Brisbane Offseason 2013 - Exodus Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this thread needs more discussion about Matthew Wright for Polec.[/quote

Agreed, i think the deal should have already been done. I think M. Wright doesnt want to come. i would be really happy to get Lyons as well and we throw in a pick

Kinda funny how West Coast supporters talk about how unfair the Ebert trade was yet they are now using it as a benchmark for fairness when the shoe is on the other foot.
Our board is smothered with whingers right now. The vast majority are utterly clueless.

Usually goes like this: 'Why the **** aren't we looking at players like every other club, we're so ****en conservative'.

When they hear Bootsma and Xavier Ellis are being spoken about: 'Why the **** are we talking to these spuds.??!!! Sack Worsfold, sack recruiting department, sack Sumich, sack Nisbett, sack Daniher, sack boys club, sack yes men etc.

Kinda funny how West Coast supporters talk about how unfair the Ebert trade was yet they are now using it as a benchmark for fairness when the shoe is on the other foot.
It is more a comparison of situations, ie when a player nominates a particular club (in a two club state) and they are out of contract the receiving club usually has the upper hand.

Port did in the Ebert case and we were fuming at the time but have mostly moved on from it. However when you then get Port supporters telling us it was fair and having an opinion about what we should be giving for Yeo (which is none of their business) it gets a bit much to stomach.

I don't want to screw Brisbane. I just want my club to do the best it can. If that means getting Yeo for 40 that is what I want them to do. The same as you want your club to do the best it can out of the situation, which is probably getting pick 24.

I don't want to screw Brisbane. I just want my club to do the best it can. If that means getting Yeo for 40 that is what I want them to do. The same as you want your club to do the best it can out of the situation, which is probably getting pick 24.

I can't see Brisbane accepting just Pick 40 for a couple of reasons.

1. Fremantle, if they're truly interested in Yeo can trump that with Pick 33. In my view that's not good enough either, but IF it comes to the crunch, Brisbane will naturally take the better offer.

2. Yeo, by all reports, is not dissatisfied with Brisbane and his recent desire to return home, is just that...very recent. If a suitable deal can't be struck with a WA club, the Lions, who are very keen to retain him, would be backing themselves to try and persuade Yeo to re-sign with them on a one or two year deal with a commitment to try again for a trade at the end of that contract. That's higher risk of course, but it's also a higher risk for Yeo and West Coast. And if West Coast did manage to secure Yeo via the PSD, well...clubs have long memories.

Yoe is seeking a move to WC. WC have not identified Yoe as a a key gap filler in their list. Thus while he may be useful there is no reason for WC to offer a significant trade to Brisbane.

I am sure WC will not lose sleep if Yoe stays put of goes elsewhere .

I can't see Brisbane accepting just Pick 40 for a couple of reasons.

1. Fremantle, if they're truly interested in Yeo can trump that with Pick 33. In my view that's not good enough either, but IF it comes to the crunch, Brisbane will naturally take the better offer.

2. Yeo, by all reports, is not dissatisfied with Brisbane and his recent desire to return home, is just that...very recent. If a suitable deal can't be struck with a WA club, the Lions, who are very keen to retain him, would be backing themselves to try and persuade Yeo to re-sign with them on a one or two year deal with a commitment to try again for a trade at the end of that contract. That's higher risk of course, but it's also a higher risk for Yeo and West Coast. And if West Coast did manage to secure Yeo via the PSD, well...clubs have long memories.

We're hearing it's only recent but why didn't he sign a new contract during the year? Got to be more to it than that.

Yoe is seeking a move to WC. WC have not identified Yoe as a a key gap filler in their list. Thus while he may be useful there is no reason for WC to offer a significant trade to Brisbane.

So why did WC pre-emptively offer Yeo a three year contract? Your club's actions doesn't line up with your claims.

If that is the case, wouldnt it be smarter to open your self up to ALL clubs, thus if any club is interested and bids for him, he knows he will be given an opportunity there or else why would they be interested in him in the first place?

Absolutely, I'm not disputing that and if I was moving from an interstate team to Melbourne then I wouldn't nominate. You would wait and see who would offer the best deal to you and your club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see Brisbane accepting pick 40. It wouldn't make sense from their perspective.

Would it also be reasonable to conclude that Brisbane won't accept 45 from Collingwood for Karnezis? Or would Brisbane perhaps be resigned to getting nothing of value for him, and potentially help him get to his preferred destination. So PSD is most likely?

If any Lions fans can be bothered, I'd be interested in what draft picks you would use assuming (just assumptions, not saying it would happen):
- Polec for a player
- Docherty for 28
- Longer to stay at Lions
- Karnezis to PSD
- McGuane for free
- Yeo for 24

This would leave you with 7, 24, 25, 28, 41 etc.

You would have lost x number of players (the five I mentioned + ?)

You would have already committed to bringing in x players via upgrades and prior bidding processes, in addition to the two via trade and free agency.

This would leave you with x live picks in the draft.

Cheers for any help, greatly appreciated. :thumbsu:

jimmy Toumpas is only averaging 12 disposals so I guess he is only worth pick 30?

He averaged 12? Better than the 1 disposal he got against us this year before being subbed. Based on that game he would be a rookie prospect at best!!

Of course not, they offer 3 year deals because they don't see any potential whatsoever.

It's Yeo BTW.

Port did in the Ebert case and we were fuming at the time but have mostly moved on from it. However when you then get Port supporters telling us it was fair and having an opinion about what we should be giving for Yeo (which is none of their business) it gets a bit much to stomach.

There's a difference between 'fair' and 'best we can offer'. I know you like to live in a bubble where West Coast are the only team in the competition and no other club has any extenuating circumstances preventing them from giving West Coast exactly what they deserve, but we didn't have the means to offer the mid-20's pick that would've been a fair trade. West Coast do have that pick, but they're refusing to offer it (and apparently offering it to that spud Bootsma instead, which makes it even worse). That's the difference.

Is there any idea of when the Polec deal might be sorted out?

Apparently it is the main reason why the Doc trade to Carlton isn't official yet.

You would have already committed to bringing in x players via upgrades and prior bidding processes, in addition to the two via trade and free agency.

Based on your trades suggested:

In: player for Polec, McGuane (FA), pick 7, 24, 25, 28, 41, 59 (Jonathan Freeman)
Out: Polec, Docherty, Karnezis, Yeo, McKeever (delisted)

So that's currently 8 out and 5 in. But there's still questions around whether Black will play on, and I'm sure we're not done with the delisting either.

Is there any idea of when the Polec deal might be sorted out?

Apparently it is the main reason why the Doc trade to Carlton isn't official yet.

If the papers are to be believed, it's because Adelaide is still trying to convince Wright to move to Brisbane. With the Docherty trade, there's no real rush to get it done. Carlton aren't going to suddenly pull out interest, and it a very, very small chance he may decide his open to other teams. For Brisbane, I don't think pick 28 or 29 are suddenly going to disappear off the table either.

I can't see Brisbane accepting pick 40. It wouldn't make sense from their perspective.

Would it also be reasonable to conclude that Brisbane won't accept 45 from Collingwood for Karnezis? Or would Brisbane perhaps be resigned to getting nothing of value for him, and potentially help him get to his preferred destination. So PSD is most likely?

If any Lions fans can be bothered, I'd be interested in what draft picks you would use assuming (just assumptions, not saying it would happen):
- Polec for a player
- Docherty for 28
- Longer to stay at Lions
- Karnezis to PSD
- McGuane for free
- Yeo for 24

This is about where my thinking is at the moment, I think you've summed it up really well.

The issue for us is that 24 becomes 26, 25 (27) and 28 (30). Are the Lions going to be happy taking those picks for some of the high end talent with potential that we've drafted in in the previous years? We need to at least get another pick in the 1st round but I don't see where we would be able to get one from just yet.

Toumpas has no worth to any other club other than Melbourne at the moment.
Theyve spent the pick, nobody is going to give them something on potential, because he hasnt shown anything yet. If I were the Dees I'd persist with him, because I mean hes worth like pick 40+ now, now if he shows nothing hes worth nothing, but he's much more likely to increase in value than decrease.

Polec is meeting with 2 Melbourne clubs this week.

Toumpas has no worth to any other club other than Melbourne at the moment.
Theyve spent the pick, nobody is going to give them something on potential, because he hasnt shown anything yet. If I were the Dees I'd persist with him, because I mean hes worth like pick 40+ now, now if he shows nothing hes worth nothing, but he's much more likely to increase in value than decrease.

I think we were all being facetious about his disposal average.

If you think he's worth a pick in the 40's then what is Polec worth?

Toumpas will increase in value. Sam Docherty had the same hip injury with the same surgery and the Lions didn't play him in his first year in the AFL but the Dees needed to and did. Docherty played a fair few games this year but some did question if he was worthy of pick 12. By the looks of the injury and the apparent lack of core strength and fitness that Toumpas showed this year then I have no doubt it takes at lest a year or more to get over the surgery and build up that strength again.

Toumpas has the talent, it'll take until either this or next year to shine through. He has the work ethic, unlike a former pick 5 in the 2010 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back