Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

He has improved every week, his effort has been there , he just lacked the conditioning due to interrupted pre season. He was moving very well on the weekend. Talia is a very mobile defender but once that ball hit the deck, he couldn't get near buddy.that open goal that buddy missed, he put daylight between him and the defender. Ominous signs for opposition.

It feels great to finally have a legitimate threat for a bag of goals. The best forwards in the league, u suspect of kicking a bag of 6 or 7 against you. With buddy, if he is on , you really don't know what to expect . It could be 6, 8 , 10 or 13....13!!!!!

Off the top of my head in his 3rd or 4th year buddy kicked 2.11 in a game . Amazing to think how young he was that he could have 13-15 shots on goal in a game!

His workrate has been terrific since round 1 its only on the weekend where he got any reasonable level of service from our mids and some great blocking from LRT.

Remember he is still gaining match fitness due to a interrupted pre-season due to a quad he suffered in the Grand Final.

No argument from me. I've been all for it from day 1 and knew he would come good.

You don't kick 550+ goals by not working hard.

No argument from me. I've been all for it from day 1 and knew he would come good.

You don't kick 550+ goals by not working hard.

People forget how many goals he has kicked in so few games. He's kicked over 200 more than paul chapman, he debuted 5 years after riewoldt, pavlich, and jon brown yet has kicked more goals than riewoldt and brown and virtually level with pav.
Simply amazing

People forget how many goals he has kicked in so few games. He's kicked over 200 more than paul chapman, he debuted 5 years after riewoldt, pavlich, and jon brown yet has kicked more goals than riewoldt and brown and virtually level with pav.
Simply amazing

Well if he finishes his contract might break pluggers record

Well if he finishes his contract might break pluggers record

Unlikely. With Tippett at FF, he'll be playing further up the ground until his body starts to decline, at which point we'll probably start playing him as a MOL-style forward pocket, good for 8 touches, 2 goals a game while taking the first or second key defender. He doesn't have the brute strength of Plugger that kept him kicking goals even as his body got slower, and the way the game is played these days simply doesn't lend itself to single players kicking bags nearly as much as it did back in Plugger's day.

Keep in mind that we are all getting excited over his game against Adelaide, which was a true CHF's game, 20 touches, 11 score involvements but only 4 goals. If he's gonna break Plugger's record, that would have to be more like 10 touches, 8 goals.

That said, he's a chance of breaking 1000, which would be an incredible effort for a guy who has played the majority of his football from CHF.

Unlikely. With Tippett at FF, he'll be playing further up the ground until his body starts to decline, at which point we'll probably start playing him as a MOL-style forward pocket, good for 8 touches, 2 goals a game while taking the first or second key defender. He doesn't have the brute strength of Plugger that kept him kicking goals even as his body got slower, and the way the game is played these days simply doesn't lend itself to single players kicking bags nearly as much as it did back in Plugger's day.

That said, he's a chance of breaking 1000, which would be an incredible effort for a guy who has played the majority of his football from CHF.

Dunno, only said might, who knows

I can see the plugger/buddy merchandise though already

Good interview by the bud, never really takes it too seriously. He's got one of those personalities that just draws people in, find it very hard to believe he is t well liked at the club....well maybe except macca but I don think he likes anyone

Have I been reading this right, some contemplating Lance breaking Pluggers record ..... hahaha !

Sorry ya'all, not laughing at anyone, laughing at the notion that any player will EVER break that record. It's one record that is outta reach and for varying reasons.

I bet my Tony Lockett 'signed' match boot (cost me $850) against 100 bucks that Buddy doesn't break the record .... any takers ?

If Lance breaks into 4 digits then that's huge and his input for the Swans will be at the very least 'fair'. Let's not put pressure on the guy or create a jinx.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It says no injuries on the grill team page but the airbag went off and 3 cars involved im hoping buddy was the innocent one in this.... although im sure his salary could cover the premiums ;)

Back