Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

A must buy.

Springsteen's legend is built upon live performances like this one. That whole tour was a gift from the gods, and this show is one of a few absolute peaks that they reached.

That Tour - well the quality of it, was pretty much due to his legal fight with ex manager Mike Appel. He couldn't record for almost 3 years, couldn't capitalise on BTR so just had to play to survive and the '76-77 tour they honed their skills and '78 they killed it.

A must buy.

Springsteen's legend is built upon live performances like this one. That whole tour was a gift from the gods, and this show is one of a few absolute peaks that they reached.
It would appear Prove It All Night '78 is as brutal as the legends have told us. Wowee.

Stevie was on Jimmy Fallon's show 2 weeks ago. They sang a Sinatra song - My Kind of Town - together. In the interview they talked about Lillyhammer but he said that Sopranos director David Chase decided to cast him for the Sopranos based solely on his speech/performance at the 1997 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and inducting The Rascals. He had never done any acting before and Chase just liked his style and presence.

watch from 2:30

The Boss was on the last show of season 3 of Lilyhammer which aired on 17th December in the states.
image.JPG

Bruce Springsteen, left, takes direction from Steven van Zandt during the filming of season 3 of "Lilyhammer."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ngsteen-makes-acting-debut-in-Lilyhammer.html

Bruce Springsteen has made his acting debut in an episode of the Netflix mafia dramedy Lilyhammer, under the diretorial debut of his E Street bandmate Steven Van Zandt.

Springsteen, the musical megastar known as The Boss, plays Giuseppe 'The Undertaker' Tagliano, the older brother of Van Zandt's character, the fictional New York gangster Frank 'The Fixer' Tagliano.

"He's really acting," Van Zandt told AP. "It's not some cameo. He's not playing himself. It's a real thing."

Springsteen appears in the season three finale of Lillyhammer, which is set in the Norwegian city to which Tagliano has fled under a new identity

Van Zandt, who also who produces and composes music for the show, admits there was "a little bit of anxiety involved" in directing Springsteen, adding: "I know we're friends for 50 years but still it meant a lot to me that he chose me and trusted me enough to direct him when literally everybody on earth's been wanting to do it ," said Van Zandt,

Springsteen's only previous foray into acting was a brief appearance in the 2000 film High Fidelity, but that was as himself rather than in an acting role

Van Zandt says it all went well and Springsteen "did great" as Giuseppe. "Was if fun? Yeah, but it's more fun when it's over," he says with a laugh. "It's fun now."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ngsteen-makes-acting-debut-in-Lilyhammer.html

Jungleland in this 78 show is amazing.

The main thing that strikes me is the band. It's so much sparser than nowadays. Everything is important and you can discern it. These days it's kind of like a Wall of Sound effect. It's so different.

Wonder what the reaction would be if Bruce said next tour he was going back to a much more basic band:

Bruce
Stevie and Nils
Garry
Professor
Charlie
Jake
Max

Anybody else big on Save My Love? A simply wonderful song. Its melody is brilliant. I love everything about this, and it would probably be in my top 20 or thereabouts. ******* incredible. That note he holds at the end is sublime.

Just listen to him. You can see the joy in his eyes and the hear the happiness in his voice when he says "ONE of the top ten moments in my life." What an incredible feeling that would be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody else big on Save My Love? A simply wonderful song. Its melody is brilliant. I love everything about this, and it would probably be in my top 20 or thereabouts. ******* incredible. That note he holds at the end is sublime.

Just listen to him. You can see the joy in his eyes and the hear the happiness in his voice when he says "ONE of the top ten moments in my life." What an incredible feeling that would be.

I can see why Bruce didn't put this on Darkness, but if he released it as a single before The River or put it on the River it would have got a lot of radio play and might have been a hit - the one he was looking for - and finally got with Hungry Heart. It's classic wall of sound song and I reckon would have slotted nicely somewhere on The River around or with Hungry Heart - Out in the Street - Crush on You - You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) - I Wanna Marry You.

IMHO its the best new song on The Promise.

'Save My Love' is ordinary. Pure vanilla.

And don't go dissing The River. It's the man's second best album.
No dissing the The River - but SML is a pop song which would have sat in very well with the 5 or 6 pop songs on The River. Ok just saw Cruyff's comment.

No dissing the The River - but SML is a pop song which would have sat in very well with the 5 or 6 pop songs on The River. Ok just saw Cruyff's comment.

I love the guy as much as anyone here, but to me it's a song that would sit on Magic or Working on a Dream... albums that are MOR to the max. I dunno. Maybe my expectations are too high.

I love the guy as much as anyone here, but to me it's a song that would sit on Magic or Working on a Dream... albums that are MOR to the max. I dunno. Maybe my expectations are too high.

He needed a pop hit - as was written in the biography by Peter Ames Carlin - he had all this critical success - had this reputation for doing great shows - but had nothing really to show for it. SML would have been a song radio played. I cant say it would have been a hit but it has a hook and I reckon it would have been played enough to try to rope people in.

If Hungry Heart wasnt a hit - who knows where Bruce's career would have ended up. Yeah he made a few great albums but he might have given up and tried something else, or gone off on a completely different tangent to what he eventually took.

The best thing about 'Save My Love' is how he introduced it at the Brisbane show.

"Very obscure. This was a song that was meant to go on, let me think, I think it was Darkness on the Edge of Town. It was too happy. Too ******* happy. You were too happy! You couldn't get on the record you were too happy!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back