside outside mid . Certainly strong enough for the seniors.
He came back in the senior team and killed it imo.
At this stage who else resembles someone like that and the only player to me is young Nick R. who is probably 2 years or so behind Crisp.
Lets hope he gets back in the team when fit asap .

To put it simply I would of thought the Coaches would have had Crisp as a required player for us .
Should not of been part of that deal imo.

AT where our team was last year and at present in regards to a big bodied midfielders or a lack of them, I would rather Crisp than Aish any day of the week.
I am not saying Crisp is a better AFL player than Crisp , but for our team that still struggles without a good extractor at the stoppages, Crisp any day thank you very much.
Could prove to be the biggest lost with players leaving in recent times including the go home 5.
And it is not hindsight by my part I noticed Crisp in the twos at a curtain raiser before he came back into the 1's, and had to look twice who he was.
Brilliant at the stoppages. He stood out as that required big strong inside outside mid . Certainly strong enough for the seniors.
At this stage who else resembles someone like that and the only player to me is young Nick R. who is probably 2 years or so behind Crisp.

To put it simply I would of thought the Coaches would have had Crisp as a required player for us .
You can rather Crisp than Aish all you like, but that was never the deal. (It may have been mooted on media and in forums, but it wasn't the deal) The deal was Crisp and a pick for Beams. To have kept Crisp, we don't get Beams. So the question is Beams or Crisp - I'm taking Beams. Every day of every week

Crisp wanted to return to Melbourne, wouldn't have signed with us again even if Beams wasn't part of the equation.

That's a pretty big call!
Crisp is a solid player, but let's not pretend he's a star in the making. He hadn't re-signed anyway, and I'm not sure he'd be best 22 in our current side if everyone was fit. Crisp being traded to Collingwood was a good move for all three parties. We got something for a player who hadn't re-signed and may have been looking to move to a team more likely to give him regular games. Better than losing him for nothing.

I don't know if this is the place to post this, but I suppose fitness is part of coaching.

I know this has been a topic people have been banging on about for several months, but this week is the final straw for me.

Brett Burton is a great bloke and he apparently is pretty much another assistant coach (which is why the club keep him on) but lets face it - we have been wrecked by injury every year since he arrived at the club. we also haven't put on any meaningful size, or been in anyway shape or form, known for our fitness.

regardless of what ever reasons we have to keep him at the club, it is time to find a new fitness staff, he has failed to keep our players on the park for 4 years - I am over it.

Goodbye Brett.

Crisp wanted to return to Melbourne, wouldn't have signed with us again even if Beams wasn't part of the equation.
I thought Crisp's approach to the club was like Patfulls, in that he was happy to stay but would also be happy for a trade.
That's how I remembered it , pretty sure there was no demands to trade from Crisp, that was my take on it.
Who really knows what was said behind closed doors though it might of been a case where he really wanted to go, in that case the best deal was done.

I don't know if this is the place to post this, but I suppose fitness is part of coaching.

I know this has been a topic people have been banging on about for several months, but this week is the final straw for me.

Brett Burton is a great bloke and he apparently is pretty much another assistant coach (which is why the club keep him on) but lets face it - we have been wrecked by injury every year since he arrived at the club. we also haven't put on any meaningful size, or been in anyway shape or form, known for our fitness.

regardless of what ever reasons we have to keep him at the club, it is time to find a new fitness staff, he has failed to keep our players on the park for 4 years - I am over it.

Goodbye Brett.

Yeah, every other club also has an injured players list so let's blame Brett for that too! :drunk:

We do often forget that pretty much all AFL clubs have a fair injury list. It just depends whether the injured player is integral to the team (one of the stars etc) as to how much it bothers that club's fans.

Yeah, we've got a couple of stars out ... but compare the injury lists of all other clubs before determining whether our fitness coach is to blame for players getting injured. Especially an injury like Claye's!

Yeah, every other club also has an injured players list so let's blame Brett for that too! :drunk:

Our injuries have been particularly bad for the last 3 years, I am not sure that fact is up for debate. It is a re-occurring theme, yes - other teams have injuries too, if there injuries have been as bad as ours, for as long - I would also suggest they look at their fitness staff too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back