Sliding doors, what if we won in 2018, and kept Buckley and the same FD? Where would we be now?

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, we weren't exactly gifted with forward talent at the time, apart from Checkers, Billy and Degs (which left a hole in the middle), yeah the defensive game plan was probably a little overboard.
The lack of forward talent made the slow play even worse. It was philosophically wrong. If your forwards are a weakness, you don't make it harder for them.

Stating the obvious, but I would love us to be the first team to get to 17 premierships and be number one for most premierships. Imagine having that stat at your disposable, whenever you got into arguments with opposition supporters. It'd be fantastic. "Yeah, more premierships than any other club, mate" 😄

So essentially if he gives up his football philosophy he spent 10 years developing then he could succeed.

Clearly I meant scale it back and find the balance between his defensive philosophy and attack.

2018 he got closer to that balance and was a kick away. Imo his reaction to that loss and some poor defensive efforts saw the pendulum swing too far in defensive favour.

Stating the obvious, but I would love us to be the first team to get to 17 premierships and be number one for most premierships. Imagine having that stat at your disposable, whenever you got into arguments with opposition supporters. It'd be fantastic. "Yeah, more premierships than any other club, mate" 😄
And we should have that, even if we get to 16 we're top of the heap, we're ahead in every other metric over the competition except the most important one.

It was widely acknowledged that our 2018 journey was on the back of Buckley taking advice from players and coaches to stop micro managing and let them do their job.
The fact that we lost and in 2019 Buckley went back to his old ways simply shows that had we won he would have ramped up his managing style to exclude all contrary views.
I see from the development of players, that I thought would never make it under Buckley, that the change has been beneficial to players, club and supporters.
So no, had we won and everything stayed the same it would be Carlton laughing at us!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was widely acknowledged that our 2018 journey was on the back of Buckley taking advice from players and coaches to stop micro managing and let them do their job.
The fact that we lost and in 2019 Buckley went back to his old ways simply shows that had we won he would have ramped up his managing style to exclude all contrary views.
I see from the development of players, that I thought would never make it under Buckley, that the change has been beneficial to players, club and supporters.
So no, had we won and everything stayed the same it would be Carlton laughing at us!

We made the prelim in 2019 and missed a grand final berth by a kick.

Appreciate you’re not a Buckley fan but try not to rewrite history.

We made the prelim in 2019 and missed a grand final berth by a kick.

Appreciate you’re not a Buckley fan but try not to rewrite history.

Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten that. Bucks did a very good job as a coach, and we did have a sniff in 2019. I feel as though the tiges might have savaged us though.

We probably still win. He only kicked 3. Jordy was a beast that night with 4 also
Yep De Goey ripped Rance apart, Cox finished the job and snuffed out any chance of a comeback.

I think the golden child surrendered 7 or 8 on the night, we used to isolate him for a steady stream of goals.

Clearly I meant scale it back and find the balance between his defensive philosophy and attack.

2018 he got closer to that balance and was a kick away. Imo his reaction to that loss and some poor defensive efforts saw the pendulum swing too far in defensive favour.
2018 was the exception not the rule of Buckley’s career.

Even if he wanted a more offensive setup he focused on the groups mistakes too much and had them scared to take the game on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back