Autopsy Brisbane v Collingwood at Maroochydore Multi-Sports Complex, 5.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't agree, I think it her decision making and execution that lets her down.

well it's a bit like how long is a piece of string.... i think that almost everyone in the team is demonstrating poor decision making and execution. When Chiochi has time, I think she's better than most of the team. I think sarah rowe is a bit the same. She is struggling with the pressure. I watched a bit of the demons gold coast game and there were 180 tackles in the game. It seems to be the key factor of this season.

well it's a bit like how long is a piece of string.... i think that almost everyone in the team is demonstrating poor decision making and execution. When Chiochi has time, I think she's better than most of the team. I think sarah rowe is a bit the same. She is struggling with the pressure. I watched a bit of the demons gold coast game and there were 180 tackles in the game. It seems to be the key factor of this season.
I will just agree to disagree re Chiocci.

We are sadly lacking in the tackle area as we have one player in the top 10 in the league, Bonnicci with 35. Our next best is Lambert with 22.

Not sure why we dropped O'Dea as she applies pressure and tackles. I also think we are also lacking in speed and with Joanna Lim missing.

At the end of the season, we need to make some serious decisions with the trio I mentioned previously.

I will just agree to disagree re Chiocci.

We are sadly lacking in the tackle area as we have one player in the top 10 in the league, Bonnicci with 35. Our next best is Lambert with 22.

Not sure why we dropped O'Dea as she applies pressure and tackles. I also think we are also lacking in speed and with Joanna Lim missing.

At the end of the season, we need to make some serious decisions with the trio I mentioned previously.

we dont seem to have a lot of those mid-sized athletic body shapes with speed and running ability.....when i think of freo and brisbane players, i think of these all rounders, who do all facets of the game. We seem to have players who dont run much, or who are outside players and dont tackle too much, or tallish players who dont have much involvement outside marking contests and rucking. Tackling and pressure is a key one. If you're doing 90 tackles as a team, there has to be a lot of players tackling. We just seem to have gone down a path of particular body types and skill sets and i look at freo and bris and just see a swarm. Anyway next week might involve less pressure
final go with chiocci, i think it's time to retire so i'm not disagreeing with you....

Tough game to watch. I think we’re really missing Davey. We seem to lack pace, especially with Lim out and Brown struggling, but Davey gave us greater drive from the clearances than any of our other mids. Either directly or through body work freeing up others.

Other than that, we’re “almost”. We almost hit the target with the disposal, or link our possession chains cleanly, we almost get the footy into good scoring opportunities, we almost stop the opposition offensive moves, specific players are almost delivering as you’d expect.

I think it’ll turn pretty quickly. Obviously we’ll need to learn how to cope without Davey and now Braz. No easy feat.

PS: great game by Velardo

I would love to know how many clangers Chiocco makes. She tries so hard and gets the ball only for it to go to the opposition or nowhere.

Steph not done much this Season

Played as curtain raisers you'd get crowds
IF they play at the Same Time of Year that would be the only Good Thing they can do as People might come Earlier to see the Girls Game End

I was thinking more along the lines that with the rest of the teams coming in next year why not give them

a full 17 week season plus finals and work it that their Grand Final is played on the bye round before the mens finals

One of the issues with a full, or 17 week season, is the remuneration. With the current limited season plus the pre-season, the vast majority of girls earn less than $30k. Outside of footy, and for the rest of the year, they have to work to earn a living. A full season would make the ‘outside’ work nearly impossible. So their wages would have to be significantly increased to facilitate a full season.

But I expect it will happen eventually.

Last edited:
I think the AFL likes the coverage of footy during this time of the year. The other thing that I think the women would want to preserve with a separatedness from the men, is the atmosphere of the crowds. Although things have become increasingly more family at men's games, it doesnt approach the type of atmosphere that appears to be present at the women's games - and i'm judging that purely from watching on tv.

Going back to the reason that sparked the call for alignment with the mens' game....that the game was unwatchable. It is true that we were pitiful. The wind didnt help. However, I watched a bit of the melb game and it was skilful and watchable. Some of the kicking and movement from end to end wasn't much different from a man's game.

I think the AFL likes the coverage of footy during this time of the year. The other thing that I think the women would want to preserve with a separatedness from the men, is the atmosphere of the crowds. Although things have become increasingly more family at men's games, it doesnt approach the type of atmosphere that appears to be present at the women's games - and i'm judging that purely from watching on tv.

Going back to the reason that sparked the call for alignment with the mens' game....that the game was unwatchable. It is true that we were pitiful. The wind didnt help. However, I watched a bit of the melb game and it was skilful and watchable. Some of the kicking and movement from end to end wasn't much different from a man's game.

Some of the footy we played last year was very watchable- skilful and exciting.

Not so much this year.

More broadly, the quality of AFLW football has improved year on year.

Re keeping the women’s footy separate from the men’s, I don’t have a view either way. But your point about maintaining the atmosphere of the women’s games and the fan makeup is a good one. But it’s also the case that I see more men and groups of young guys at AFLW games than was the case in the first couple of years, when girls dominated the crowds. I put this down to footy fans enjoying good exciting footy regardless of gender, in the two months before the men’s season starts. Which is all good.

Some of the footy we played last year was very watchable- skilful and exciting.

Not so much this year.

More broadly, the quality of AFLW football has improved year on year.

Re keeping the women’s footy separate from the men’s, I don’t have a view either way. But your point about maintaining the atmosphere of the women’s games and the fan makeup is a good one. But it’s also the case that I see more men and groups of young guys at AFLW games than was the case in the first couple of years, when girls dominated the crowds. I put this down to footy fans enjoying good exciting footy regardless of gender, in the two months before the men’s season starts. Which is all good

I think the roots of women's footy is a key ingredient of the atmosphere.... the men attending probably become part of it......such is the ways of humans.

It's like the history of alcohol and maleness still holds a part of the culture of men's footy, even though it has become more family orientated.

The other part, of course, is that some blokey blokes will never attend women's footy ....

True, but l think to get the full promotion of the game, an alignment to the mens competition would be beneficial, then do harm. Bit like the EPL aligns it season alongside the FA Women's Premier League, and that has its following, as people follow the club, whether its men or women playing.
Quite a few games l have watched this season, where the game has deteriorated, has been due to the heat and the skills just go out the window, and the game turns into a messy, pile on contested game....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see that Carlton have been allowed into WA to play Freo this weekend. I am tipping, considering the Eagles players are now back in WA, that our game gets moved from Vic Park to WA......

Then IF they play same time as the Men they would have Tiny Crowds at there Games
I definitely get where the quoted AFLW players (I guess I shouldn't generalise and assume they all want the same thing) are coming from that they don't want to be seen as a warm up act for the men. But maybe there is a way to have the women play before and after the men and for the AFLW players to feel like their match is being marketed as important as the men's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back