Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
If you're interested in getting an insight into Brodie Grundy and his relationship with Nathan Buckley, have a look at the Couch interview tonight.

To start off, Lyon asked a pretty open ended question about his battle with Draper and Brodie was fairly forthcoming...

Then Buckley asked him the a question based on an analysis that had draper winning most of the contest with Brodie and Cameron coming back in the last quarter.

Brodie's reaction was interesting. Smiling and calling him coach and almost offering an apologetic answer. They tell me that Buckley lightened up in 2018. I remember that was the story and buckley spent the year hugging everyone. I saw a more father-son dialogue in their conversation tonight. It might have been the case that the players lost a bit of enjoyment during the buckley years by trying to please him.

Buckley's second question was also based on the lack of front half turnovers - another negative - and you could see Brodie putting his defences up.

In an earlier game in the season, I remember being struck by a Grundy reaction to a young forward kicking a goal. Grundy came up to him jumping about like a 5 year old. I'm not sure that I've ever seen him look so excited....

The other interesting part of the Grundy interview tonight was that Grundy ended up clamming up big time and looked a little pissed off. It wasn't lost on the rest of the fox boys on the couch.

And then the new coach comes onto AFL360 and says that he main focus is to allow the players to be themselves..... It got me thinking of the buckley-grundy relationship.

Last edited:
If you're interested in getting an insight into Brodie Grundy and his relationship with Nathan Buckley, have a look at the Couch interview tonight.

To start off, Lyon asked a pretty open ended question about his battle with Draper and Brodie was fairly forthcoming...

Then Buckley asked him the a question based on an analysis that had draper winning most of the contest with Brodie and Cameron coming back in the last quarter.

Brodie's reaction was interesting. Smiling and calling him coach and almost offering an apologetic answer. They tell me that Buckley lightened up in 2018. I remember that was the story and buckley spent the year hugging everyone. I saw a more father-son dialogue in their conversation tonight. It might have been the case that the players lost a bit of enjoyment during the buckley years by trying to please him.

Buckley's second question was also based on the lack of front half turnovers - another negative - and you could see Brodie putting his defences up.

In an earlier game in the season, I remember being struck by a Grundy reaction to a young forward kicking a goal. Grundy came up to him jumping about like a 5 year old. I'm not sure that I've ever seen him look so excited....

The other interesting part of the Grundy interview tonight was that Grundy ended up clamming up big time and looked a little pissed off. It wasn't lost on the rest of the fox boys on the couch.

And then the new coach comes onto AFL360 and says that he main focus is to allow the players to be themselves..... I got me thinking of the buckley-grundy relationship.
If Buckley had continued his 2018 coaching persona he may well still be in the job.
But after the GF loss it looks like he reverted to his old self.
And the discussion now about taking the personalities out of the game with the raft of rule changes is directly related to Buckleys desire to make his charges to be “just like him”. Refreshing to have a coach that understands the players you recruit have made themselves attractive to clubs by playing with personality. Don’t try and change to much.

And then the new coach comes onto AFL360 and says that he main focus is to allow the players to be themselves..... I got me thinking of the buckley-grundy relationship.

I thought that first question was tone deaf. Buckley basically said: "It wasn't your day, BG..." and Grundy fired back a bit. That was my reading and it felt uncomfortable.

They really shouldn’t let him discuss collingwood games. its going to be weird for a year or two.

i suppose fox could get another ex-hawthorn player to discuss the games.....there must be one of them out there that hasnt got a gig in the media.

i actually like buckley talking about the pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They really shouldn’t let him discuss collingwood games. its going to be weird for a year or two.
I’m yet to hear him participate in an interview with McRae. Not sure if that’s a fox/sen/Buckley or club decision though.

In terms of his media work Buckley is very analytical and often provides a large context prior to asking a question. It’s a different approach to what we commonly see with a lot of media types who simply ask a question and I can see why that’s not for every listener.

I’m yet to hear him participate in an interview with McRae. Not sure if that’s a fox/sen/Buckley or club decision though.

In terms of his media work Buckley is very analytical and often provides a large context prior to asking a question. It’s a different approach to what we commonly see with a lot of media types who simply ask a question and I can see why that’s not for every listener.

Yeah, I just cringe a bit when he comments on Collingwood. He’s a good commentator, but I can’t see how he can do it without a few conflicts of interest.

i tend to disagree. Interviewers quite often give the answer when asking the question and then want the player to give their reaction to what was asked. I think Buckley did that too by telling brodie that he lost the first 3 quarters but turned it around in the last quarter. I think brodie responded to this analysis by referring to buckley as "coach".

I know the rest of the guys on the couch just asked simple questions but i would argue that that is isnt the usual case when players are interviewed post game. It's quite usual to give the answer in the question and then wait for a response to the interviewer's analysis.

However, I must admit that I'm not sure whether Grundy was just reacting to a negative assessment or whether it was because Buckley was making that negative assessment. Whichever one, Grundy decided to play a very straight bat and clam up and only refer to doing their best and taking each game one at a time etc etc etc..... which was something that lyon and the rest laughed at after the interview.

Yeah, I just cringe a bit when he comments on Collingwood. He’s a good commentator, but I can’t see how he can do it without a few conflicts of interest.

fox loves these conflicts of interest. They have eddie betts giving his insights into geelong and brerton often would analyse gws when he was coaching their forwards and i cant think of other examples but they happen a lot on there.

Fox actually has specifically got buckley involved in pie games to try to get him to criticise the new macrae approach ....in fact, they got buckley to appear on the couch specifically for the grundy interview. He moved out of his seat after the interview was finished. Fox were hoping for a player - coach reaction by injecting buckley into an interview that they must have organised before the game - I wonder if grundy knew that buckley would be involved when he agreed to the interview.

buckley has generally been positive in most of his general analysis about the macrae approach. It was his fairly negative slant in this interview and grundy's clamming up response, that i thought was worthy of a thread.

Buckley has been part of an interview conducted with Fly. The interview was done in the lead up to the first bounce in round 1 against the Saints, on fox footy.
That interview went well and was friendly and fun. l'm pretty sure Bucks even asking Fly about the game style he wishes to be seen played out there that night.
Thought the Grundy interview with On the Couch, those questions Bucks asked would’ve been asked by Reiwoldt or Brown if Bucks wasn't there. They obviously got Bucks to ask them, being Grundy's former coach, and thought they would get an interesting rapport between the two.

Buckley has been part of an interview conducted with Fly. The interview was done in the lead up to the first bounce in round 1 against the Saints, on fox footy.
That interview went well and was friendly and fun. l'm pretty sure Bucks even asking Fly about the game style he wishes to be seen played out there that night.
Thought the Grundy interview with On the Couch, those questions Bucks asked would’ve been asked by Reiwoldt or Brown if Bucks wasn't there. They obviously got Bucks to ask them, being Grundy's former coach, and thought they would get an interesting rapport between the two.
Cheers I missed that one. Before first game was a good opportunity I assume there were minimal analysis or comparisons to game plans etc given they were less known? You done this, it didn’t really work type of thing.

Last edited:
Bucks has been giving off the tiniest "my farts don't stink" vibe since returning the the media. Just a vibe. A little too pleased with himself.

Doesn’t help that Fly took subtle digs at him here and there.

fox loves these conflicts of interest. They have eddie betts giving his insights into geelong and brerton often would analyse gws when he was coaching their forwards and i cant think of other examples but they happen a lot on there.

Fox actually has specifically got buckley involved in pie games to try to get him to criticise the new macrae approach ....in fact, they got buckley to appear on the couch specifically for the grundy interview. He moved out of his seat after the interview was finished. Fox were hoping for a player - coach reaction by injecting buckley into an interview that they must have organised before the game - I wonder if grundy knew that buckley would be involved when he agreed to the interview.

buckley has generally been positive in most of his general analysis about the macrae approach. It was his fairly negative slant in this interview and grundy's clamming up response, that i thought was worthy of a thread.
Is there a guy with a greater “love” for a player than Brereton for Cameron? He also used to gush over Patton.

It was a terrible interview. Watching live I didn’t get the same sense as the OP, but in hindsight I see it. Buckley was correct in his assessment though and I suppose if that threw Grundy it says more for him than Bucks.

FWIW it’s only a thought, but the interview seemed to highlight the pride Grundy has in his performance and the McRae approach may not be the best at tickling that “stinging” reaction out of a player.

Thread title is too wordy,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back