Budget Night 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

As I have pointed out, "bleeding heart" is a derogatory term directly pointed at people who care and show compassion.

It says a lot about the people using the term that they find those qualities in people to be something worth deriding.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bleeding heart

1st definition.
Feeling sorry for everything and everyone and giving in to emotions quickly.

2nd definition.
1. a person who is excessively sympathetic to the a plight of a person or group of people

2. a emotionally concerned person

Entirely in keeping with my usage (especially 2.1) and nothing about being derogatory (as opposed to insulting someone by saying they lack compassion).

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to justify your clear and unquestioned insult about me lacking compassion.
You're someone who derides people who have compassion ("bleeding hearts").

Based on that, why should I think you have this quality?

As I said, I hope that it is something you acquire over time. That is what happened to me, fyi.

You're someone who derides people who have compassion ("bleeding hearts").

Based on that, why should I think you have this quality?

As I said, I hope that it is something you acquire over time. That is what happened to me, fyi.

I deride those who have excessive and/or ill directed compassion. How does that mean I have none?

By being rational about who and how you help people, you can help those who need it more (and potentially more people)...How is that an attitude that is lacking in compassion?

When you go to a refugee camp in Africa (you have been right? I'd hate to think I was the only one in this discussion who has actually seen the source of the problem) did you give all you had to the first people who came up to you, or did you seek for those who were unable to come to you and help them?

I deride those who have excessive and/or ill directed compassion. How does that mean I have none?

By being rational about who and how you help people, you can help those who need it more (and potentially more people)...How is that an attitude that is lacking in compassion?

Exactly, there is so much wastage from having tens of different asylum systems in tens of different countries. They waste more money on lawyers than actually helping people.

to quote Monash Uni academic Adrienne Millbank

"Decisions regarding the genuineness of a claim for asylum are subjective and made on a benefit-of-the-doubt basis. Vast discrepancies between countries and adjudicators make a mockery of government claims to administer rigorous, consistent and fair processing."
Afghanistan produced most of the world's refugee claims in 2009 and the acceptance rate in Australia was 100 per cent. It was 20 per cent in Germany, 13 per cent in Sweden, 3 per cent in the Netherlands and zero in Greece.

to bring it back on topic...

A poster was attacking Hockey for wasting money on offshore processing/Nauru/PNG etc

Money spent on the Pacific solution during the Howard era - around one billion dollars

Money spent on dealing with asylum seekers since 2007 - greater than 10 billion (closer to 15 billion by now)

Money spent by Turkey on sheltering 210 thousand syrian refugees - US 2.5 billion dollars.

The anger is certainly misplaced.

Last edited:
Exactly, there is so much wastage from having tens of different asylum systems in tens of different countries. They waste more money on lawyers than actually helping people.

to quote Monash Uni academic Adrienne Milibank

to bring it back on topic...

A poster was attacking Hockey for wasting money on offshore processing/Nauru/PNG etc

Money spent on the Pacific solution during the Howard era - around one billion dollars

Money spent on dealing with asylum seekers since 2007 - greater than 10 billion (closer to 15 billion by now)

Money spent by Turkey on sheltering 210 thousand syrian refugees - US 2.5 billion dollars.

The anger is certainly misplaced.

I view the money spent on processing offshore to be more an attempt to discourage than to process, and if the evidence didn't suggest that just letting them in would encourage many many more, I'd consider it a waste.

Also, 'sheltering' (as for Turkey) and 'settling' (as would happen here) are quite different and the latter costs more (often for many years).

In my ideal set up, people would wait in camps, be processed and the 'best' candidates would be selected and brought to Australia for settlement ( best being based on a number of criteria, need and ability to fit in/contribute being the largest). Yeah, I know it's not that clean, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't encourage it to be so where possible. (OK, that's not really the ideal, the ideal would be nobody needing to be refugees in the first place)

Why the best? Well, if they have the skills to require less assistance and get off welfare faster (language, trade, etc) then we can afford to help more people (politically, socially and financially). Yeah, it's a bit cold, but when you accept you can't help everyone, you need to have some criteria in order to help as many as you can.

I view the money spent on processing offshore to be more an attempt to discourage than to process, and if the evidence didn't suggest that just letting them in would encourage many many more, I'd consider it a waste.

Also, 'sheltering' (as for Turkey) and 'settling' (as would happen here) are quite different and the latter costs more (often for many years).

In my ideal set up, people would wait in camps, be processed and the 'best' candidates would be selected and brought to Australia for settlement ( best being based on a number of criteria, need and ability to fit in/contribute being the largest). Yeah, I know it's not that clean, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't encourage it to be so where possible. (OK, that's not really the ideal, the ideal would be nobody needing to be refugees in the first place)

Why the best? Well, if they have the skills to require less assistance and get off welfare faster (language, trade, etc) then we can afford to help more people (politically, socially and financially). Yeah, it's a bit cold, but when you accept you can't help everyone, you need to have some criteria in order to help as many as you can.

yeah fair points.

I think the first step for a long term solution (that Australia can develop without forcing recalcitrant countries like Indonesia to play ball) is to foster relationships with countries of first refuge such as Turkey.

At the moment, we have a situation where asylum seekers on Christmas Island/Manus/Nauru don't want to be there.

And its very difficult for Australia to get rid of failed asylum seekers unless they "voluntarily" go home hence the atrocious accommodations. And in some situations such as for Syrians, its impossible to go home at all at the moment. So this expensive waiting game may go on for years before the detention centres are emptied.

This is a situation many countries face. Germany has hundreds of thousands of failed asylum seekers living on welfare with little rights to work but with great difficulty in deporting them. A social timebomb waiting to happen.

Labor had the right idea with the Malaysian solution (it wouldn't have worked back then but is possible now that the boats have largely stopped). Instead of continuing this game of "Survivor" a deal to make a swap with refugees in camps such as in Turkey or India shouldn't be that hard considering that it is a mutually beneficial arrangement for both countries. Even an 8 for 1 swap is probably cheaper than indefinite detention. That way the offshore centres can be quickly scaled down as well as providing an example for other countries wasting money on red tape.

Saying that the libs are definitely bonkers choosing Cambodia as a resettlement country

Interesting that people draw the line on "bleeding heart" when I'm sure many on this board have called politicians worse. See the juvenile Abbott gaffe thread.

I think Telsor is pointing out the lack of rationality on the issue by some which is fair enough.
One of my favourite threads;)

Evidently, the Greens don't love the environment and good policy more than wrecking Abbott's budget.
I think their beef was more about where the money raised by the excise was being spent, not the actual policy itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think their beef was more about where the money raised by the excise was being spent, not the actual policy itself.

That is indeed their point. Also It is entirely consistent with their transport policy of improved public transport, across the country & not just in the big cities.

Then they are hypocrites having had the decision to back it on the basis that they would do so because it was good for environment. Seems that they lied.

Nice try but we all who know the biggest political fibbers are.
The Greens decision is quite logical & a major part of their raison d'etre.
ROFL it incredibly goes against their fundamental platform.

Evidently, the Greens don't love the environment and good policy more than wrecking Abbott's budget.

see below.

Then they are hypocrites having had the decision to back it on the basis that they would do so because it was good for environment. Seems that they lied.

Greens made it perfectly clear that they'd support it provided the funds went to certain areas...and not to building more roads, which Abbott won't budge on.

see below.

Greens made it perfectly clear that they'd support it provided the funds went to certain areas...and not to building more roads, which Abbott won't budge on.
ROFL right and again this then makes the green members hypocritical and against their top platform of the environment extremly obviously. They don't want a fuel tax to be implemented on pollution but were happy to support carbon tax at a click of the fingers.

ROFL right and again this then makes the green members hypocritical and against their top platform of the environment extremly obviously. They don't want a fuel tax to be implemented on pollution but were happy to support carbon tax at a click of the fingers.

Carbon tax mainly affects the big polluters while an increase in the fuel tax mostly affects the poor.

Carbon tax mainly affects the big polluters while an increase in the fuel tax mostly affects the poor.
Right really so what about all Australia's transport businesses who will wallop the amount a family uses then??

We really have moved into a new alternative reality of making crap up to suit an agenda in Australia.
They have to pay higher electricty prices and other prices too as a result of it but keep denying it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back