Brisbane Lions reveal their new Guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course they don't resent it.

Why would they?

The reason I question Brisbane's marketing is because of it's ultimate negative impact on the rest of the league. The return on investment so far has been dismal and a repeat of that sort of investment over the next decade should have people asking questions. If clubs in developing markets can only be viable with ultimate on field success too, even after decades of being in that market, then we know we're destined for more competition rigging from the AFL to make it happen.

I don't have a problem with the jumper as such, I have a problem with an administration that seems utterly clueless on how to market Brisbane in Brisbane beyond restoring a jumper and floating stupid ideas about live lions on matchday.

I'm sorry, but the current administration has been in place for less than a year and Swann himself a matter of months. I'd say they so far have done an incredible job in raising our profile and generating interest in our club especially when our position at this exact time last year is taken into account and it's exciting times ahead for us as they continue to work at building our club back to our former glory.

The current administration is the best thing that has happened to the club in years, the best we've had probably for at least decade and it's just ludicrous to suggest otherwise not to mention the old saying of don't throw stones in glass houses.

Last edited:
The former Lions administration spent serious dollars on "marketing" the Paddlepop - the usual clap trap of focus groups, brand designers, launches, yada yada. And the result was 5 yrs of negativity. And less members rather than more.

That money and energy could have been well spent on "marketing" the Lions in the positive.

The Paddlepop should go down in AFL history as one of the great longer term club marketing failures. Rather than a one-game jumper like the baby blue Carlton M&M or the (slightly longer term) St Kilda yellow Pura Milk jumper, it was persisted with for 5 yrs (it seems 12 mths too long due to contractual obligations in being unable to change the jumper in 2014) - even though the negativity in relation to it was there at day one, and stayed that way for the entire journey.

Those involved in it should never ever be let near an AFL club again.

Yes, the AFL do, and it's pretty clear that they realise that success is everything in terms of building a football supporter base, from the COLA to the ridiculous draft concessions to the academies. The AFL has undoubtedly left Brisbane behind compared to the other northern sides, but the AFL knows quite well that the way to make them popular is to make them win.

Brisbane averaged 10000-15000 more to home games during their successful years, and have dropped away since they've dropped down the ladder like any club would, but it was a very silly move to get rid of a guernsey that had so much currency with supporters for a shiny new toy to appeal to the kids at the same time as they were falling down the ladder.

Brisbane supporters don't resent Fitzroy or the Victorian connection. If they did, the threepeat quickly put that to bed.

You seem to be arguing that Brisbane are sacrificing their chances of attracting more QLD based fans by pandering to Victorian based fans. I really, really don't see what you mean by that. The home guernsey is well and truly a Brisbane guernsey by now. The lion is popular amongst Brisbane supporters. It's only a purely Fitzroy thing in a historical sense.

It wasn't campaigning from Fitzroy that brought the old lion back, it was Brisbane die hards who weren't happy with the way their club was heading marketingwise and started a campaign about it. It's not much different to what West Coast supporters are doing with the #returnthewings campaign. The supporters want a guernsey that they identify with and that they were successful with. They want something that represents them.

Brisbane are never going to attract a lot of fans while they are down the bottom of the ladder. It doesn't happen. What they need to be doing is shoring up their existing supporter base and trying to cash back in on new supporters the next time they rise up the ladder.
Incredible post.

There's a school of thought that says the club changes from a classic jumper as it enters a poorer era, just so the classic jumper is associated with successful periods.

Massive improvement, one of the best in the league now.

Gold Coast now has the worst jumper in the league BY FAR.

GWS jumper design is decent, they just needs to ditch the pastel colours for something more bold.

West Coast jumper needs some work too :$

Last edited:
Melbourne_United_Logo.jpg
Need to bring back the Eastside Melbourne Spectres
EasideMelbourneSpectresLogo.jpg

Massive improvement, one of the best in the league now.

Gold Coast now has the worst jumper in the league BY FAR.

GWS jumper design is decent, they just needs to ditch the pastel colours for something more bold.

West Coast jumper needs some work too :$
GC would be fine if they ditched the weird logo from the middle of it.

GWS should have just been orange and black.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woolly thinking. The attempt to market the club to supposedly compete with the new shiny Gold Coast was muddled at best. The one advantage over Gold Coast that Brisbane had was its links to the 2001-03 premiership jumper as well as the significant Melbourne support base. They somehow diluted both links, as well as alienated their merger partner, who had to take them to court. It was all so unnecessary.

Two reasons
1. Less success
2. Gold Coast

Doesn't appear to me too much difference in terms of jumpers then and now.

South Melbourne...

South-1977.gif

to Sydney..

Sydney-2013.gif

Fitzroy

Fitzroy-1995.gif

to Brisbane Lions

Brisbane-1997.gif

So somehow Brisbane is Fitzroy playing in Brisbane but Sydney isn't South Melbourne playing in Sydney? Please.
You need to update your avatar to include the change to the paddle-pop and back. Go on, you know you want to.

I don't need to do anything of the sort.

If I wanted to, it would have been done sometime in the last five years.
If you ever want a higher quality one then there's this that I made:

BBFFC_zpsdc6a8bd6.gif

Never understood the comparison to the Paddle Pop Lion though. Looks nothing like the bloke.

who knows how people come up with s**t in the AFL. for example, how do navy blue and black 'clash?' they don't clash at all. they are similar. one idiot in the media or at the AFL uses a term and the sheep flock to it like flies to s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back