Buddy Franklin Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad he chose to leave us.

Bud, genuinely draws supporters to the ground, and onfield he draws 2 opponents leaving the other forwards with one less to contend with. Irreplaceable as a footballer in terms of the influence on the team, whether it be directly or indirectly.

I think he's playing with more freedom at Sydney than he did under Clarko at Hawthorn.

I laughed on the weekend when I walked past a reject shop that had about 50 "Buddy Balls" in the entrance....

Why are we only appreciating the guy now. You do realise he's played some pretty awesome footy for the last 9 or so years don't you??

Guy is a gun, plain and simple. As much as it pains me these days, the bloke can turn a game like few others.

Probably because every man and his dog were jumping over each other to sink the boots into him after 4 games, telling us that his best was far behind him and that he'd be nothing more than an overpaid Kozi.

Everyone seems to have such a short memory. Buddy has always been a gun and to suggest that this season is his best is mystifying. We all know he was played out of position last year and he suffered statistically speaking, but was still a vital player for Hawthorn. Just having a quick look, his average stats in all key areas such as goals, marks, disposals and tackles over the 2010-2012 period are better than what he has done this year. Even contested marks and marks inside 50 are down compared to the above mentioned period.

He seems to have got some consistency into his game. Looked out of sorts at the beginning of the season and people started jumping on board the critique train, the in the last couple of months he has gone to another level. He is blessed with speed and is so agile. He is also a great mark, he is a big unit and has a magical (not to mention lethal) boot. He has been critisied for his innacurate kicking - and rightly so (he kicked 6 behinds in one half of footy a few weeks ago), but hwne he gets that many shots at goal, it simply doesn't matter - he still ends up kicking a bag. He has inproved his goal-kicking accuracy over the last few weeks as well, including a very neat 6.2 against the Blues. His best could possibly still be ahead of him - Richo nearly winning a Brownlow towards the end of his career comes to mind. There is no doubt that Buddy is one of the reasons why the Swan have been so good this year, he is such a match-winning player. Add him to an already star-studded lineup consisting of Josh Kennedy, Kieran Jack, Kurt Tippet, Ted Richards, Adam Goodes, Jarrad McVeigh, and the results are no surprise.

Probably because every man and his dog were jumping over each other to sink the boots into him after 4 games, telling us that his best was far behind him and that he'd be nothing more than an overpaid Kozi.

He is a knee injury away from screwing up Sydney's salary cap for the next 9 and a bit years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we only appreciating the guy now. You do realise he's played some pretty awesome footy for the last 9 or so years don't you??

Guy is a gun, plain and simple. As much as it pains me these days, the bloke can turn a game like few others.

Yes of course he did play awesome footy with the hawks, but only this year obviously being a swans supporter that watches him every week, have I sat back and thought this guy is just bloody awesome. If he can take us all the way this year who would care what happens for the next 8 years?

It is a bit odd how people are only appreciating him now, tbh.
Has been a champion since 2008, and regularly won games off his own boot, yet I'd read bigfooty weekly and there'd always be some dimwit calling him 'duddy', saying he was inconsistent, didn't work hard enough and wasn't a great forward because he didn't take contested marks.

The strangest part about this year though is that he's hit a good patch of form, and the media are jumping up and down like he's doing something new.

It is a bit odd how people are only appreciating him now, tbh.
Has been a champion since 2008, and regularly won games off his own boot, yet I'd read bigfooty weekly and there'd always be some dimwit calling him 'duddy', saying he was inconsistent, didn't work hard enough and wasn't a great forward because he didn't take contested marks.

The strangest part about this year though is that he's hit a good patch of form, and the media are jumping up and down like he's doing something new.

I think the 2014 version of buddy hysteria was formed on the basis low expectations set. The first month every man and his dog was calling him overrated and over-paid, giggling into their cornflakes about the shithole the Swans got themselves into.

His time at Hawthorn however, was mostly in the afterglow of that 2008 season which set expectations incredibly high. Good luck to any player trying to live up to a season like that.

Same sort of Buddy, but different public expectations.

You are an idiot if you think people are only appreciating him now. What I see... is a lot of Sydney fans who were told they were getting a broken shell of a player voicing their excitement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back