Opinion Butcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in this draft we will use it as adding to our Depth ... so I think we will get a KPD with one of our picks

Nick Jackson | Aspley
50 - 119
The inside word
Tall defender who reads the play well. Team-orientated, intercepts well and rebounds from defence.
Injury restricted him to just one game in NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and he collected 11 disposals and
four marks at 82 per cent efficiency. Member of the Brisbane Lions Academy

Nick Jackson is also a Port Adelaide fan and comes from a die hard Port supporting family. Attacks the contest hard and has tidy skills and makes good decisions with the ball in hand. If he'd come through the SANFL or the TAC cup, he'd be going a lot higher than his projected draft position as well. He'll be a great get late if we can get him.

I am a big Butch fan. He really does come across as a good bloke. He could be an absolute champion when/if (and that is a big if) he can get his kicking sorted. I don't think he could have any other role.
I don't know why they don't get him to hold the ball like Breust in this photo. Would sort out his awful ball drop. Works when coaching year 9s!
140808_training5.jpg

I am a big Butch fan. He really does come across as a good bloke. He could be an absolute champion when/if (and that is a big if) he can get his kicking sorted. I don't think he could have any other role.
I don't know why they don't get him to hold the ball like Breust in this photo. Would sort out his awful ball drop. Works when coaching year 9s!
140808_training5.jpg

I think it stems from his back and hamstrings but if you can't kick, you can't play football

I think it stems from his back and hamstrings but if you can't kick, you can't play football
Well even more problematic if he spends long down back is his contested marking has largely gone as well. He surprised me with a purple patch in the SANFL GF where he was winning contests in the middle of the ground. But up forward and down back he is beaten in the air pretty consistently.

Didn't he get a double hip Reco. a couple of years ago?

I just can't believe he has made it to AFL level with such a bad kicking technique.. I'd like to see his Draft combine kicking scores..

He'res hoping 2015 is a break out year for Butch, but odds are clearly stacked against him.. :oops:

Thing is Butcher is a sound field kick, it is his set shots that let him down. There are many players in the AFL I'm confident I can kick better than, but Butch is the only full forward set shot type.

Didn't he get a double hip Reco. a couple of years ago?

Maybe that is the answer. The kid had hip surgery and the sawbones did not align the bits properly when they put things back together? Result is his foot points out on angle so he cannot kick straight.

Well, we have heard just about every other excuse for Butcher so I might as well throw that one in the mix. :)

On a serious note I would agree that Butcher cannot afford a repeat of 2014. He has to do something next season or that will be it. It is hard to tell where he is at. Ken Hinkley keeps on saying encouraging things but doesn't appear to have much confidence in him. I guess Ken has to sound positive.

Anyone know if Butch is going to Dubai? If he can get another full pre season under his belt including Dubai, I think we will see him step up big time next year. Confidence is killing him, we all know this. However knowing you are fit and injury free is the biggest confidence boost you can give someone. That alone will have him walking with his head high.

Butch has moved out of the house with him, heath and hitchy, as the other 2 have gone seperate ways from AFL footy. Hopefully he finds another place stable to work on his confidence and form

Sure, we have one tall defender for depth and that is clurey. You can't compare their 2014 sanfl seasons due to their different positions but I know what your trying to get at. What I'm saying is what happens if one or two or three of Carlile, Hombsch, trengove or ryder go down with injury at worst on the LTI; sure clurey will come in to cover one of them but after that we've got no one. O'Shea? More of an intercepting flanker, I still remember the game against west coast when he got pantsed by darling 1 on 1 imagine if he had to play on man mountains such as cloke or Hawkins; no chance. Stewart? Possibly but at 191 I don't want him to be playing on resting ruckman. I'm not saying butcher can do all these things but who says he's not capable of it? We just need to groom him and give him a defensive mindset and just maybe, he could prove to be valuable depth.

Exactly 5 minutes, what are the chance of him exceling straight away when you only give him a limited amount of time with surely no preparation? 5 minutes is not a long enough sample to say his successful at the position or not that's why I would push for maybe 5-10 games to see if he gets the hang of it.

Look at the top team; They lost Gibson, Lake and Stratton for a considerable amount of time their depth? Litherland 13 games, Spangher 15 games, Schonmakers 15 games. You want us to be a premiership in the next few years? Its going to take more than one key position defender as depth.

Who says he has to replace any of those players? He wont be replacing anyone in our forward line currently moreso with the addition of ryder and realistically with the development of shaw I wouldn't be surprised if mason overtakes him throughout the year. He can be valuable depth in the backline as we virtually have no depth besides clurey

I hear you.

It makes sense to teach him a KPD role at the Magpies and to hope it doesn't come to that at AFL level in 2015.

Apart from that its all sounding a bit like the Nick Salter story to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Butcher could learn a thing or two from Ryder as a second tap
Really? Butcher's going to push Lobbe and eventually Redden out? Where does Butch drift once the ruck has taken place, down forward?

Really? Butcher's going to push Lobbe and eventually Redden out? Where does Butch drift once the ruck has taken place, down forward?

Into the future?

Ok you win

I just feel for the kid. He seems to have everything but confidence and nerves.

Maybe he should hire the film wizard of oz this summer.

Maybe that is the answer. The kid had hip surgery and the sawbones did not align the bits properly when they put things back together? Result is his foot points out on angle so he cannot kick straight.

Well, we have heard just about every other excuse for Butcher so I might as well throw that one in the mix. :)

On a serious note I would agree that Butcher cannot afford a repeat of 2014. He has to do something next season or that will be it. It is hard to tell where he is at. Ken Hinkley keeps on saying encouraging things but doesn't appear to have much confidence in him. I guess Ken has to sound positive.
And on a more serious note as well, one thing I noticed after his double hip operation is that his gait changed.

Into the future?

Ok you win

I just feel for the kid. He seems to have everything but confidence and nerves.

Maybe he should hire the film wizard of oz this summer.

Everyone feels for Butch and wants him to do well. But trying to turn him into a second ruck or a defender seems like shoehorning him into a role just for the sake of finding something for him to do. He either makes it as a key forward or he doesn't make it at all. Let's hope he has a year out of the box in 2015.

i know people wont say it but Bitch was our best preformed forward at SANFL level. took the best defender every week. and when he was missing , shaw and harvey struggled....
Bit harsh.

Ken has a lot of faith in Butch. Anytime you hear him speak about Butch, it's always 'Butcher young, Butcher is a project, there's no pressure on Butcher'.

If Ken can't bring out the best in Butch in the next 2-3 years or show big steps towards the future - there will be no career anywhere for him. But we will keep him until we know for sure.

i know people wont say it but Butch was our best preformed forward at SANFL level. took the best defender every week. and when he was missing , shaw and harvey struggled....

edited as the i and the u are to close together!!

With no recognised ruckman for nearly the whole year Harvey and Shaw were asked to ruck a hell of a lot. So it stands to reason that when Butcher wasn't there, and one of Shaw and Harvey being forced into the ruck, that the last lone key forward of the pair would somewhat struggle carrying the load by himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back