Brisbane to ask for priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
why should the lions get rewarded for bad drafting an trading? last year alone they had a chance (like carlton) to draft in a great kid at pick 5, an a soild player at 25..
they will get a good pick for aish so could have three picks inside 25, that's handy as...
Hrmmm, the dumb bastards settled for an elite player that will win our b+f by a mile, who desperately wanted to come home. What the club needed instead was to roll the dice on yet another couple of kids.

Quality logic. :thumbsu:

Tigers also did pretty well in getting funds to assist the development of Punt Road Oval.

So maybe you should tone down your 'get your house in order' stance.

Over time all clubs need some form of assistance from the AFL.....unfortunately the threepeat has tainted people's perception of what assistance the Lions should receive now.

It is very challenging running a club with a small supporter base in a non AFL market that is an NRL stronghold.

Yes it's challenging. My objection is chiefly directed at supporters saying "it's too hard".

Hrmmm, the dumb bastards settled for an elite player that will win our b+f by a mile, who desperately wanted to come home. What the club needed instead was to roll the dice on yet another couple of kids.

Quality logic. :thumbsu:

You just made the case against getting a priority pick. Beams and throw in Christensen and you couldn't have drafted anywhere near these last year.

Get Dixon and you will win enough next year. Let's not get carried away based on this year.

You just made the case against getting a priority pick. Beams and throw in Christensen and you couldn't have drafted anywhere near these last year.
Only if you haven't been reading the thread. This year a unique confluence of events means there are a couple of high draft picks from interstate who actually want to come to the club as well as a couple of quality academy kids who could all help combat the go home factor.

Haha, can't even begin to describe the stupidity of the thread's purpose.

Which other club has had numerous first round draft picks walk out due to homesickness? With Aish set to leave this year as well, how are you actually meant to develop a list to contend for finals and build towards something? How often do the Lions get Friday night games? When was the last time you saw the Lions in the top 8? If Melbourne got one for simply admitting to tanking and getting looked after as it's a 'foundation club', I don't see why the Lions wouldn't get one this year after years of draft picks crying home to mummy.

Also, what a s**t article.

No direct quotes on Leuneberger, except some newly found interest from Geelong and Essendon.

Oh yeah, he's from South Australia, better name one of the clubs to try and link him up. We already have a link between Adelaide and Aish, so let's give some love to Port. And as for Rich, I will be very surprised if he decides to leave at the end of next year.

And from our board, pretty much echos my thoughts on this situation.

So if Brisbane get a priority pick it encourages more to leave like the boat people?

:rolleyes: to you too.

What about Beams? What about Christensen? Maybe I'll even include Stef Martin and Mitch Robinson...

My point is that we haven't lost that much talent, but we've brought plenty of it in. Of the players we have lost, most have been to due to lack of opportunity rather than homesickness. Why do disproportionately more players want to leave Brisbane?

West Coast have a lot more money to put into their welfare department. They also have a lot more pull with local businesses to organize third party deals.

E.g. Elliot Yeo spends two years at the Lions without a lot of support from the club due to the underfunding of our welfare department by a club that is broke and a bit naïve to the importance of better supporting the young draftees. Along comes West Coast offers him a big fat deal to go home and be able to play with his mates. On top of the massive par cheque they can offer him massive perks like receiving a car on his first day at the club, something that the Lions couldn't match. They also flaunt their better training facilities and better funded development team. Yeo is also quite socially awkward and not very good at making new friendships so he doesn't feel emotionally attached to the Lions playing group.

That is how 'homesickness' works.

Gaff, Shuey, Brown, Selwood, Rosa, Hurn, Butler, Lycett, Schofield all on our list at least 5 seasons.

2014 draft picked Duggan, Lamb, Cavka, Nelson out of TAC Cup.

Ellis brought in as a FA, Sinclair moved to the WAFL to further his career then was picked from there.

Koby Stevens - could only manage 11 games in 3 seasons, requested trade home for more opportunity
Brad Ebert - played 76 games in 4 years, couldn't get midfield minutes, requested trade home to play in position plus the obvious Port connection
Chris Judd - played 134 games, captained the club to a flag, won every individual accolade then wanted to go home for bags of Visy caaaaashhhhh
Ben McKinley - traded cheaply to North for more opportunity
Brent Staker - played 110 games, traded to Queensland for more opportunity
Lewis Stevenson, Mark Seaby, Mitch Morton, Andrew McDougall - WA players traded for more opportunity

How many players have we lost to homesickness? Or does it only apply to Brisbane?
How many have you gained though?

My point since day one is that when Brisbane lose players we don't have the local talent to rely on to fill our list.

Similarly, the percentage of home grown players on WC or any Vic, SA or WA club vs. Lions is incomparably different. Not even sure why you would bother arguing that to be honest, it's not even up for debate. Hence, MORE players from these clubs never have to leave their own state, resulting in less homesickness for many clubs.

Further, when you do lose players you have the opportunity to entice home grown players back to WA (Cripps, Yeo, Wellingham all handy editions) or have options at the top end of the draft (Naitanui, Sheed etc.). Gold Coast also got free reign of the local talent for two drafts which limited us further - (Dixon and Zac Smith not even available for us to draft amosngst others).

We could go tit-for-tat on this as we have a huge percentage of our list from outside QLD who have also re-signed over the years, much more than the feeble list you have put together above. Difference is we cannot supplement this with local talent as I have displayed to offset the player losses from homesickness.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are far more interstate players in Vic than there are in QLD. How many 'go home'?

Brisbane lost 5? Surely if that was the only problem, all clubs with at least 20% interstate players (which would be all of them) would lose 1, right? (it'd be less than 20%, because Brisbane isn't 100% interstate) Indeed, you'd be pretty confident that all teams would lose 2 or more! Tell me, are there 20+ players leaving Vic in the same period? Why is Brisbane losing so many more than anyone else in relative terms?
Unbelieavbly strange logic. Didn't realise there is a perfectly linear relationship between being a non-vic team and players leaving - nobody is arguing that either. You'd have to be pretty pig-headed not to see that it is harder to retain players in a non-traditional state though...I will leave it there.

2014: Beams
2013: Gumbleton
2012: Monfries, Wellingham, Cale Morton, Jamie Cripps
2011: Josh Hill
2010: Jacobs

I count 7 between 10 teams across 5 seasons, and including Gumbleton, Morton and Hill is very dubious.

Apparently 'football state vs non football state' ends that argument, though.
Local starting 22 players* on WC's list:

LeCras
Sheed
Sheppard
Yeo
Masten
Naitanui
Priddis
Wellingham
Cripps
Kennedy
McGovern
Mackenzie
Darling
Josh Hill

Plus Bennell, Ellis and Sinclar all locally drafted and another few on your list I haven't included as I don't recognise their names.

Brisbanes:
Beams x2
Zorko
Merrett
Andrews

Plus Freeman and Dawson who are fringe 22.

They don't get homesick because they are already home. Please, tell me again how you don't have an advatage.

*don't know if all are first 22 but certainly all decent players.

Absolutely no to a priority pick. Sure they lost some players but they have also done well in recruiting. Clubs need to be responsible for their actions. Look at how far teams like Hawthorn and the Bulldogs have come.

Absolutely no to a priority pick. Sure they lost some players but they have also done well in recruiting. Clubs need to be responsible for their actions. Look at how far teams like Hawthorn and the Bulldogs have come.
Both have received priority picks in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unbelieavbly strange logic. Didn't realise there is a perfectly linear relationship between being a non-vic team and players leaving - nobody is arguing that either. You'd have to be pretty pig-headed not to see that it is harder to retain players in a non-traditional state though...I will leave it there.

Why?

Surely homesickness applies fairly equally to those who are away from their homes.

Why does someone from Perth feel less homesick just because they play football in SA?

I'm sure plenty of players prefer the lower profile of being in a non-traditional state, after all, that profile is a common complaint among footballers here, and I seem to recall Buddy making comments about how it was part of the reason for his move to Sydney.

Strangely enough I'm not against giving Brisbane a priority pick. Brisbane have been aids for a while now. Their supporters like to talk a big game, but in reality their team is crap.

http://www.news.com.au/national/bri...-threadbare-list/story-e6frfkp9-1227451366387

if the Demons couldn't get one last year or the year before, there is no way the Lions should.

But the AFL do like to hand undeserved gifts to non-Vic teams so Im sure their hypocrisy will shine through as always

Ten years ago Brisbane was being celebrated as one of the greatest teams ever - 3 premierships in succession, 4 GF appearances. They have squandered opportunities since then, recruiting the likes of Fevola and appointing an inexperienced coach, albeit a favourite son.

As others have pointed out, last year they raided other clubs to create what, on paper, was arguably one of the best midfields.

They do NOT deserve a priority pick, but Gillon has proved to be such a weak CEO that my money is on Brisbane getting what it wants.

Why?

Surely homesickness applies fairly equally to those who are away from their homes.

Why does someone from Perth feel less homesick just because they play football in SA?

I'm sure plenty of players prefer the lower profile of being in a non-traditional state, after all, that profile is a common complaint among footballers here, and I seem to recall Buddy making comments about how it was part of the reason for his move to Sydney.
I've mentioned before that ability to pick up girls is a surprisingly large factor for teenage draftees.

I've mentioned before that ability to pick up girls is a surprisingly large factor for teenage draftees.

So Brisbane loses significantly more players because players don't score with women quite as easily? (I'm sure they still do quite well, after all, they tend to be tall, fit and well paid).

I dare say that's quite a small factor.

So Brisbane loses significantly more players because players don't score with women quite as easily? (I'm sure they still do quite well, after all, they tend to be tall, fit and well paid).

I dare say that's quite a small factor.
Again, see Lethal's quote.

Fawned over and idolised vs having to work for it. You'd be surprised.

Leppa's presser today was embarrassing.

'If we win the last 6 games they'll (AFL) definitely say no (to a PP), won't they? If we lose the last 6 they'll probably say yes, who knows.'

Pretty sure we know the Lions think they need to lose now to get a PP. And they want a PP don't they? So put 2 and 2 together - and you pretty much get an admission that they see no reason to win another game this year.

Just give us a couple of priority picks so we can grab a Deledio and a Rance equivalent, then we can make a grand, noble gesture of refusing further assistance because we prefer to "do it the hard way".

When a player's family and friends are interstate, moving as a teenager to another city knowing very few can be a daunting task, I can empathise with them as in my younger years for work I had to do a lot of travel and spent a lot of time away. With the Dogs in recent times we had Josh Hill want to go backhome to WA and Jarrod Harbrow reunite with his family in QLD. I see nothing wrong with that.

In terms of Brisbane receiving a priority draft pick, I don't agree with that. Clubs need to learn from their drafting errors like the majority and stop requesting assistance with unbalancing the draft when things go wrong.

Leppa's presser today was embarrassing.

'If we win the last 6 games they'll (AFL) definitely say no (to a PP), won't they? If we lose the last 6 they'll probably say yes, who knows.'

Pretty sure we know the Lions think they need to lose now to get a PP. And they want a PP don't they? So put 2 and 2 together - and you pretty much get an admission that they see no reason to win another game this year.

You think if we were planning to tank, we would actually say so?

His comment was a direct response to a question on whether he thinks we will get one.

Jesus, think.

As if we need to tank anyway. We are that far off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back