Review 2015 Buddy Expectations & Reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
It will be good if every players has his expectations set so that way, at the end of next season we can rate the players accordingly.

Format -
Buddy
A Grade - Well beyond expectations
B Grade - Above expectations
C Grade - Below expectations
D Grade - Shocking year, has done a Sylvia

Tom Sheridan
A Grade - Top 10 in B&F - Plays 15+ games, cements his spots in the 22, plays all final games.
B Grade - Cements his spot in the best 22 by the end of the year, plays 10+ games of AFL and dominates any games he plays in the WAFL.
C Grade - Continues his form in the WAFL but does not improve greatly, struggles in AFL games he plays.
D Grade - Goes backwards, struggles in the WAFL and when he plays AFL stinks it up.

Last edited:
Matt DeBoer
A Grade - Starts round 1 in the centre square, and does so for the season. Follows the ball all over the ground, using his endurance and his toughness, feeding the ball out to his team mates with his lightning hands. Average of 5+ clearances a game, 20+ disposals per game ( 15 handballs, 5 kicks ), 7+ tackles per game. Once again talked up as future captain material. Top 10 B&F finish.

B Grade - Starts round 1 on the HFF in a lock down role, rotating through the centre. Keeps his opponent to <15 touches and 1 goal, whilst gathering >15 himself. Lays some of the fairest and best shirt fronts you have seen. Remains a tackling machine 7+ per game, excelling at locking the ball in our forward 50.

C Grade - Floats in and out of the team covering for injuries playing <10 games. Dominates at Peel averaging 25+ touches per game

D Grade - Good year at Peel, but his lack of attacking style has him languishing in the WAFL, only to be surpassed by Croz, Sherro, Weller etc. Plays less than a handful of AFL games pigeon holed into a run with role as cover for an injury.

I guess I'm going to have to set my sights pretty high for 2015:

A Grade - Brownlow, Norm Smith, back-to-back AFLPA MVP, 3x Doig

B Grade - Top 5 Brownlow again, spends more time up forward and finishes top 3 in goals kicked for Freo for 2015.

C Grade - Gets tagged all season & doesn't improve at shaking them. Not even talked about by the end of the year in Brownlow betting.

D Grade - Loses Brownlow eligibility for punching someone's punchable face. Spends +4 games on the sidelines suspended.

I may update these before the season starts because this was just a quick rundown.

Josh Deluca

A Grade - Establishes himself from the start of the season as a key member of the side.

B Grade - Establishes himself at some point in the side. This to me seems most likely for little Josh this season.

C Grade - Struggles with the WAFL environment change down at Peel and can't get decent run of form together which warrants RTB and the match committee really look at him for selection.

D Grade - Only way this could happen is if he's dropped to the Peel stiffs. The guy was a star in the WAFL GF last year so a Sylvia would have to be going backwards at an awful rate. From here I can't see this happening.

#35 Michael Apeness

A Grade :D
  • Displays his enhanced running capacity and natural propensity for brawn to muscle his way into the Dockers' best 22 by the end of the season
  • Plays 8-12 senior games averaging 0.8-1.5 goals a game; presents a viable, go-to target for the midfielders and allows Taberner and Pavlich off the leash
  • Shows consistently satisfactory, if not salivating WAFL form averaging 1.5-2 goals a game
  • Displays tenacity to fit the RTB gameplan with his primate-like pace, rugby-like tenacity to tackle and booming bombs from the 50 metre arc!
B Grade :)
  • Garners 4-7 senior berths and averages 0.5-0.7 goals per game; provides solid decoy to Taberner and Pavlich while applying defensive aptitude requisite of Fremantle forwards
  • Solid, consistent WAFL form with scoreboard impact around 1-1.4 goals a game
C Grade :$
  • Shows promising, somewhat inconsistent but occasionally mercurial WAFL form (hopefully averaging 0.8-1 goal a game)
  • Translates this into 1-3 AFL games in which he makes a physical impact, but reaps limited scoreboard potential (0-0.3 goals a game)
  • Scores first AFL goal
D Grade :drunk:
  • Fails to crack a senior berth
  • Flounders in the WAFL with limited scoreboard impact (less than 0.5 goal a game)
  • Form, potential hampered by injury, inconsistency or undiscipline

One thing's for sure... Apeness does not mean monkey business! :mad:
Ape-ness.jpg

(Unfortunately, my Microsoft Pai- ...ahem, I mean my Photoshop skills are a monkey's business)

Matt Taberner

A Grade: Establishes himself as key piece of Fremantles forward line and provide consistent . 40 goals.
B Grade: Establishes himself in the forward line but has a few quiet games, will need to work on consistency in 2016. 20 goals
C Grade: No further improvement on 2014 output. 10 goals.
D Grade: Flounders in the WAFL. What the f** happened?!

Zac Dawson

A. Well above average = A premiership player. nothing else will do for any Fremantle player. Is awarded the number 26 jumper as recognition of his Norm Smith medal performance including his match winning goal in the 2015 flag triumph. Gets 1 Brownlow vote during the year. All Australian squad.

B. Above average = Continues to thrill Freo fans with his non eloquent (but highly effective) spoiling and general scragging tactics. Leads all Fremantle players for spoils following on from his record 110 in 2014. Improves his already awesome disposal efficiency above his 2014 standard of 84.2%. Gets the recognition he richly deserves for the job he does keeping his opponents under control.

C. Below average = umpires pick on him just because he is clumsy and uncoordinated and he gets suspended once or twice. Gets a few bags of goals kicked on him (but we all know this will never happen)

D. Shocking year = Ross loses faith in him and sends him back to Peel. It would also be a shocking year for him if he was injured or suspended a lot too. Misses that goal that would have won us the 2015 Premiership when he kicks the ground half a metre behind the ball. Just to rub it in his divot sails straight through the big sticks. Do that Zac and I won't be Prozac any more but on Prozac!

Michael Johnson
A Grade: A strong role in a grand finals performance, leads club for intercept marks and continues to provide excellent creative drive out of the backline, resulting in a fast scoring freo for 2015. Wins a fair share of matches by himself and is a unanimous All Australian.

B: Plays most games and is solid, averaging about 17 possessions and winning plaudits, AA squad of 40. Misses a 2-4 game chunk of the season but is not missed too much, and plays finals.

C: Misses half the season but eventually cements a spot down back, however is markedly down on his 2013-14 form. Plays good role in the team.

D: Spends half a season getting over his various ailments, but can't find enough form to misplace Ibbotson/Pearce in time for (hopeful) finals. Constant niggles. Retires citing body issues :( I don't expect this since he is 30 but worst case scenario

Lachie Weller ("Weller?? I hardly knew her!")...

A Grade: Rising Star winner, best 22, 15+ games, Premiership medal.
B Grade: Rising Star nominee, 6-15 games, dominates WAFL in games played, Simpson medal in losing WAFL GF (Souths win convincingly!!!).
C Grade: AFL debut, < 3 games, injuries hampers development, serviceable in WAFL.
D Grade: Season long injury.
F Grade: Doesn't get on the plane. Homesick.

Lachie Weller

A Grade - Well beyond expectations - Plays all 25 games, wins AFL rising star award, top 10 in Doig

B Grade - Above expectations - Plays 10-15 AFL games, wins Beacon award

Par - Plays 5-10 AFL games, wins Beacon award

C Grade - Below expectations - Plays <5 AFL games, lets Blakely beat him in the Beacon

D Grade - Shocking year, has done a Sylvia - Don't be stupid, Lachie doesn't do D's or lower

McPharlap - His final lap
A Grade: Premiership player
B Grade: 15-18 games with farewell game at Subi
C Grade: 10-13 games, injury at away game and never recovers
D Grade: 3-5 games - no farewell game
F Grade: Retires pre-season
Honest assessment for Luke there in 2015. :thumbsu:

Need a B+ option for playing 20 odd games and making it the finals but let Dawson, Silvagni and Johnson/Ibbo take us to glory.

Ballas
A Grade : 22 Games, Premiership Player, AA, 50 goals, 70 Tackles and why not throw in Goal of the Year for a second time
B Grade : 20 Games, AA, 45 Goals, 55 Tackles
C Grade : Multiple weeks through suspension, less than 35 goals, less than 50 tackles
D Grade : Suspensions for poor discipline missing critical matches, multiple goalless games, changes career to become a jockey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ballas
A Grade : 22 Games, Premiership Player, AA, 50 goals, 70 Tackles and why not throw in Goal of the Year for a second time
B Grade : 20 Games, AA, 45 Goals, 55 Tackles
C Grade : Multiple weeks through suspension, less than 35 goals, less than 50 tackles
D Grade : Suspensions for poor discipline missing critical matches, multiple goalless games, changes career to become a jockey.

Can we add something about performing well in finals.

No pressure on the young guy, but I see my buddy making the best 22 by the middle of the season. Clearly the next Roger Hayden.

I hope not. That would mean a LTI.

This is how I see it working out. He comes in for Ibbo, grows another 6cm in an unusually late growth spurt, becomes the natural replacement for McPharlin, McPharlin retires, Ibbo comes back into the team (or Clancee, whoever you prefer in that role) and my buddy saves Freo's defensive stocks. Only a matter of time the way I see it.

This is how I see it working out. He comes in for Ibbo, grows another 6cm in an unusually late growth spurt, becomes the natural replacement for McPharlin, McPharlin retires, Ibbo comes back into the team (or Clancee, whoever you prefer in that role) and my buddy saves Freo's defensive stocks. Only a matter of time the way I see it.

Fair enough. I did not consider that scenario but sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
Matt DeBoer
A Grade - Starts round 1 in the centre square, and does so for the season. Follows the ball all over the ground, using his endurance and his toughness, feeding the ball out to his team mates with his lightning hands. Average of 5+ clearances a game, 20+ disposals per game ( 15 handballs, 5 kicks ), 7+ tackles per game. Once again talked up as future captain material. Top 10 B&F finish.

Oh how I yearn for some A Grade M.DeBoer. The hit on Waters brings a tear to my eye. (Beau welled up too I bet).

Deboer.gif

Tom Sheridan

A Grade - Plays 15+ games for Freo, 10-15 goals. Classed as Best 18 by years end.

B Grade - Plays 10+ games for Freo, 5-8 goals, just making Best 22. Dominates WAFL games.

C Grade - Weller/Blakely play more games for Freo. Still dominates WAFL.

D Grade - Doesn't get a game for Freo. Coasts at Peel for the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back