Opinion Butcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things.

His field kicking seems to be pretty solid - and as someone else suggested his hands are lower when he kicks. More please.

Although he isn't kicking bags, i love what he is bringing to our forward line. Contests, no cheap marks in defence and is bringing our smalls into the game. Love his creativity too - it doesn't always come off - but the intent is awesome.

Part of me secretly wants Schulz to leave and the Dixon trade to fall over so butch can become the present, prove everyone wrong and become the biggest feel good story in football.

Not such a secret anymore.

Having Butch in the team has certainly straightened us up. Also have hardly seen an emptied out forward line recently, big fan of that! He was badly outnumbered at almost every contest but competed well creating opportunities or locking the ball in. No doubt in my mind that our game style looks better with Butch in the team.

Having Butch in the team has certainly straightened us up. Also have hardly seen an emptied out forward line recently, big fan of that! He was badly outnumbered at almost every contest but competed well creating opportunities or locking the ball in. No doubt in my mind that our game style looks better with Butch in the team.

Yup. Lobbe is objectively a better footballer than Butcher, but I think our side as a whole looks better with Ryder in the ruck and Butch up forward than with Lobbe in the ruck and Ryder up forward. Your 'best 22' isn't always the 22 best players on your list.

Yep. Butch still has his weakness , but at the moment that isn't really costing us. As I think it was tribes pointed out he constantly was sucking players into the aerial contest as the ball came in high last night. Such is his ability to get a run and jump and get his hands up that teams have to honour his contest by throwing numbers at him.

If this is the very worst he offers us next year , I player who can come in when we have an injured or out of form key forward and play a part that is absolutely worth a spot on our 40 man list.

If we don't have space in our list for a ready made back up forward we don't know football much less how to manage a list.

Listening to the interview with Justin Longmuir this morning on 5AA and he made mention of Simpson's belief that players need to have multiple strings to their bow to give the team the best depth possible, which has proved to be incredibly valuable for the Eagles this season.

Butcher has enough ability to be a versatile depth player that can fill a spot either back or forward. You don't just ditch players like that.

Yeah well after that game there's no reason not to. There was a glimmer of hope for him but he just snuffed it out. He could hardly have been presented with more opportunities but even his own team mates were avoiding involving him by late in the 3rd quarter.

Literally everything you have said in this post is wrong. It doesn't have one redeemable point.

Literally everything you have said in this post is wrong. It doesn't have one redeemable point.
Ah El_Scorcho, give it up. I enjoyed that last little ride and would have been happy to see him turn it around even if by doing so it proved several years of my posts wrong. But he has rarely missed a chance to miss a chance. He's gone. One goal in three games. A crippled Jay Schulz scored three in one game during that time.

Last edited:
10 touches, 5 marks including a couple of terrific contested marks, and =5th in the team for inside 50s on a night where it rained basically all game.

Provided a valuable target and was important in the 2nd half.

A goal would have been nice but, much like the people who ignored his goals throughout 2014, I'm focussing on his presence and general play, and that was pretty good. He still brings something that Schulz and Westhoff don't, and that's what the ability to regularly break even in a marking contest while outnumbered. That's very important given the way we play and the way teams set up against us.

Nope to both. Dud game. No score, no score involvements.
He hit Chad Wingard lace out with a 40+m kick that Chad dropped 20m out from goal. Sometimes it doesn't go your way.

Leads our club in average contested marks. Provides a marking target that his key forward teammates do not.

He hit Chad Wingard lace out with a 40+m kick that Chad dropped 20m out from goal. Sometimes it doesn't go your way.

Leads our club in average contested marks. Provides a marking target that his key forward teammates do not.
We know your obsession with him, it's actually quaintly charming. And really good on you for it, it's easy to just slag people off and it does get tiresome that it is some people's major contribution to this board. But there has to be a counter-balance.
This was a poor game that Butcher could not afford. If he gets selected next week it's a major win for you because it has to be read as the club looking past an injury-ridden 2013, and a largely awful 2014, to a slow and long overdue improvement in 2015. But saying he played really well against Gold Coast when he worked hard but struggled is pointless. It's like when you claimed he was our leading forward in the 2014 SANFL GF when he was a disaster, lucky to kick his single point.

We know your obsession with him, it's actually quaintly charming. And really good on you for it, it's easy to just slag people off and it does get tiresome that it is some people's major contribution to this board. But there has to be a counter-balance.
This was a poor game that Butcher could not afford. If he gets selected next week it's a major win for you because it has to be read as the club looking past an injury-ridden 2013, and a largely awful 2014, to a slow and long overdue improvement in 2015. But saying he played really well against Gold Coast when he worked hard but struggled is pointless.

He was fine, especially given the conditions. It's a really odd game to pick out.

It's like when you claimed he was our leading forward in the 2014 SANFL GF when he was a disaster, lucky to kick his single point.

He took the best defender (like he did all year) in a game where our ball movement was severely hampered by Norwood's press.

#carn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about our Johnny but he does add some energy to our forward line.

tumblr_lzke3n7qp51qchpilo1_r1_500.jpg

When it comes to KPFs, kicking accuracy surely has to be the number one attribute needed followed by contested marking. Butcher can take a contested mark....cool, he's shown over the years that he is a one trick pony in this department. But if you are going to spray the ball >90% of the time, taking contested marks within scoring distance means sweet FA. I'm sorry, Butch has had his chances many times and blown them. There's no point pinning false hope on the lad and trying to turn dirt into gold.

Butchers game was fine on the weekend, I quite liked his second half.

I've also heard though he's playing sanfl next week and that it had been decided and him told before the weekends game. (Possibly sanfl finals focus?)

Will be interesting to see if this third hand story is correct.

Butchers game was fine on the weekend, I quite liked his second half.

I've also heard though he's playing sanfl next week and that it had been decided and him told before the weekends game. (Possibly sanfl finals focus?)

Probably not a bad idea - the final against Westies will probably be higher intensity than the Freo game.

Remember how mad El_Scorcho was when we dropped Butcher against Brisbane? If we drop him against Peel Thunder I'm gonna have to put Scorch on my ignore list for the sake of my own sanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back