Buckley on the Couch's Interview of Brodie Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Very very strange interview, my take away was that it wasn’t very impressive by Grundy but I didn’t factor in the Buckley aspect.
Grundy is a strange cat. I put his form issues down to not being able to handle the pressure as the most paid player in the biggest sporting club in Australia. He struggled in the COVID bubble, he’s struggling now. The reaction after his goal says it all, relief. Nothing against him, not everyone is made to deal with that level of expectation and pressure.

Take a pay cut son, save yourself and the club.

Anyone surprised that the perpetually negative perfectionist (Buckley) has carried this into his commentary?

well the story in 2018 was supposedly he had realised that hugging was more important. The thing that struck me was that grundy didnt appear to be happy...even after a great win... as if buckley hit a nerve.

Maybe their relationship is why grundy hasn't been passionate about his footy post contract. I just thought the question triggered something in grundy that put a damper on him....and then i thought about the press conference post game with mcrae and ginnivan where mcrae was going on and on about allowing the players to express themselves and being authentic.....grundy definitely wasnt doing that during the interview

Is there a guy with a greater “love” for a player than Brereton for Cameron? He also used to gush over Patton.

It was a terrible interview. Watching live I didn’t get the same sense as the OP, but in hindsight I see it. Buckley was correct in his assessment though and I suppose if that threw Grundy it says more for him than Bucks.

FWIW it’s only a thought, but the interview seemed to highlight the pride Grundy has in his performance and the McRae approach may not be the best at tickling that “stinging” reaction out of a player.

i agree with all of this. Buckley pricked grundy's pride and it does contrast with mcrae's total support approach. I'll be interested if mcrae can rekindle grundy's enthusiasm for the game. As i said in the first post, he has jumped around a few times this year like a 5 year old post goals, and i havent seen that in grundy for a few years.

There's a real father son thing going on here and mcrae is definitely doing something more as a friend. I think even Pendles has been a bit more enthusiastic this year. I was surprised to see his big hug of reef post goal in the last quarter. I'm not sure if buckley allowed these guys to enjoy themselves without hitting them with reality.

Grundy is a strange cat. I put his form issues down to not being able to handle the pressure as the most paid player in the biggest sporting club in Australia. He struggled in the COVID bubble, he’s struggling now. The reaction after his goal says it all, relief. Nothing against him, not everyone is made to deal with that level of expectation and pressure.

Take a pay cut son, save yourself and the club.

you might be right but the question is whether the "reality" that buckley confronts him with, is going to help. Maybe just enjoy the game and make mistakes as the mcrae mantra says....

well the story in 2018 was supposedly he had realised that hugging was more important. The thing that struck me was that grundy didnt appear to be happy...even after a great win... as if buckley hit a nerve.

Maybe their relationship is why grundy hasn't been passionate about his footy post contract. I just thought the question triggered something in grundy that put a damper on him....and then i thought about the press conference post game with mcrae and ginnivan where mcrae was going on and on about allowing the players to express themselves and being authentic.....grundy definitely wasnt doing that during the interview
I think it illustrated why players keep talking about a breath of fresh air. Bucks is a perfectionist, so even when a bloke played a massive last quarter to help his team across the line in a close game, Bucks began with a negative.

I think it illustrated why players keep talking about a breath of fresh air. Bucks is a perfectionist, so even when a bloke played a massive last quarter to help his team across the line in a close game, Bucks began with a negative.

yeh. I think seeing the buckley effect in the interview reminded me of the Ross Lyon effect on fremantle. They made the grand final, but they looked like they lost all enjoyment in playing the game.

I didn’t see this interview but as a general comment I’m enjoying seeing Bucks in the media. He looks different too - quite polished and well dressed - and…calmer. Which is understandable.

He is analytical, his insights are welcome, and I haven’t seen any issue with conflicts when commenting on Collingwood. He is not a Bitter Old Man like you know who, which is refreshing. I hope his new career is rewarding for him.

I didn’t see this interview but as a general comment I’m enjoying seeing Bucks in the media. He looks different too - quite polished and well dressed - and…calmer. Which is understandable.

He is analytical, his insights are welcome, and I haven’t seen any issue with conflicts when commenting on Collingwood. He is not a Bitter Old Man like you know who, which is refreshing. I hope his new career is rewarding for him.

I agree. He works well as a commentator. I'm not sure if he sparked positive reactions as a coach.

The polished look fits in well with the babe he is or was hanging out with. That relationship is a bit of an insight. Maybe the whole thing is him striving for perfection and he's comfortable with that.

I did wonder how he'd go about dissecting Collingwood in the media after being given the boot. It can't be easy, but it was his decision to take the huge money at Fox. Buckley in my time viewing this season, has been quite defensive of his coaching beliefs. I've heard him several times this year comment during or after games, that despite McCrae claiming they would go forward more, that Collingwood's i50 entries have been below average.

Seems very insecure about any sort of criticism or perceived criticism of his high possession, chip kick game plan. I tend to just zone out when he speaks, as I imagine many of his players did by the end, which is a shame as he does have some good insights, and is certainly intelligent.

I agree. He works well as a commentator. I'm not sure if he sparked positive reactions as a coach.

The polished look fits in well with the babe he is or was hanging out with. That relationship is a bit of an insight. Maybe the whole thing is him striving for perfection and he's comfortable with that.

I’m not sure about his relationship. Maybe a bit of the old ‘midlife crisis’, although striving for perfection in all aspects of life is a bit of a worry. Anyway, I wish him the best.

I did wonder how he'd go about dissecting Collingwood in the media after being given the boot. It can't be easy, but it was his decision to take the huge money at Fox. Buckley in my time viewing this season, has been quite defensive of his coaching beliefs. I've heard him several times this year comment during or after games, that despite McCrae claiming they would go forward more, that Collingwood's i50 entries have been below average.

Seems very insecure about any sort of criticism or perceived criticism of his high possession, chip kick game plan. I tend to just zone out when he speaks, as I imagine many of his players did by the end, which is a shame as he does have some good insights, and is certainly intelligent.

I'm not sure if grundy has reached the zoned out stage when it comes to his former coach...

i was just thinking about the mcrae buckley thing at the start of the season...."any advice to bucks, fly?" .... "lighten up, bucks"... maybe it was more than just a bit of banter...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps his knee and not Buckley was the reason for short answers?

Said it was right, but that was unlikely to be known before scans.

Perhaps his knee and not Buckley was the reason for short answers?

Said it was right, but that was unlikely to be known before scans.

maybe... but he did seem to start off ok...

maybe he wanted to vent but thought better of it, and decided to shut up and get the interview over with. It still doesnt explain why buckley asked a negative question although he might say that he has taken on the role of commentator and he would have done things differently as a coach.....but the coach remark by grundy would appear to support a view that they slipped back into the coach player relationship.

the whole thing just highlighted to me that being honest is not always the best way to coach. I tend to think now that i'm happy we parted ways

Is there a guy with a greater “love” for a player than Brereton for Cameron? He also used to gush over Patton.

It was a terrible interview. Watching live I didn’t get the same sense as the OP, but in hindsight I see it. Buckley was correct in his assessment though and I suppose if that threw Grundy it says more for him than Bucks.

FWIW it’s only a thought, but the interview seemed to highlight the pride Grundy has in his performance and the McRae approach may not be the best at tickling that “stinging” reaction out of a player.
I always wondered about his love for Curtly Hampton

you might be right but the question is whether the "reality" that buckley confronts him with, is going to help. Maybe just enjoy the game and make mistakes as the mcrae mantra says....
I think Buckley’s coaching style flaws are blown out of proportion.

More importantly we’ve now got the biggest component of our salary cap on the long term injury list! Credit to him for playing through the pain and kicking a goal!

Anyone surprised that the perpetually negative perfectionist (Buckley) has carried this into his commentary?

I was surprised that micro-managing Buck's who doesn't like to delegate was able to ask a question and provide the answer to it before the end of the question...

I was surprised that micro-managing Buck's who doesn't like to delegate was able to ask a question and provide the answer to it before the end of the question...

to be fair to buckley, he's not alone in the interviewers crowd. Just listen to most post match interviews and the questions contain all the information and the player just ends up agreeing with it.

i agree with all of this. Buckley pricked grundy's pride and it does contrast with mcrae's total support approach. I'll be interested if mcrae can rekindle grundy's enthusiasm for the game. As i said in the first post, he has jumped around a few times this year like a 5 year old post goals, and i havent seen that in grundy for a few years.

There's a real father son thing going on here and mcrae is definitely doing something more as a friend. I think even Pendles has been a bit more enthusiastic this year. I was surprised to see his big hug of reef post goal in the last quarter. I'm not sure if buckley allowed these guys to enjoy themselves without hitting them with reality.
I saw it and thought it looked like Grundy was pissed off at getting a negative reaction from Buckley after what was a pretty good performance, and of course a win.
It suggests to me that Grundy (and probably others) now see the control-oriented coaching style of the Buckley years in negative terms.

to be fair to buckley, he's not alone in the interviewers crowd. Just listen to most post match interviews and the questions contain all the information and the player just ends up agreeing with it.

IIRC correctly, in Buck's book he mentioned when as a captain a young player gave him feedback that when the player was responding to a question that Buck's asked, that Bucks wasn't listening to his response, just waiting for another opportunity to talk.

I feel that Bucks' provides awesome insight and his football knowledge is outstanding, but sometimes we just want to hear a player be happy after a game...

I saw it and thought it looked like Grundy was pissed off at getting a negative reaction from Buckley after what was a pretty good performance, and of course a win.
It suggests to me that Grundy (and probably others) now see the control-oriented coaching style of the Buckley years in negative terms.
Bucks pretty much summed it up for Grundy's game in Q2 and Q3 saying Draper shaded him in those quarters but that Grundy won Q1 and Q4. He wasn't alone with that opinion either.

Some strange things happened in the QLD hub in 2020.

One of the things I heard at the start of 2021 through a Hawthorn player connection who witnessed it, was an incident that led to a Pies player being taken to hospital by ambulance and a number of others left in tears as a result. The connection also said a lot of other worse stuff happened which was mind boggling but he refused to share.

Would have been a huge challenge coaching a footy team in 2020 and 2021 and I note Bucks has said the 2020 flag win by Richmond was a massive achievement.

Those two years have left lasting scars all across the AFL industry and the form of particular players appears to have been affected on a long term basis.

I am sure it also affected many relationships both football and personal.

Bucks pretty much summed it up for Grundy's game in Q2 and Q3 saying Draper shaded him in those quarters but that Grundy won Q1 and Q4. He wasn't alone with that opinion either.

as a commentator buckley had every right to express that view....but this is a player that he coached the year before and grundy reacted to the question by sarcastically calling him coach. The point of my original post was that grundy visibly clammed up after the question. He shut up shop and the rest of the boys on the couch commented on it....

its usual that when a commentator is interviewing a player, they keep it light. It's not a coaching feedback session. That was the point of the thread.

as a commentator buckley had every right to express that view....but this is a player that he coached the year before and grundy reacted to the question by sarcastically calling him coach. The point of my original post was that grundy visibly clammed up after the question. He shut up shop and the rest of the boys on the couch commented on it....

its usual that when a commentator is interviewing a player, they keep it light. It's not a coaching feedback session. That was the point of the thread.
Grundy clammed up because he knew the "coach" was right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back